Vikings X: Halfway Through the Madness

Corvinus85

I do love that Ivar could hold his own against his brothers if they came at him one at a time.  I hate how he is (of course) the victim of another disabled stereotype angry at the world because he can’t perform sexually.  He’s going to be the bad ass chess master in all of this and I can’t wait to see it.   

I think its really awesome that 3 out of 4 of Ragnar’s children told him to go fuck himself (ok maybe not in so many words) this opens the possibility of new places to go besides the same 3 stupid places we’ve been stuck in for 3 seasons and we got through an entire episode without Ragnar fantasizing about a wild night of passion with Athelstan but to be fair I’m sure they are saving that for the final episode. 

3 hours ago, Crazydog7 said:

I do love that Ivar could hold his own against his brothers if they came at him one at a time.  I hate how he is (of course) the victim of another disabled stereotype angry at the world because he can’t perform sexually.  He’s going to be the bad ass chess master in all of this and I can’t wait to see it.   

I think its really awesome that 3 out of 4 of Ragnar’s children told him to go fuck himself (ok maybe not in so many words) this opens the possibility of new places to go besides the same 3 stupid places we’ve been stuck in for 3 seasons and we got through an entire episode without Ragnar fantasizing about a wild night of passion with Athelstan but to be fair I’m sure they are saving that for the final episode

Oh, I'm certain Ragnar will have a vision of Athelstan at his death. I hope Athelstan is in Valhalla so Floki can eventually kill him every day for eternity :) 

That was an ok episode, clearly just a way to set-up everything that going down in the rest of the half-season. Ragnar and Ivar going to England and presumably involving themselves with all that boring Wessex bullshit. Bjorn, Floki and Hvitserk going to Italy and brining with them Harald, Halfdan and Rollo, which means we'll have to endure at least some Paris bullshit. And then we got Lagertha vs Auslag, because that is clearly what Lagertha is gearing up for.

They are also clearly laying the groundwork for a show without Ragnar Lothbrok.

I really liked the scene with Ragnar and Floki, complete with a Torstein shout-out. Otherwise Ivar was probably the standout, although I quite like Ubbe too amongst the brothers. 

I still hate Torvi though.

3 hours ago, Astromech said:

Oh, I'm certain Ragnar will have a vision of Athelstan at his death. I hope Athelstan is in Valhalla so Floki can eventually kill him every day for eternity :) 

To quote Mr. Burns Sir I am in your debt.  Maybe Floki killing Athelstan will be released with the DLC.  Its a damn shame we don't have a like button anymore. 

42 minutes ago, Crazydog7 said:

To quote Mr. Burns Sir I am in your debt.  Maybe Floki killing Athelstan will be released with the DLC.  Its a damn shame we don't have a like button anymore. 

I never hated Athelstan, necessarily, but could not stand everyone's fascination with him. I loved Floki even before that. He's definitely been my favorite since :)

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

I never hated Athelstan, necessarily, but could not stand everyone's fascination with him. I loved Floki even before that. He's definitely been my favorite since :)

Athelstan was never a bad character, it was the irrational obsession all the other characters on the show seemed to have for him that drove me potty. It was all just stupid.

Why oh why is Torvi still in this. 

Oh my god! Why does this show suck so bad!!??!! It doesn't have to be so horrible!

There are plenty of interesting and well made parts of this episode, but they're buried in stupid dumb stuff for no reason. I lost count of the meaningless sex scenes at about 6.

On 12/1/2016 at 8:13 PM, Pony Queen Jace said:

Oh my god! Why does this show suck so bad!!??!! It doesn't have to be so horrible!

There are plenty of interesting and well made parts of this episode, but they're buried in stupid dumb stuff for no reason. I lost count of the meaningless sex scenes at about 6.

Wowz.   You know more than EW and all the dumb critics! 

What to Watch Wednesday: Vikings jumps to the futureEntertainment Weekly Online

By Ray Rahman

November 30, 2016

PICK OF THE NIGHT – Vikings, History, 8 p.m. – Everyone’s favorite Ragnar returns to the screen tonight as the gritty historical drama resumes its fourth season. What can you expect? Take a look at our exclusive sneak peek to find out. (Hint: It involves a time jump.)

