Vikings X: Halfway Through the Madness

Corvinus85

4 hours ago, Astromech said:

Meh, I don't care if Lagertha has a female lover. All the men in her life suck, so why shouldn't she try something new.

It's not that which makes me lose faith, it's Hirst. He has a way of making everything sound like an absolutely awful idea. And that translated to screen in 4A. I have very little hope for this series

7 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

It's not that which makes me lose faith, it's Hirst. He has a way of making everything sound like an absolutely awful idea. And that translated to screen in 4A. I have very little hope for this series

In his defense, this actually is an awful idea. It doesn't just sound like one :P 

2 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

The idea of Ragnar's sons compared to the Beatles is hilarious.  Ivar is John, Ubba is Paul?  Sigurd is George.  Which one is Ringo, Bjorn or Halfdan?

Halfdan of course, he's the most inconsequential of the lot. 

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I hate these shows. Documentaries for stupid people.

It always surprises me how little history there is in those type of shows. Rather odd really, given the network's name :) 

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

It was only a matter of time before he went full Hirst on us.

On 8/15/2016 at 10:20 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

The worst part is I actually saw this coming. 

Also not for nothing but I never really got the vibe that Lagertha was actually in love with Kalf, more than she was just using him. So either my viewing was completely off, or Michael Hirst just didn't know what he was writing...not to give myself too much credit but I'm going to guess its the latter.

In general though, I'll probably watch it anyway but after this past half season I've given up on expecting actual quality from this show.

7 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Rotten Tomatoes sucks balls @dooog. If you have to rely on a review aggregator use metacritic :) 

Unfortunately Metacritic is almost as much of a joke, they consistently scored both Sons of Anarchy and The Walking Dead in the 80s :mellow:

On 8/23/2016 at 4:00 PM, dooog said:

The review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reported a 100% approval rating, with an average rating of 8/10 based on five reviews

In what sort of inverted bizarro universe does season 4 get this rating?

I think the "based on five reviews" part is your answer.

• 3 weeks later...
On July 23, 2016 at 10:22 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

I'm surprised at the reception to the trailer here actually. I thought it looked very flashy but in terms of story promised a plot as bad as last half of the season. But we'll see.

Hide contents

I'm brand new here but surprised at the level of bitterness and cynicism.  A great trailer for season 4B at Comic con, and you can't just be optimistic?   "It's probably hiding a lousy story."  ooooooookkkkkkkk...

I love the show and get that it's by no means perfect but one season or one episode deemed as "off" (which had happened on Thrones, witness Sandsnakes ) does not mean  a battle of the Bastards isn't coming in the next season. 

Has anyone heard when 4B is premiering? 

In in the meantime, if you're into spoilers, there are some badass battles coming if you checkout the Instagram of the actor playing the grown up Ivar the Boneless.  

https://www.instagram.com/alexhoeghandersen/?hl=en

1 hour ago, generalzod said:

I'm brand new here but surprised at the level of bitterness and cynicism.  A great trailer for season 4B at Comic con, and you can't just be optimistic?   "It's probably hiding a lousy story."  ooooooookkkkkkkk...

I love the show and get that it's by no means perfect but one season or one episode deemed as "off" (which had happened on Thrones, witness Sandsnakes ) does not mean  a battle of the Bastards isn't coming in the next season. 

Has anyone heard when 4B is premiering? 

In in the meantime, if you're into spoilers, there are some badass battles coming if you checkout the Instagram of the actor playing the grown up Ivar the Boneless.  

https://www.instagram.com/alexhoeghandersen/?hl=en

I'm cynical because season 4A (not just one episode, the whole season) was complete and utter crap, yet it had looked great in the trailers. The writing for this show is terrible right now, and no amount of impressive visuals is going to cover that up. 

episode 1, Season 4... Ragnar has visions of Valhalla, Floki arrested, Rollo massacres the Vikings, Lagertha castrates   Her rival.  Great episode.

bjorn fights the berserker.  Fucking awesome.

ragnar gets high with Yidu, eats a snake, rows in that tiny boat.  Hilarious.

ragnar drowns Yidu while his kids watch.  Holy shit. 

Ragnar digs the grave for Angrboda.  Heartbreaking.

aethelwulf has an awesome, knockdown drag out, bare knuckled fistfight to the death to rescue Queen Keenthrith.

Crazy  Vikings burn the French soldiers to death .

crazy Vikings horribly rape and kill a family  and blind the dad, and sing on their way out.

Floki tied up in the cave with water dripping like the story of Loki and the serpent

Vikings portage/fitzcarraldo their boats over land.

Ragnar and Bjorn console Lagertha when she miscarries.

the vision Ragnar has of his daughter Gyda being alive and he's still married to Lagertha and Athelstan is still alive too... With the mythic white horse mixed in. 

that messed up Yol ceremony where Ragnar looks like Darth Maul.

episode 7 I think... Drug addicted Ragnar gets his ass kicked by Rollo.  Viking boats burn, ships sink.

Rollo collapses in the streets of Paris, "Hail Caesar!"

WHO WANTS TO BE KING????

im not saying every moment, every episode was a gem but don't be a hater.  This season had some great moments, great scenes, and even some flat out great episodes.

10 hours ago, generalzod said:

episode 1, Season 4... Ragnar has visions of Valhalla, Floki arrested, Rollo massacres the Vikings, Lagertha castrates   Her rival.  Great episode.

bjorn fights the berserker.  Fucking awesome.

ragnar gets high with Yidu, eats a snake, rows in that tiny boat.  Hilarious.

ragnar drowns Yidu while his kids watch.  Holy shit. 

Ragnar digs the grave for Angrboda.  Heartbreaking.

aethelwulf has an awesome, knockdown drag out, bare knuckled fistfight to the death to rescue Queen Keenthrith.

Crazy  Vikings burn the French soldiers to death .

crazy Vikings horribly rape and kill a family  and blind the dad, and sing on their way out.

Floki tied up in the cave with water dripping like the story of Loki and the serpent

Vikings portage/fitzcarraldo their boats over land.

Ragnar and Bjorn console Lagertha when she miscarries.

the vision Ragnar has of his daughter Gyda being alive and he's still married to Lagertha and Athelstan is still alive too... With the mythic white horse mixed in. 

that messed up Yol ceremony where Ragnar looks like Darth Maul.

episode 7 I think... Drug addicted Ragnar gets his ass kicked by Rollo.  Viking boats burn, ships sink.

Rollo collapses in the streets of Paris, "Hail Caesar!"

WHO WANTS TO BE KING????

im not saying every moment, every episode was a gem but don't be a hater.  This season had some great moments, great scenes, and even some flat out great episodes.

Jeez, Michael. Give it a rest.

On 11/09/2016 at 11:46 AM, Spockydog said:

Jeez, Michael. Give it a rest.

Some of these highlights must be in the 2 episodes I'm still finding little motivation to watch. I'd argue some of that list was "hilariously bad" rather than genuinely cool.

General Zod should make a season 4a trailer though :)

Archived