Video Games: 'Does Not Open From This Side' Edition

KiDisaster

There's three areas in Last Light where you can shoot humans in self-defense and the game doesn't count it as killing. I don't quite remember which, but they are sections where fighting is unskippable. I know the final level is like that for instance.

And now I need to decide if I buy Battlefleet Gothic: Armada or Banner Saga 2. The former looks pretty tempting, I haven't played a good RTS in ages and apparently it is pretty solid.

The most common complaints I've seen so far is that it is kinda hard, but that doesn't faze me. I've beaten Starcraft II's campaigns on Brutal, which were freaking hard apart from HotS. Bring it.

12 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

I've got my Sharp Uchi+6 and my Pyro Flame+6. Been finding plenty of large shards lately but haven't found a single chunk yet.

I think I had one chunk at the time and ended up finding my second fairly shortly after where you're at.  Once you get to Lothric castle there are a lot more chunks to be had.

For this area it is imperative to take it slow.  If you know where the 2nd bonfire is there is always the option to just book it through this part too and get to that bonfire.  I ended up dying right before the bonfire on one of my slow attempts and then just ran through the area and came back to get the 1-2 items I missed.  One mistake here is back to the beginning.

Yeah once I made it to the second bonfire in the church the area became a lot less aggravating. Not having to go through those three veiled enemies at the very beginning, and the two fire staff dickbags, and then two more of the goddamn veiled things at the same time, is a major improvement. Boss wrecked me on the first attempt though. I'll give that another go after work. Then it's downward into the dungeons I suppose. 

14 hours ago, Gears of the Beast said:

I didn't know BF4 was even on those old consoles. Frostbite is optimised really well but it must have run like shit?

It actually wasn't bad at all. Didn't look nearly as good as the XB1, but it ran quite smoothly. 

14 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

I've got my Sharp Uchi+6 and my Pyro Flame+6. Been finding plenty of large shards lately but haven't found a single chunk yet.

The crow trades a chunk for a black firebomb if I recall properly, that could be a good place to start.

EDIT: And one of the crystal lizards in the Smouldering Lake drops one as well.

4 hours ago, Fez said:

Anyway, playing FFIX again is everything I could've hoped for. Granted, I'm being consumed by overwhelming nostalgia, but even so, I think its a really great game. Its still crashing too much, but I discovered that there's now an auto-save every time I change screens, so I've never lost more than a minute or two of progress.

Final Fantasy IX hasn't crashed a single time for me, and I'm midway into disk three content right now.  Maybe try validating the files?

4 hours ago, Jasta11 said:

There's three areas in Last Light where you can shoot humans in self-defense and the game doesn't count it as killing. I don't quite remember which, but they are sections where fighting is unskippable. I know the final level is like that for instance.

I've read a bit about the Shadow Ranger requirements because, obviously, I am going for the achievement and didn't want to miss it.  The train sequence is one of them, which I've already done.  It's technically possible to do it without killing anyone, but you're probably looking at a couple of hours worth of attempts and you're pretty much at the mercy of RNG.  I just wasn't willing to put in that kind of time, so I killed everyone on the train outside of the last armored guy, who I just shot to stagger him then ran up and punched him to save ammo.

The second area is Red Square, which is where I am currently heading in the game.  Like the train, this can be done without shooting anyone outside of a certain character whose name I will leave out of this post for spoiler purposes.  The rest of the guys can be knocked out, and you can mostly hide from the snipers apparently.  Again, kind of at the mercy of RNG, but it is what it is.  I'll probably just shoot people anyway just because it's easier and supposedly doesn't count against you.

And then obviously there's the big fight at the end of the game.  From what I've read, though, you can just hide during most of that fight and your allies will take care of everyone.  There's only one guy you actually have to shoot.  Last Light might be the only shooter I've ever played where they actually made friendly characters competent in a firefight.  It's not like Call of Duty where your allies are basically just there for set dressing and do no significant damage.  I remember early in Last Light there's a section where you fight one of the flying demons, and I just hid and let Pavel kill it for me.  :laugh:

Yeah, that what I remembered but I wasn't sure.

One thing that annoyed me in Last Light is the BS morality, to be frank.Killing is bad... except when it's Ok. Playing musical instruments is good. A 30 seconds long lap dance is bad, but stopping to see an entire cabaret gives you good guy points. Killing freaky monsters is fine, unless we tell you it's not that time.