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/30/what-watch-wednesday-vikings?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

And IGN:

VIKINGS: “THE OUTSIDER” REVIEWIGN

By Matt Fowler

November 30, 2016
The second half of Vikings' fourth season -- which basically feels like a fifth season thanks to that time jump at the end of midseason finale -- kicked things off with a ragged, regretful Ragnar weighed down by his massive failures. "The Outsider" featured the fractured King doing somewhat of a (final) apology tour as he visited upon his sons, Floki, and Lagertha in an attempt to reconnect, once more, with his past before offing himself. The second half of Vikings' fourth season -- which basically feels like a fifth season thanks to that time jump at the end of midseason finale -- kicked things off with a ragged, regretful Ragnar weighed down by his massive failures. "The Outsider" featured the fractured King doing somewhat of a (final) apology tour as he visited upon his sons, Floki, and Lagertha in an attempt to reconnect, once more, with his past before offing himself.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/12/01/vikings-the-outsider-review

and Forbes:

'Vikings' Midseason Premiere Review: The Outsider,Forbes.com

By Erik Kain

December 1, 2016

Vikings returns Wednesday night to a story of sex and love and, oddly enough, some poignant farewells. Ragnar may have just returned to Kattegat, but he’s already saying goodbye to his loved ones. Ragnar is off to England to seek his vengeance there against the conniving King Ecbert. Bjorn, and those who prefer to follow him, would rather set sail for Rome and new, unspoiled shores. It’s these farewells that struck me most about the midseason premiere. When Ragnar tells Floki that he loves him, I don’t mind admitting I got a little teary-eyed. It’s the words Floki has so desperately longed to hear, all through the previous season and the first half of Season 4. Ever since he killed the monk, Athelstan, and he and Ragnar split ways. Even after Ragnar tortured him and took him from his family, all Floki has wanted was Ragnar’s love.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/12/01/vikings-midseason-premiere-review-the-outsider/#5042ce45764a

And AV CLUB:

In its contemplative return,Vikings asks who wants to be kingA.V. Club

By Dennis Perkins

November 30, 2016

Toward the end of “The Outsider,” Ragnar’s four youngest sons contemplate their father’s unexpected return to Kattegat. The most resentful of the four, Sigurd, dismisses his brothers’ opinions of their famous father, pronouncing, “Our father is defeated. All the magic of his past raids and successes was also lost. Nobody loves him anymore.”

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/its-contemplative-returnvikings-asks-who-wants-be--246534

and Bleedingcool... and...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/11/30/raiding-time-history-channels-vikings-midseason-premiere-outsider/

haters gonna hate, I guess.   Huge ratings for the new night and time.  Last Kingdom does 1/10 the numbers of Vikings.

22 hours ago, Zorral said:

Reading the remarks posted after this new episode has heighten my disinclination to watch.  And I haven't.

Good.  More Ivar the Boneless for me... less for you! 

From AV Club Review:

Høgh is a canny choice for Ivar, his hooded, creepy stare and ready smirk marking him out as the archetypical coddled bully (think Joffrey), but his easily wounded countenance admitting enough humanity to keep him just this side of relatable. This even after the disturbing scene where—after failing to lose his virginity to Margrethe, procured for him by his brothers—he attempts to strangle the young woman to hide his shame. Unlike Game Of Thrones, Vikings’ approach to the often predatory and matter-of-fact sexuality of its brutal world is rarely exploitative, but this sequence comes close—at least at first. The sight of the deceptively muscular Ivar mounting this powerless girl from behind and pulling a cord around her throat while she begs for mercy recalls some of Thrones’ ugliest excesses, Ivar’s sneering “I like killing” seemingly signalling the series’ embrace of an out-and-out psychopath track for the character. It’s only when Margrethe manages to soothe Ivar’s rage with a speech equal parts canny and blunt does the dynamic shift...

