The Night Of (HBO)

AncalagonTheBlack

Premiere: 10 PM, July 10

An HBO limited series created by Steven Zaillian and Richard Price, starring John Turturro and Riz Ahmed in the eight-parter, based on Peter Moffat’s Criminal Justice drama series that aired on the BBC in 2008-2009.

Created by Steven Zaillian and Richard Price, The Night Of is an eight-episode drama about a complex NYC murder case with cultural and political overtones. It follows the police investigation, the legal proceedings, the criminal justice system and the feral purgatory of Rikers Island, where the accused await trial for felony crimes. John Turturro and Riz Ahmed star.

Turturro took over the role of Jack Stone, a downtrodden jailhouse attorney who frequents police stations for clients, initially to be played by Gandolfini, in 2014. Robert De Niro committed to succeeding the Sopranos star in the role shortly after Gandolfini’s death, but had to pull out because of scheduling reasons in fall 2013. Gandolfini has a posthumous executive producer credit on the series.

Filmed in and around Manhattan, the series delves into the intricacies of a complex New York City murder case with cultural and political overtones. The story examines the police investigation, the legal proceedings, the criminal justice system and “the feral purgatory of Rikers Island,” per HBO, where the accused await trial for felony crimes. Zaillian directs parts 1-3 and 5-8 from teleplays co-written with Price. They executive produce with Jane Tranter and Moffat. James Marsh directs part 4.

Cast

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really good pilot but damn that was hard to watch. Probably took me two hours to get through it. Gandolfini would have nailed the role of the lawyer :( but Turturro is such a good replacement. Can't wait to see more of him. 

Nas was such an idiot with pretty much every action after waking up but I still felt really sorry for him. For being the "battle of Gettysburg" there really wasn't much blood on him so hopefully that works in his favor along with the witness lying about being alone. 

Also saw someone on another site point out that Nas was left handed in the opening scene when he was taking notes. Would be willing to bet the killer was a righty. 

The girls comments ("I can't be alone tonight") definitely made it seem like she knew someone was coming for her. Can't wait to see it all play out.

17 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Really good pilot but damn that was hard to watch. Probably took me two hours to get through it. Gandolfini would have nailed the role of the lawyer :( but Turturro is such a good replacement. Can't wait to see more of him. 

Reveal hidden contents

Nas was such an idiot with pretty much every action after waking up but I still felt really sorry for him. For being the "battle of Gettysburg" there really wasn't much blood on him so hopefully that works in his favor along with the witness lying about being alone. 

Also saw someone on another site point out that Nas was left handed in the opening scene when he was taking notes. Would be willing to bet the killer was a righty. 

The girls comments ("I can't be alone tonight") definitely made it seem like she knew someone was coming for her. Can't wait to see it all play out.

It really was. Nas was making entirely understandable and realistic mistakes that most people in that situation would. I love how the writers kept introducing information forcing viewers to repeatedly second guess their previous notions. That pilot was very well done.

19 hours ago, briantw said:

I keep waiting for him to show up on Game of Thrones.  Needs to happen.

He does seem to be a sort of studio actor fro HBO. Him and a number of The Wire alum.

• 2 weeks later...

First episode was very good and had me hooked within minutes.Too bad this is a weekly broadcast,would have made for some great binge watching.

It seems HBO sent out all the episodes except the finale to the critics and it's a big hit with them.

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-night-of/critic-reviews?dist=positive

Archived