It seems almost... I don't known, childish? Simplistic? Like the game hasn't earned the right to judge the player in such a binary way. Bioshock 1 did the same mistake.

1 hour ago, Jasta11 said:

Yeah, that what I remembered but I wasn't sure.

One thing that annoyed me in Last Light is the BS morality, to be frank.Killing is bad... except when it's Ok. Playing musical instruments is good. A 30 seconds long lap dance is bad, but stopping to see an entire cabaret gives you good guy points. Killing freaky monsters is fine, unless we tell you it's not that time.

It seems almost... I don't known, childish? Simplistic? Like the game hasn't earned the right to judge the player in such a binary way. Bioshock 1 did the same mistake.

I don't think morality is the issue so much as how arbitrary it seems most of the time.  You made some good examples in your post.  But others include two enemy characters who you spare for positive morality or kill for negative.  Given that these aren't exactly good people, and that the Metro would probably be better off with them dead.  Hell, one (well, both, really, but one was more responsible than the other) of them literally helped spread a weaponized virus with the intent of wiping out most of the people in the Metro, and the other left you to be tortured and spends half the game trying to kill you.  I don't really see how sparing either guy should be considered to give you positive morality.

Another example is the momma bear fight.  She tries to kill you and you put at least a dozen rounds into her, but then you get negative points if you leave her to die at the hands of the watchmen.  This is a giant fucking mutant bear we're talking about here.  The world would certainly be a better, safer place with that thing exterminated.  The same goes for any time the game wants to give you negative points for killing the watchmen.  These things are brutal killing machines that will never spare a moment's thought about killing a human for food.  Ending as many of those fuckers as possible should only be positive, even if they're not hostile at that particular moment.

Took out Pontiff Fuckface after a few more tries. He's a pain in the ass. Now I'm heading through the dungeons and I'm reminded of the prison level from Demon's Souls in a major way. So far it's way easier to deal with than the last couple zones...so that's a nice change. 

Sidenote: I'm a fool. I went to Rosaria's Bedchamber cause I heard that's where you can respec, and I wanted to put a couple points that I wasted in Vigor (or is it Vitality, whichever one increased your equip load) early on into STR so I can use this awesome Scythe I got off one of the veiled bride things outside the boss room. I had three Pale Tongues and figured I'd just give them to her for the covenant rep in case I decided to try and go for the achievement later on. Then I found out you need a Pale Tongue to use the respec. And those are the only three you can find normally apparently. Only other way to get them is to invade, and I am terrible at PVP. I used up the 6 cracked orbs I had, failed miserably every time (once I got close to winning and then a blue guy showed up and rocked my world). Gave up on respeccing for this NG :lol: 

1 hour ago, KiDisaster said:

Took out Pontiff Fuckface after a few more tries. He's a pain in the ass. Now I'm heading through the dungeons and I'm reminded of the prison level from Demon's Souls in a major way. So far it's way easier to deal with than the last couple zones...so that's a nice change. 

Sidenote: I'm a fool. I went to Rosaria's Bedchamber cause I heard that's where you can respec, and I wanted to put a couple points that I wasted in Vigor (or is it Vitality, whichever one increased your equip load) early on into STR so I can use this awesome Scythe I got off one of the veiled bride things outside the boss room. I had three Pale Tongues and figured I'd just give them to her for the covenant rep in case I decided to try and go for the achievement later on. Then I found out you need a Pale Tongue to use the respec. And those are the only three you can find normally apparently. Only other way to get them is to invade, and I am terrible at PVP. I used up the 6 cracked orbs I had, failed miserably every time (once I got close to winning and then a blue guy showed up and rocked my world). Gave up on respeccing for this NG :lol: 

Its a little late now, but a great way to get better at PvP is joining the Mound Makers and just dropping your sign everywhere in the Undead Settlement.  You invade other people's realms as if they summoned you (so all the NPC enemies will aggro on you) but your goal is to kill the host/phantoms.  Its a great way to take your time exploring all of that massive place since you can basically run around as a phantom, maybe kill a dude, and explore/heal/regain Ember all risk-free while you slowly move through the area.  I'm having a lot of fun with it and its, sadly, forcing me to try to find things to spend souls on since I don't want to level out of that range.  Everyone I fight is using the same fire longsword +silver kite shield, though, and my estoc just isn't good enough to punish people who try to Estus.  