35 minutes ago, generalzod said:

By Ray Rahman

November 30, 2016

PICK OF THE NIGHT – Vikings, History, 8 p.m. – Everyone’s favorite Ragnar returns to the screen tonight as the gritty historical drama resumes its fourth season. What can you expect? Take a look at our exclusive sneak peek to find out. (Hint: It involves a time jump.)

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/30/what-watch-wednesday-vikings?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

And IGN:

By Matt Fowler

November 30, 2016
The second half of Vikings' fourth season -- which basically feels like a fifth season thanks to that time jump at the end of midseason finale -- kicked things off with a ragged, regretful Ragnar weighed down by his massive failures. "The Outsider" featured the fractured King doing somewhat of a (final) apology tour as he visited upon his sons, Floki, and Lagertha in an attempt to reconnect, once more, with his past before offing himself. The second half of Vikings' fourth season -- which basically feels like a fifth season thanks to that time jump at the end of midseason finale -- kicked things off with a ragged, regretful Ragnar weighed down by his massive failures. "The Outsider" featured the fractured King doing somewhat of a (final) apology tour as he visited upon his sons, Floki, and Lagertha in an attempt to reconnect, once more, with his past before offing himself.

and Forbes:

By Erik Kain

December 1, 2016

Vikings returns Wednesday night to a story of sex and love and, oddly enough, some poignant farewells. Ragnar may have just returned to Kattegat, but he’s already saying goodbye to his loved ones. Ragnar is off to England to seek his vengeance there against the conniving King Ecbert. Bjorn, and those who prefer to follow him, would rather set sail for Rome and new, unspoiled shores. It’s these farewells that struck me most about the midseason premiere. When Ragnar tells Floki that he loves him, I don’t mind admitting I got a little teary-eyed. It’s the words Floki has so desperately longed to hear, all through the previous season and the first half of Season 4. Ever since he killed the monk, Athelstan, and he and Ragnar split ways. Even after Ragnar tortured him and took him from his family, all Floki has wanted was Ragnar’s love.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/12/01/vikings-midseason-premiere-review-the-outsider/#5042ce45764a

And AV CLUB:

By Dennis Perkins

November 30, 2016

Toward the end of “The Outsider,” Ragnar’s four youngest sons contemplate their father’s unexpected return to Kattegat. The most resentful of the four, Sigurd, dismisses his brothers’ opinions of their famous father, pronouncing, “Our father is defeated. All the magic of his past raids and successes was also lost. Nobody loves him anymore.”

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/its-contemplative-returnvikings-asks-who-wants-be--246534

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/11/30/raiding-time-history-channels-vikings-midseason-premiere-outsider/

haters gonna hate, I guess.   Huge ratings for the new night and time.  Last Kingdom does 1/10 the numbers of Vikings.

here's no critical judgment involved here.  They say neither yes nor no, merely the fact that that it was.  There's a huge difference.

As for Last Kingdom's viewer numbers, how does anyone know what the numbers are?  It's streaming on netflix.  It may have been on theBBC television network in the UK -- I don't know.  But it is streaming on netflix both there and here.

54 minutes ago, Zorral said:

here's no critical judgment involved here.  They say neither yes nor no, merely the fact that that it was.  There's a huge difference.

As for Last Kingdom's viewer numbers, how does anyone know what the numbers are?  It's streaming on netflix.  It may have been on theBBC television network in the UK -- I don't know.  But it is streaming on netflix both there and here.

On November 9 in +3, the Last Kingdom gets 200,000 viewers in adults 18-49

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dvr-ratings/cable-live-3-ratings-nov-9-15-2015/

Vikings is the No. 1 telecast on Thursday nights on cable in all key demos in Live +3, pulling in 4.2 million total viewers, 2.1 million Adults 25-54 and 1.9 million Adults 18-49. The remaining 10 episodes from the 20-episode Season 4 will air later this year.

https://www.google.com/amp/deadline.com/2016/03/vikings-renewed-season-5-history-jonathan-rhys-meyers-1201722220/amp/

In short, Last Kingdom is around 1/10th as popular and wouldn't ever have been greenlit had Vikings, which premiered 3 years earlier, not been a massive international success. 

