Doran and Dorne in Season 6

Petyr Targaryen

1 hour ago, shk12344 said:

You can't compare D&D with GRRM. Whatever flaw ASOIAF has, overrall storyline is compelling. There are other storylines to compensate for weakness in certain areas, such as Dorne and Danny's.   On the other hand, D&D adaptation  has become progressively worse  each season. Storylines are pushed along without any development or logic.(Brienne running into Arya, Sansa (twice) and  Stannis?? Westoros must be mighty small place) Dorne storyline is probably the best example. D&D took a boring, often pointless plot and turned into cartoonish. time wasting, unwatchable TV. D&D took a lemon and turned it into shit. 

"Whatever flaw ASOIAF has, overrall storyline is compelling. There are other storylines to compensate for weakness in certain areas, such as Dorne and Danny's."

That's how I feel about the show and season 5.

Brienne ran into Sansa and Arya because she and Pod made a smarter decisions in where to look for her than in the books. In the books she's just blindly running around asking every Tom Dick and Harry if they saw Sansa. I agree that the latest season wasn't the best, Dorne was crap, but I never understood why they put it in in the first place. But it's still great show that's better than most. I DO NOT AGREE that the show has turned terrible. It's like the books, are the recent books as good as the early ones? Not in my opinion. But I think still think they're high quality compared to what else is out there. It's not like season 2 of True Detective or something.

Do I want Dorne to be in the show more than they have too? No. Do I think it's bad? But there are stuff in the books I'd prefer to not read, characters I don't really care all that much about.

2 hours ago, jbob said:

It was a waste of time in the books as well. Interesting characters killed off to make way giant bag of nothing. Is GRRM a third rate storyteller then?

Er, but it wasn't. Arys' death opens up a KG spot for Robert Strong and it's joining with Aegon'a plotline in the books for a Second Dance of Dragons between Dany and Aegon plus Dorne.

In the show, it wasn't a waste of time. Just an extremely contrived piece of shit

Doran's balls are so small.

He will do nothing more than banishment since he has no proof that Ellaria did it. Being an "honorable" man, he will not do anything without proof.. I'm almost sure.

Why is everyone saying Dorne was pointless?

How else would they kill Myrcella?

Will Dorne remain silent on Oberyn's death. All these had to be known.

Only the sand snakes were absolutely irrelevant.

3 hours ago, robasp2 said:

Why is everyone saying Dorne was pointless?

How else would they kill Myrcella?

Will Dorne remain silent on Oberyn's death. All these had to be known.

Going to Dorne wasn't pointless, but getting rid of Arianne and boiling down and splitting her role amongst four other boring, one-dimensional characters was. There's a perfectly fine explanation as to how Myrcella was injured and how Dorne reacted to Oberyn's death in the books, and there was little reason for the show to change it into the disaster that it was.

Dorne story so far, in the books, is not the most thrilling chapters GRRM has written. But Dorne is preparing for what is to come with Aegon. Or so I believe. Dorne is one part of the story. You cannot remove it and still have the same story. I suppose D&D are attempting to do the same trick as GRRM, but with less characters and a different plot. At least GRRM's Dorne makes sense. Not so much so far with D&D's.

And I like Doran. He is ruling FOR his people, for their good. Not using and wasting their lives in a personal vengeance. It is not weakness, it is wisdom.

15 minutes ago, White Harbors Wrath said:

Literally a joke about bad pooooosay, and that only squeaked into existence because people liked shOberyn. 

Well, Bronn got to sing "The Dornishman's Wife."

LOL, more like the Sand Snakes are al-Queda and Doran is Leon Klinghoffer (remember him? This is more of a US thing, but still) or maybe in D/D's mind Doran would be FDR, you know, the guy in the wheelchair who  wanted to keep America out of a war? A  little far-fetched I know, but hey, it wouldn't be the first time that D/D used GoT to comment on their own personal opinions on politics, social, issues religion etc (ie the Kings Landing storyline.) And dang, are they needlessly heavy-handed with that commentary! They know no subtlety!

Seriously though, if the leaks prove to be true ... then...OMG....

I have another theory it has to wait until the episode airs and it's more of a Ranter's opinion, but I have a hunch there'll be some ranting here tomorrow night!

I hope I followed the rule with this post, I didn't say what the leaks were!

10 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

LOL at this thread in the light of the episode 1 leak. Like, holy shit. 

I know, fancy trying to have a rational conversation about what a character might possibly do if behaving in any way logical. That's not the GoT way! Amateurs!

13 hours ago, BalerionTheCat said:

Dorne story so far, in the books, is not the most thrilling chapters GRRM has written. But Dorne is preparing for what is to come with Aegon. Or so I believe. Dorne is one part of the story. You cannot remove it and still have the same story. I suppose D&D are attempting to do the same trick as GRRM, but with less characters and a different plot. At least GRRM's Dorne makes sense. Not so much so far with D&D's.

And I like Doran. He is ruling FOR his people, for their good. Not using and wasting their lives in a personal vengeance. It is not weakness, it is wisdom.

I agree, in the show Doran seems to be saying that sending your kingdom into a war in order to avenge Oberyn is selfish and not what a good lord uses his smallfolk for. Personally I think avenging Oberyn is not even a thing because he died in a trial by combat, nobody cheated him, he screwed himself over with hubris! I definitely understand wanting to avenge Elia though, her death was horribly cruel but anyway, in the show Doran is behaving like a GRRM character and it appears he is about to receive a D$D treatment! RIP Game of Thrones!

Archived