Possible New Theory About Jon's Parentage

LatrineDiggerBrian

I have a theory about Jon's parentage that I wanted to run by you guys. I posted it here because I'm only a show watcher who hasn't read the books though I have read some of the theories and know what happens in the books. I should state that this is spoilerish for show watchers who have stayed in the dark about some of the stuff that happened during Robert's rebellion. So if you really want to stay in the dark about that, read no further. Also, it's possible someone has already mentioned this somewhere else and if so I apologize.

Anyway, I call the theory A + L = J and it goes like this. At the famed tournament of Harrenhaal, Lyanna Stark is viciously raped by King Aeris. She is this young beautiful vibrant woman and after the rape becomes a shell of herself. Rhaegar Targaryen is aware of this. He knows of the rape or maybe even inadvertently witnesses it. He feels so remorseful for Lyanna, he can't but help himself but to place the crown of roses on her after defeating Ser Barristan in the joust. He also possibly wants to spite his father. They eventually fall in love.

This makes it a little bit neater in that Jon, Tyrion (if other theories prevail), and Dany could all be siblings who killed their mothers on the birthing bed. It also provides some reasoning as to why Rhaegar would openly dishonor his wife in full public view at the tournament. 

Again, I don't know all the details as some of you as I haven't read the books and have (somewhat) tried to stay in the dark regarding spoilers (and I haven't watched any of this seasons trailers). Is this theory feasible?

"This makes it a little bit neater in that Jon, Tyrion (if other theories prevail), and Dany could all be siblings who killed their mothers on the birthing bed."
That Aerys could potentially be the father of all of them,   you mean? Definitely an interesting result.

It's possible. After all, Aerys was being totally paranoid about the identity of Knight of the Laughing Tree, who is very likely Lyanna, and the prevailing theory is that Rhaegar found her out and developed a crush on her. Your  alternate scenario would be Rhaegar bringing her to   his father to appease his worries, he rapes her since he's a terrible person, Rhaegar feels guilty and tries to make amends. 

The evidence working against your theory would be that Aerys was sickly and weak at the tourney, and I dont think the timeline would match up to Lyanna being impregnated at Harrenhal and giving birth at the TOJ. She went back to Winterfell after the tourney and I dont think she was ever at King's Landing after Rhaegar "kidnapped" her and headed to Dorne, so it's unlikely she was within Aerys' vicinity thereafter.

27 minutes ago, The Oily Black Stone said:

"This makes it a little bit neater in that Jon, Tyrion (if other theories prevail), and Dany could all be siblings who killed their mothers on the birthing bed."
That Aerys could potentially be the father of all of them,   you mean? Definitely an interesting result.

It's possible. After all, Aerys was being totally paranoid about the identity of Knight of the Laughing Tree, who is very likely Lyanna, and the prevailing theory is that Rhaegar found her out and developed a crush on her. Your  alternate scenario would be Rhaegar bringing her to   his father to appease his worries, he rapes her since he's a terrible person, Rhaegar feels guilty and tries to make amends. 

The evidence working against your theory would be that Aerys was sickly and weak at the tourney, and I dont think the timeline would match up to Lyanna being impregnated at Harrenhal and giving birth at the TOJ. She went back to Winterfell after the tourney and I dont think she was ever at King's Landing after Rhaegar "kidnapped" her and headed to Dorne, so it's unlikely she was within Aerys' vicinity thereafter.

Also like Jamie and Ser barristan  of the kings guard who have shown up in the current time would know about it. 

34 minutes ago, shk12344 said:

R + L = J, anything else is just a wet dream. Just accept it. Don't waste time coming up with alternatives. Might as say James Bond + Wonder Woman = Jon Snow

Spot on. :lol:

On 4/18/2016 at 11:57 AM, LatrineDiggerBrian said:

Again, I don't know all the details as some of you as I haven't read the books and have (somewhat) tried to stay in the dark regarding spoilers (and I haven't watched any of this seasons trailers). Is this theory feasible?

Although the timeline is murky (that's putting it mildly, lol), there are timeline issues with this theory. As near as I can make out, the Tourney at Harrenhal happened approximately one year before the outbreak of Robert's Rebellion. The Rebellion lasted approximately one year and Jon Snow was born very close to the end of the Rebellion, right around the same time as the sack of Kings Landing.

So, if my interpretation of the timeline is sensible at all, then Lyanna was pregnant for around two years. I don't think that's feasible.

2 hours ago, shk12344 said:

R + L = J, anything else is just a wet dream. Just accept it. Don't waste time coming up with alternatives. Might as say James Bond + Wonder Woman = Jon Snow

This.  Everything else is just a god of the gaps argument at this point.  R+L=J is the only one with direct evidence supporting it.

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot about this. Yeah I don't know much about the time line that's why I was asking. I've read a little into some of the theories, but have been wanting to keep myself somewhat fresh for this season. Also, Dan and Dave guessed it on the first try in their first meeting with George, unlikely this is what they would've guessed.

Archived