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

???

PICK OF THE NIGHT  EW

“If you are looking for a show to meet some of your ‘Game of Thrones’ needs, try ‘Vikings’…” – New York Times

" a level of bad-assery we don’t often see in series...the depiction of religion in ‘Vikings’ is what makes it extraordinary."  – Salon.com

B+  AVCLUB

IGN:  

THE VERDICT

"The Outsider" was a great gateway into the second half of Season 4, giving us a worn down, defeated Ragnar on a final quest to seek forgiveness. Ultimately, things didn't work out the way he planned (he'd planned for a fairly grim, unceremonious end), but I could still see this all of these scenes as his final meaningful moments with these characters before he takes off to try and kill King Ecbert.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 8:26 AM, Crazydog7 said:

I have a feeling that Ivar's inability to perform has nothing to do with his disability... If I remember my Jim Jeffries bits correctly.... I have a feeling that it was in his head... (the one on top).... and by the time it's all said and done, Ivar and those baby blues will be making the rounds...

Then again, maybe I'm wrong.

So far I'm all in on Ivar.

He's like a crippled Ragnar with anger control issues... but the intelligence and humor and unpredictability is all there. 

I love what they've done with him.  How is a cripple respected in a society that values fighting, war, strength, and conquest?   Ivar has figure out you need to be the deadliest, don't fuck with me cat in Kattegat.

Ubbe and Hvitserk seem to love him but Sigurd hated his guts it looks like.

24 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Quantity of viewers =/= quality of content. See also, Michael Bay.

Quantity of Viewers + Critical Acclaim = Hit Television Series 

Vikings has both

Last Kingdom has one 

From Variety:

"With “Vikings” lustily pillaging its way through History, “The Last Kingdom” — a BBC Americadrama that covers very similar terrain — initially seems a trifle superfluous. Soon enough, though, this eight-part series (half of which was screened) proves its mettle as a worthy, somewhat complementary variation on that show."

from the same Variety reviewer:

Most impressively, “Vikings” captures the grim reality of these times and the limitations of these characters — barbarous, superstitious creatures that they are — in a manner that draws one into their world without necessarily evoking sympathy for it. And even the ostensible good guys, like Ragnar, are prone to do very bad things, without making them any less watchable.

There has always been a certain romance surrounding the Vikings, which explains why there’s another series (BBC America’s “The Last Kingdom”) set in virtually the same historical era. Still, what Hirst and company have accomplished in terms of creating an appointment series on a channel with at best a modest scripted portfolio is no small feat. And in TV, as in the bloody eighth century, to the victor go the spoils.

5 hours ago, generalzod said:

By Ray Rahman

November 30, 2016

And IGN:

By Matt Fowler

November 30, 2016

and Forbes:

By Erik Kain

December 1, 2016

And AV CLUB:

By Dennis Perkins

November 30, 2016

Bruh. You're so desperate to defend this show you spent the last however many posts of this thread puffing out your chest over... what? I said I thought the show was horrible. You cannot disagree with that, it is my opinion. I never suggested it was more or less valuable than any critic or... TV channel?

I also said there were plenty of things I liked, but I found the abundance of sex scenes needless and detracting. You cannot dismiss my distaste of these unneeded scenes by throwing reviews at me because the only thing in my entire comment that is not expressly an opinion is the number I referenced. Which was about 6. And there are... at least 6?

If you love the show enough to marry it, all the power to you kid. I'm still going to watch it, 'cause I love Travis Flammel and I also find Ivar to be a pretty interesting character when he's not bemoaning his impotence or being overly weird. I think Beorn is now broad enough to not fit through my bedroom door (to my dismay), and I enjoy Floky as a character. I even love to reminisce about when Lagertha was cool and not inexplicably lesbian.

There's plenty I like about Vikings. That doesn't mean I am unable to see its very fatal flaws.

Archived