What the show got better than the books

Tianzi

1 minute ago, HairGrowsBack said:

Agreed. Even if we're talking sheer action, her fight "one against seven" would have been so cinematic and amazing. Just reading it gives me chills, it was made for TV/cinema.

Or give us something similar that fits within the context of the new storyline they have for her.  So maybe we don't get her defending orphans in the Riverlands, but doing something that ostensibly relates to protecting Sansa. Hell, even if she's not successful, show another attempt to get a message to Sansa. Just something beyond "yup, let's kill the knight's guarding Sansa," , "Yup, let's follow Sansa to Winterfell," , and "Yup, let's look for the Candle in the window.  

3 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

Or give us something similar that fits within the context of the new storyline they have for her.  So maybe we don't get her defending orphans in the Riverlands, but doing something that ostensibly relates to protecting Sansa. Hell, even if she's not successful, show another attempt to get a message to Sansa. Just something beyond "yup, let's kill the knight's guarding Sansa," , "Yup, let's follow Sansa to Winterfell," , and "Yup, let's look for the Candle in the window.  

Right." No way this plan can go wrong, and even though I know she's married to a psychopath, I must respect her decision. It's not as if I'd sworn to protect her or something."

1 minute ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:
  Hide contents

Funny how now you guys are suggesting adding random actions scenes which serve no purpose except it adds a fight.

Did I say action scene?  Just something that shows she's trying to keep her oath rather than, you know, staring at a window.

Funny how you reply to something different than what someone says again.

Reveal hidden contents

Funny how now you guys are suggesting adding random actions scenes which serve no purpose except it adds a fight.

I wouldn't say her fight with the 7 guys  it's random. It was part of her adventures.

I for one liked her invented fight when they left the inn. And that was not from the books. It was different, but still action.

But it could also have been interesting to adapt her scenes in the bath, remembering Renly/Jaime, for instance. Some introspection.

5 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Show defenders keep saying Brienne's arc needed some spicing up which is a way of saying "lots of fight sequence" most of the time. Here is a way to have a fight sequence + moving forward of the plot+ character development. It's a christmas miracle, people !

4 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

Did I say action scene?  Just something that shows she's trying to keep her oath rather than, you know, staring at a window.

Funny how you reply to something different than what someone says again.

I said action.

3 minutes ago, HairGrowsBack said:

Show defenders keep saying Brienne's arc needed some spicing up which is a way of saying "lots of fight sequence" most of the time. Here is a way to have a fight sequence + moving forward of the plot+ character development. It's a christmas miracle, people !

Yes, and I was referring to these actually. There was a lot of action to be adapted. Some was invented and I don't complain about it, but there was material to adapt, and not only about action in itself: she was trapped and she and Podrick didn't know how to leave there. That could have been intriguing too.

3 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I was referring to this. 

And I said this with the usual Brienne complaint in mind. If you want some action (because some people got bored during her chapters), there it is. Also one of the reasons people like her fight with the Hound, which is an abomination in my eyes, but proves that people are really after action scenes with Brienne.

Plus what Meera of tarth said 

im not saying Brienne needed more action at all, please tell me who said that? Stop making stuff up.

The problem with book Brienne is that her travels are basically irrelevant to the main plot, they are a distraction, a mini side plot that serves little purpose other than to let you spend time with her. It's a nice to have but a complete luxury in a series with limited time. 

Which is why it makes more sense for her actual purpose during the season to be about other plotlines and connecting stories. Instead of having her isolate herself pointlessly

Just now, HairGrowsBack said:

And I said this with the usual Brienne complaint in mind. If you want some action (because some people got bored during her chapters), there it is. Also one of the reasons people like her fight with the Hound, which is an abomination in my eyes, but proves that people are really after action scenes with Brienne.

I loved the Brienne-Hound fight.  Yes, Brienne was "actioned up" for the show, but so what?  The Hound's story required him to be badly injured in a fight so Arya could leave him for dead.  Having Brienne mortally injure him instead of some random soldiers in an inn was an improvement, at least for purposes of the show. 

This thread has lost its porpuse. Somehow it turned from "What the show did better than the books" to what it did worse. I get that everybody has the right to state their opinion, but can't those opinions stay ON TOPIC. Now this thread has turned into every other thread in here that eventually goes into the same pointless rabbit hole argument. We get it, the books are flawless, the show is shit, GRRM is god, D&D are the devils. Does it have to be like that every time? Every thread? Even one that its main topic suppose to be more positive? That has become tedious and tiring.

im not saying Brienne needed more action at all, please tell me who said that? Stop making stuff up.

The problem with book Brienne is that her travels are basically irrelevant to the main plot, they are a distraction, a mini side plot that serves little purpose other than to let you spend time with her. It's a nice to have but a complete luxury in a series with limited time. 

Which is why it makes more sense for her actual purpose during the season to be about other plotlines and connecting stories. Instead of having her isolate herself pointlessly

But how do you know it won't become relevant later ? Don't you think Brienne will have a role to play, which will somewhat connect to the beloved main plot ?

3 minutes ago, HairGrowsBack said:

But how do you know it won't become relevant later ? Don't you think Brienne will have a role to play, which will somewhat connect to the beloved main plot ?

Briennes immediate role is to get captured and possibly have to kill Jamie, or at least it looks like that. Everything before that is simply filler. So why include it? If she's going to be hanging around, at least let her have some sort impact on the plot.

10 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

But it didn't really serve the plot.

I agree with you. It doesn't serve to the Game's plot. But it doesn't mean it can't be adapted or that Brienne herself is not important to have a small adventure with Podrick. If you have Brienne worried for Sansa an entire season and you know you have to arrive to 5.10 with her killing Stannis, you can do a lot of things.

I also understand that she didn't have as much screen time as she should have had but still, so maybe you have to cut her adventure. She could have had an adaptation of her small adventure: Maybe someone trapping her like in the books? Or maybe she, just the inn, but having a bath and remembering Renly/Jaime? That would be an adaptation of her chapters, but considering the show constraints.

Or, like it was pointed out before, showing her trying to rescue Sansa, maybe a failed attempt. That would fit the adaption part because in the books she is looking for Sansa and if in the show they decided that she met her and Sansa rejected her, it would be interesting to make her try to do something. That would also be interesting for any type of viewers, and definitely, better than her candle plot.

Any of these things would have been perfect. And there are several more options that could have  happened better than the candle decision. Because it would still follow her arch. And she would arrive to the same destination she is supposed to be at the end of the season with Stannis.

Archived