Video Games: 'Does Not Open From This Side' Edition

KiDisaster

9 minutes ago, Sullen said:

Are you going to try to get all of the covenant rewards?

Nope. Don't care enough about achievements to suffer through all the PvP grinding. I got max Sunbro rank but neither of the rewards were any use to me. When I finish this first playthrough I'll check the Wiki and see if any of the other covenants have a unique spell or item that I want to try and maybe go for those. 

I don't know why they took the guilt system and blue invasions out either. I always thought that was really cool even if I had no interest in taking part. 

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Nintendo have said that their new console will launch in March 2017 and will not be shown at E3.

Erm. Okay? This seems a very half-assed way of doing things from Nintendo, even based on their previous form.

Ooh! When is E3? I always love watching the movie trailers that come out... Shame none of them ever make it to the theaters around me.

16 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Ooh! When is E3? I always love watching the movie trailers that come out... Shame none of them ever make it to the theaters around me.

June 10-13 are the press conferences (which is all that matters for most of us). The actual expo is June 14-16. 

Euro Cup also starts that weekend. 

And I'll be out of town missing both :(

5 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

Even if Bloodborne didn't capture you, this is a different game.

Bloodborne was a very different feeling game  I liked it, but once I finished off the platinum I never touched it again.  Whereas with all of the DS games I kept playing long after.

4 hours ago, Sullen said:

Hope you dropped a Symbol of Avarice and have several hours at your disposition to farm rewards, because the Darkmoon/Sentinel covenants don't work properly due to no one using Way of the Blue, and the same applies to Farron's Watchdogs.

I don't even know how to join the Covenants.  I've found them, but...  the Covenant symbol items don't seem to do anything.  Apparently I joined Rosaria's Fingers by giving my character a makeover.  Didn't know that I had until someone in Firelink decided I was their enemy because of it.

22 minutes ago, Muttering Bill said:

Bloodborne was a very different feeling game  I liked it, but once I finished off the platinum I never touched it again.  Whereas with all of the DS games I kept playing long after.

I don't even know how to join the Covenants.  I've found them, but...  the Covenant symbol items don't seem to do anything.  Apparently I joined Rosaria's Fingers by giving my character a makeover.  Didn't know that I had until someone in Firelink decided I was their enemy because of it.

You just equip the covenant symbol item in a special slot on your inventory screen. To the right of your rings. Then you're effectively in the covenant for as long as you've got it on. You'll see their symbol next to your health, FP and stamina bars in the top left.

It's weird but it's convenient to be able to switch between them on the fly. 

26 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

You just equip the covenant symbol item in a special slot on your inventory screen. To the right of your rings. Then you're effectively in the covenant for as long as you've got it on. You'll see their symbol next to your health, FP and stamina bars in the top left.

It's weird but it's convenient to be able to switch between them on the fly. 

I'm at what I'm pretty sure is the final boss and never realized this. Thanks!

Finished Banner Saga 2. Fantastic game. Much better than the first and the story is genuinely excellent, being morally messy with some absolutely amazing characters. I really didn't see where the story was going in the second part and the cliffhanger ending is cruel. Hopefully they'll be a bit faster with Banner Saga 3, which will conclude the story.

My only real surprise was the length. I've played the first game through twice and it took about 10 hours each time, which was very reasonable for the price. Banner Saga 2 I finished off in about 6-and-a-half hours. That was really quite surprising. But the story and characters were so good I don't mind really.

10 hours ago, Sullen said:

Hope you dropped a Symbol of Avarice and have several hours at your disposition to farm rewards, because the Darkmoon/Sentinel covenants don't work properly due to no one using Way of the Blue, and the same applies to Farron's Watchdogs.

No the "same" doesn't apply to the Watchdogs.  I've gotten 40+ grass on two different chars and halfway there on a third.  Presumably you are on the PC version though as the online is a bit fucked up on PC.  As for the Darkmoon/Blue Sentinels..... aren't they essentially one covenant as in turns for one count for both?

Summoning for the 3 auto-summon covenants is weird.  People are reporting that they'll get summoned for some instantly but not others, even at the same level/gear/everything.  Also, more and more people seem to be switching to Way of Blue when they're not explicitly doing something else like invading/sunbroing.  After all, why not?  Its not like being in any other covenant does anything fore you.  

Started a replay of Dragon Age Origins a few days ago.  It was yet another game that I played a ton of when it first came out but never got around to finishing.  I have so many of those games in my Steam library.  

On the plus side, it's still a great game despite crashing somewhat regularly.  On the down side, it's bittersweet to play this game and remember that BioWare sucks now.

Preview of the new Doom. Seems a lot better than previous videos suggested. What is nice is that all of the typical modern FPS bullshit helper stuff can be turned off and the levels seem a bit more open than was being feared. Probably a Steam sale purchase two years after release, but I'll probably check it out.

9 hours ago, Werthead said:

Preview of the new Doom. Seems a lot better than previous videos suggested. What is nice is that all of the typical modern FPS bullshit helper stuff can be turned off and the levels seem a bit more open than was being feared. Probably a Steam sale purchase two years after release, but I'll probably check it out.

Maybe the single player turns out well, but the multi-player in the beta was godawful.  They took Doom and turned it into a Call of Halo clone.  Even the characters look identical to Halos Spartans (like, it's lawsuit-worthy).  It's way too slow-paced, there are loadouts instead of weapons laying around on the map, you can't rocket jump, melee is disgustingly overpowered, the weapons are poorly balanced in general (shotgun is way OP, everything else was too weak), and the level design was generally boring.  Oh, and there's no awesome music in the background. 

Whoever designed the multi-player clearly has never played Quake or Unreal.  That's what Doom's multi-player should have aspired to be like.  Not the boring console baby shit from Halo and Call of Duty.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Maybe the single player turns out well, but the multi-player in the beta was godawful.  They took Doom and turned it into a Call of Halo clone.  Even the characters look identical to Halos Spartans (like, it's lawsuit-worthy).  It's way too slow-paced, there are loadouts instead of weapons laying around on the map, you can't rocket jump, melee is disgustingly overpowered, the weapons are poorly balanced in general (shotgun is way OP, everything else was too weak), and the level design was generally boring.  Oh, and there's no awesome music in the background. 

Whoever designed the multi-player clearly has never played Quake or Unreal.  That's what Doom's multi-player should have aspired to be like.  Not the boring console baby shit from Halo and Call of Duty.

The multiplayer developer has mostly done Halo and CoD stuff over the years.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Not the boring console baby shit from Halo and Call of Duty.

Do you even computer, brah?

8 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

Mods are coming to console! This is pretty groundbreaking actually. Good to see Bethesda going back to being forward thinkers.

Yeah, I'm excited for it. 

Archived