Vikings X: Halfway Through the Madness

Corvinus85

Lagertha looked, well, as though

Spoiler

she's going to be the one to rid us of Aslaug forever.

The trailer did look promising.  But that's the job of trailers.

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

The trailer did look promising.  But that's the job of trailers.

Are you sure, because Hollywood doesn't always agree I think :P 

57 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

Same here. I just can't help it.

:cheers:

3 hours ago, red snow said:

Force Ghost Ragnar would be a compromise, I guess. Given Athelstan's constant post death guest slots it wouldn't be so drastic.

Better than one of his children just happening to be identical to Ragnar, I guess. Although it could pose an interesting angle for the actor.

I think we'll definitely see some Ragnaresk moments from all of his children though, with Ivar as the most connected to Ragnar via the dreams. I wouldn't be surprised if he's turned into some sort of dark avatar through which the ghost of Ragnar can always keep on influencing events (like, it would be sweet if Ivar managed to rid the world of Rollo finally, through his father's council or something like it in the future). 

I'm surprised at the reception to the trailer here actually. I thought it looked very flashy but in terms of story promised a plot as bad as last half of the season. But we'll see.

More Paris has be cursing inwardly already. 

inagree with Zorral on Lagertha. One highlight of the season, hopefully

On Ragnar

I'm with Veltigar, I thought him getting into the cage was his pre-death scene

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I'm surprised at the reception to the trailer here actually. I thought it looked very flashy 

I'm very susceptible to razzle-dazzling :P 

but in terms of story promised a plot as bad as last half of the season. 

I have to disagree with that. There was a lot of potential in this trailer. The Vikings finally raiding the Mediterranean Basin is something I'm really looking forward to. I have recently been reading Frankopan's The Silk Roads and there is fascinating stuff there to be explored. I'm also mildly curious to see how Hirst anti-Christian bias will play out in that particular storyline, since his take on Muslims will be enlightening. After all, the Islamic people in those days were far ahead (and way more tolerant) to the backwaters of Europe. 

Ragnar's relationship with his children is also one of the more consistent highlights throughout this series. His farewell to Gitta or when he took baby Ivar in the woods, those are the moments I'll always remember about this series. I'd like to see how his sons have grown and I'd love to see his influence on all of them (but Ivar in particular, he's definitely the key player next season). 

The struggle between Aslaug and Lagertha is also long overdue. Both characters have basically been treading waters for the past couple of seasons, so it would be nice to finally start this long gestating plot up. Especially is Lagertha kicks some ass and gets rid of Aslaug :P 

I also think a gifted storyteller could do a lot with the end of Ragnar. Not just through his relation with his kids, but also how he carries his eventual fate. Did he plan to go down like this? Did he have a premonition all those years ago? There are a lot of interesting ways to play that. Especially if you have a topnotch actor like Fimmel to do your bidding.

Of course, this is all just potential. Ultimately, you are right that it's going to be wait and see. Personally, I think every season of this show so far has had some awesome storytelling potential in it (possible exception is the first half of this particular season). Take for instance season three, I personally didn't like it all that much, but a better screenwriter could have done some awesome things with that material. 

Anyway, the fate of this season, as always, is in the hands of Michael Hirst. I would have liked a more capable writer at the helm, but who knows, he managed to amaze us all with that second season, perhaps he can repeat that achievement. We can't give up hope ;) 

More Paris has be cursing inwardly already. 

It looks mercefully short though. Plus, with all the rest he has to build-up, I think that has got to take up a small amount of time. 

Reveal hidden contents

I'm with Veltigar, I thought him getting into the cage was his pre-death scene

I admired his dignity and poise in that scene :) 

Great trailer, but very cautiously optimistic on quality. It is still Hirst. Johnathan Rhys Meyers has been cast. Who's next, Henry Cavill? Still excited to see some of these scenes play out, namely Lagertha kicking ass.

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

Great trailer, but very cautiously optimistic on quality. It is still Hirst. Johnathan Rhys Meyers has been cast. Who's next, Henry Cavill? Still excited to see some of these scenes play out, namely Lagertha kicking ass.

Rhys Meyers can actually act though, unlike Henry Cavill :P 

EDIT: Certainly, Hirst wouldn't want to hire an actor who is even worse than his youngest daughter on this show. All the attention for crappy acting needs to go to her damn it! 

13 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

EDIT: Certainly, Hirst wouldn't want to hire an actor who is even worse than his youngest daughter on this show. All the attention for crappy acting needs to go to her damn it! 

Haha, true but it would be consistent with the, errr, discrepancy of acting ability on the show.

9 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Haha, true but it would be consistent with the, errr, discrepancy of acting ability on the show.

At least Henry Cavill's wooden style of "acting" could feel somewhat appropriate on this show. I think he could really play a great rudder for instance or perhaps a mast or a piece of the deck? :P 

EDIT: We could have like one long story arc in which Floki uses Henry Cavill to make the boat that will eventually lead him to Iceland.

2 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I think he's got over his alcoholism now - which is what lead to some of his more wobbly moments on Tudors. He definitely has more presence than Cavill. I don't know if Cavill is naturally wooden or whether his roles haven't allowed him to shine. The whole point of his superman is that the world has sucked all sense of enjoyment and fun from him. Now a Ragnar style superman would have been a glimpse of what Nic Cage superman could have been :)

A better arc would be to set Cavill up for his own spin-off show and then have it immediately hijacked by his co-star.

31 minutes ago, red snow said:

A better arc would be to set Cavill up for his own spin-off show and then have it immediately hijacked by his co-star.

That sounds super familiar :P 

32 minutes ago, red snow said:

Nic Cage superman could have been :)

One of the great missed opportunities of our age :( 

32 minutes ago, red snow said:

I don't know if Cavill is naturally wooden or whether his roles haven't allowed him to shine.

If the guy went hiking in the Amazon rainforest, he would risk getting chopped down by illegal lumberjackers. That's how naturally wooden he is :P 

Vikings has always looked great, so it stands to reason the trailer would look great. It is beautifully made.

I will watch it out of curiosity and to enjoy the visuals but I think it has tried to bite off more than it can chew with its branching storylines in England and France. I think it would have been more suited to sticking to Ragnar in a rise-and-fall character study.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Lol, if it was anyone but Hirst, I would think this a joke XD Ah well, I bet we'll probably get a repeat from 4A. Ragnar will be cool and do some neat stuff, most else will suck. Sic semper Vikings I suppose. It's been like that since season two.

6 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The idea of Ragnar's sons compared to the Beatles is hilarious.  Ivar is John, Ubba is Paul?  Sigurd is George.  Which one is Ringo, Bjorn or Halfdan?

Archived