Banner Saga 2 is excellent. Much improved combat from the first game. They also explain WTF is going on a lot better, although I did enjoy the obtuseness of the world and story in the first game, it was quite refreshing.

The thing I love most about the second game:

When all the selfish amoral arseholes go off and form their own caravan, and playing as them you suddenly become naturally inclined to playing them in a much more ruthless, selfish way than Rook's caravan. Clever characterisation there.

11 hours ago, MerenthaClone said:

Its a little late now, but a great way to get better at PvP is joining the Mound Makers and just dropping your sign everywhere in the Undead Settlement.  You invade other people's realms as if they summoned you (so all the NPC enemies will aggro on you) but your goal is to kill the host/phantoms.  Its a great way to take your time exploring all of that massive place since you can basically run around as a phantom, maybe kill a dude, and explore/heal/regain Ember all risk-free while you slowly move through the area.  I'm having a lot of fun with it and its, sadly, forcing me to try to find things to spend souls on since I don't want to level out of that range.  Everyone I fight is using the same fire longsword +silver kite shield, though, and my estoc just isn't good enough to punish people who try to Estus.  

Honestly I'm just not interested in PvP. It's not why I play Souls games, never been a part of the game that I care about. I never invade, I hate doing it and hate being invaded myself, I even felt bad doing it those few times trying to get the one item I need. 

Tons of progress today. Took out Yhorm, Aldritch, Oceiros & Champion Gundyr. Had a blast sunbroing Yhorm a bunch of times after I killed him. That's such a cool fight. Easy as hell once you figure out the "trick" but it still feels so epic for some reason. The huge difficulty spike I felt with Irithyll and Smouldering Lake really dropped off quick. Haven't had much trouble with any of the last few zones. Oceiros was a really hard fight but that was the worst of it. 

I WANT EMPIRE TOTAL WAR II!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stupid fucking fake goddamn world of warcraft total war.

Playing a ten year old game with no mods to speak of while they make something stupid. :angry:

16 hours ago, Werthead said:

Banner Saga 2 is excellent. Much improved combat from the first game. They also explain WTF is going on a lot better, although I did enjoy the obtuseness of the world and story in the first game, it was quite refreshing.

The thing I love most about the second game:

Reveal hidden contents

When all the selfish amoral arseholes go off and form their own caravan, and playing as them you suddenly become naturally inclined to playing them in a much more ruthless, selfish way than Rook's caravan. Clever characterisation there.

Question for you Wert,

Does Banner Saga 2 give you any options when starting a game in regards to the story from the first?  I'm asking as I'm thinking of getting it on my PS4 but I played through on my PC.  Is there something like the Dragon Keep for DA:I where I can tell the game what my decisions were?

EDIT: That is to say I'm thinking of getting it when it actually comes out on PS4 lol

11 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I WANT EMPIRE TOTAL WAR II!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stupid fucking fake goddamn world of warcraft total war.

Playing a ten year old game with no mods to speak of while they make something stupid. :angry:

This is a terrible wrong opinion. Shooting edgy Metal Vikings with cannons is what Total War was made for.

On 4/23/2016 at 10:24 AM, KiDisaster said:

Honestly I'm just not interested in PvP. It's not why I play Souls games, never been a part of the game that I care about. I never invade, I hate doing it and hate being invaded myself, I even felt bad doing it those few times trying to get the one item I need. 

I felt the same way until a few days ago, a friend asked me to help him with a boss and with the password system we were actually able to team up. Before we could even get to the boss he got invaded and we had a lot of fun chasing the guy down and slowly beating him. The guy seemed to be way better than us, so it was a close fight. I didn't realize why that "go invisible while rolling" ring was useful until I fought this guy. It's really disorienting when you're not used to it. 

But yeah generally when I play I like the sense of isolation. 

On 4/23/2016 at 10:24 AM, KiDisaster said:

In case you haven't looked it up, the Darkwraiths that are attacking the abyss watcher building drop the tongues you can use for respeccing. Not a bad drop rate either.

Archived