Doran and Dorne in Season 6

Petyr Targaryen

So I was just thinking about Doran and Dorne's role this season. 

Doran allowed Jaime to take Myrcella home under the condition that Trystane be able to sit on the small council. Seemingly, Ellaria and the Sand Snakes killed Myrcella unbeknownst to Doran. But I have a problem with this.

I find it very hard to believe that Doran would just let Ellaria and the Sand Snakes go after trying to kill Myrcella. It seems more likely that he knew Ellaria and co. would attempt to kill her again. If he let this occur, then he could weaken the Lannister's position, especially Cersei. And he could also plead innocence in Myrcella's death. He openly sent his son and heir to KL, which seems unlikely for him to do, knowing Cersei. But if he knew that Myrcella would be killed, he also probably thought that Jaime would send Trystane home, assuming Doran and Trystane had no involvement. This also seems likely for Jaime to do, to spare an innocent boy from Cersei's wrath. Cersei will want revenge and Doran could openly execute Ellaria. She's not his blood and never married into the Martell family. This may not satiate Cersei completely, but may satisfy her enough for Dorne to remain neutral for the time being. Ellaria's execution would also satsify Trystane because he'd feel justice is done. This would then allow Doran to send Trystane to Meereen to court Dany.

This is total blind guessing and I'm using what I know about Doran from the books to inform this theory. But please let me know what you guys think. 

Yes, that is what I am insinuating. Otherwise, Doran and Trystane would have absoluely nothing to do. I refuse to believe that D&D bungled Dorne that badly. Yes, Dorne last season was cringeworthy, but I like to stay optimistic about the possibility that D&D chose to introduce Dorne that way last year to prepare viewers for a bigger role for Dorne this season.

And yes, Tyrion does seem to be releasing the dragons in the trailer, but I highly doubt he'll follow Quentyn's fate. 

Trystane may play a Quentyn-type role towards the end of season 6. Asha/Yara is apparently going East this season so it's entirely plausible that Trystane will as well.

I think Dorne was a reaction to the popularity of Oberyn and nothing more. I'm sure there's some small part to play in the end game but the fact that so little filming was done there should be a massive clue to it's ultimate importance in any show events.

I'd bet Trystane is a bit player in the crowded KL theater.

Interesting, but I don't know. It would be a huge risk for Doran to send his only son and heir to King's Landing immediately after Myrcella was assassinated in Dorne, regardless of whether Doran was perceived to be at fault or not. I don't know if he would so wholly trust Jaime to protect Trystane in that situation.

I was so convinced that Trystane was going to be taking Young Griff's role last season, though, and Doran's involvement in Myrcella's death would fit into that. He would need Myrcella out of the way for Trystane's true identity to be revealed. I think that's much more likely than Trystane going the Quentyn route, because there's no need for Quentyn at this point—all he really accomplished in the books was releasing the dragons, which Tyrion is perfectly in place to do.

I think that Ellaria's killing of Myrcella was pre-approved by Doran Martell. It was a mind game Doran played with Jaime to make an illusion that Doran and Trystane had no part in Myrcella's murder, and it was all Ellaria and Sand Snakes. Otherwise, the whole Doran speech of "war is ugly" is kind of pointless in season 5.

I think what will happen is that Doran will "execute" Ellaria and Sand Snakes, but in reality will give them missions and let them in on the plot he has been putting all these years. And the only end game Doran cooks HAS to do with Iron Throne: he wants to install Trystane as king of Westeros.

Also, keep in mind that the ship that takes Jaime back to King's Landing is DORNISH, so I do not expect Trystane forced to travel all the way to the capital knowing what kind of hell will await him there. That would be beyond stupid writing on D&D's part. I think Trystane will be back in Dorne this season, and Jaime and Bronn will continue their voyage to the capital.

Keep in mind that Aegon and Jon Connington's storyline will heavily feature unification of Stormlands, Reach and Dorne under one political power. What I can see them doing in the show instead is to delegate some story aspects of that plotline to the characters in the show: we will see a creation of Dorne-Reach-Stormlands political coalition, which will oppose both Cersei and Dany whenever she arrives in Westeros.

Therefore, add the rumors of Natalie Dormer and Diana Rigg filming in Spain, and I am pretty sure we shall witness a birth of Martell-Tyrell alliance and a possible betrothal of Margaery to Trystane after whatever happens to Tommen in the capital (and frankly, the succession will be SO messy if Tommen dies, there is no clear heir to him since all Cersei's children and House Baratheon are gone).

And I think, maybe not this season but next, we shall see Gendry's return. I believe he will appear again in Stormlands, more specifically in Kingswood which is relatively close to King's Landing and start his own version of Brotherhood without Banners. He really was impressed by this idea, but unfortunately the hierarchy of Thoros and Beric betrayed him to Melisandre. He will start anew.

I think his story will be merged partially with Edric Dayne's, and partially with Edric Storm's. Dayne left the original BwB and started his own branch according to the books, so I think naturally he will operate in forest. The only signifucant forest near Riverlands is Kingswood in Stormlands, and we have some historical Kingswood Brotherhood in this series.

Gendry will protect common folk and fight nobility and Iron Throne. We will find out that all these "boat rowing" seasons he was amassing his own small "Robin Hood" army and becoming a political power in Stormlands. 

We shall see I guess.

The books will have (likely) Aegon uniting a big part of Westeros before Daenerys arrival. It is difficult to be sure of anything with GRRM, but we could expect a marriage between him and Arianne, Doran's daughter. Without Aegon, the show would have to do something comparable. It could be joining Dorne and the Reach, by marrying Trystane and Maergery. At the expense of both Tommen and Myrcella. The question would be: Was it Doran's plan already in season 5? Or will it be something forced on by Elaria action? The early plan seems unlikely to me. I don't see why Doran would, privately, promise no 3rd chance to Elaria. Neither do I see the purpose of risking Trystane's life, to pretend he was not aware of Elaria's intent. Whatever Doran says or does, the Lannister and their remaining allies would never believe in his innocence.

ETA: And we don't hurt little girls in Dorne... I would prefer if it was not a lie.

I was wondering why Dorne didn't appear in the trailers. In the books I really like the dornish storyline. So I'm hoping in the series they fix the mess they did last season, and give the Martell a bigger role in the series.

But honestly, I wouldn't like it if Doran had a role in Myrcella's death, I would prefer the "we don't hurt little girls in Dorne" being true, not just a lie. 

Just now, jbob said:

It was a waste of time in the books as well. Interesting characters killed off to make way giant bag of nothing. Is GRRM a third rate storyteller then?

You can't compare D&D with GRRM. Whatever flaw ASOIAF has, overrall storyline is compelling. There are other storylines to compensate for weakness in certain areas, such as Dorne and Danny's.   On the other hand, D&D adaptation  has become progressively worse  each season. Storylines are pushed along without any development or logic.(Brienne running into Arya, Sansa (twice) and  Stannis?? Westoros must be mighty small place) Dorne storyline is probably the best example. D&D took a boring, often pointless plot and turned into cartoonish. time wasting, unwatchable TV. D&D took a lemon and turned it into shit. 

Archived