The Night Of (HBO)

AncalagonTheBlack

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

Hide contents

Why would the money go to the lawyer in the absence of any next of kin? And why would the murderer intentionally stab her once for each year of her life? 

Spoiler

I explained the stabbing, the lawyer told Duane to specifically stab her that amount of times in order link it to someone who would know her age, and has a motive, THE STEPFATHER. that was the point of the stabbing her exactly the same amount of times as her age

And he was Evelyn Cornish's financial adviser and executor of her will. He had his hands in all of her finances and probably set everything up in a trust fund for Andrea, of which he has total control. Remember the fight at the cemetery, Step told lawyer to just sign the check. The stepfather told Box there was no next of kin,so  there was no immediate family. It would be easier than you think to funnel that money wherever he wanted.

This is pretty good. Just saw the latest episode for first time through a whole episode and will have to definately go back and see the previous episodes to get up to speed. Turturro is bringing his full range to slay this part, thumbs up.

I'll even go one better as far as the probate lawyer is concerned

Spoiler

He may have already embezzled the money or borrowed against the house, and now that Evelin Cornish died, he has to account for the money to the heirs, Andrea and the Stepfather. His only way out was for them to be out of the way. Andrea murdered and the stepdad the suspect of her murder is a perfect scenario for him. It will take the heat off, and the estate can be quietly absolved  to pay all the debts the lawyer incurred.

I remember enjoying Criminal Justice and even rewatched both series a last year so I decided to give this a watch caught up to episode 3, enjoying so far.

Wondering though (and spoilers for Criminal Justice and so possibly spoilers for later on for this)

Spoiler

If they follow CJ then it will be the Hearse Driver I assume as he seems to be the equivelent of the Taxi driver but I can't recall them setting up the second murder earlier on in the same night, did I miss that or are they going to different route?

7 minutes ago, Talleyrand said:

I remember enjoying Criminal Justice and even rewatched both series a last year so I decided to give this a watch caught up to episode 3, enjoying so far.

Wondering though (and spoilers for Criminal Justice and so possibly spoilers for later on for this)

Reveal hidden contents

If they follow CJ then it will be the Hearse Driver I assume as he seems to be the equivelent of the Taxi driver but I can't recall them setting up the second murder earlier on in the same night, did I miss that or are they going to different route?

But Naz was the taxi driver...

:P

There hasn't been a second murder revealed as of episode 6. It will be interesting if it was the hearse driver. I thought he was a red herring for sure.

29 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Enjoyed tonight's episode a lot. That scene at the end with Freddy was so well done.

Yeah, good stuff.

I really liked the Dr. Katz scene too. He probably single handedly saved Naz. He created more than enough of a reasonable doubt. 

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Enjoyed tonight's episode a lot. That scene at the end with Freddy was so well done.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Yeah, good stuff.

I really liked the Dr. Katz scene too. He probably single handedly saved Naz. He created more than enough of a reasonable doubt. 

As much as I enjoyed those scenes, Box being called to testify about the inhaler, not questioning the additional witnesses and realizing he may have retired after fucking up the State's case was my favorite part of tonight's episode. You could just see that eating away at him at the end of the episode while he was looking at his retirement golf clubs.

Naz may be innocent of the murder, but he's no angel.

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Finally finished the first 7 episodes and can confidently state I am totally unsure how the final episode will play out.

p.s. Just realizing that actor playing Det. Box was familiar from "Black Mass".

Really? I remember literally nobody from that movie other than Depp and Jesse Plemons.

Loved last night episode. There is one thing that was bothering me though. The lawyers and witness are touching unsealed evidence ? With no gloves ? OKAY -_-

I re-watched a scene of the first episode and now I'm sure, IF Naz was the killer, he couldn't have taken a shower to clean himself. In the scene when he gets undress in front of Box and other officers, when we see the cuts on his back, he eventually bends over to take off his pants and we see he has a lot a dry blood on his lower back. Maybe a result of his scratch, maybe a result of Andrea's bleeding hand. 

So it looks like the last episode is gonna be over 90 minutes long, which is a good thing. Like DireWolf, I have no idea how this will wrap up. It will be interesting to see if we find out who actually did it, or they just go the open-ended route. I am having my doubts that Naz will ever get out though.

I've watched the first 4 episodes and plan on getting caught up tonight. Its a great show with a lot of great actors, though I don't know names and could care less, they play the parts extremely well.

Haven't read the thread, but I think the girls step-father is in on it somehow. Maybe even killed her himself.

4 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

The first scene in ep7 leads one to believe that

Hide contents

Duane Reade is the killer. They found another girl murdered the exact same way.

Or the mortician. 

Well, I am still going with the step dad, might as well stay consistent. They have shown us his motive and that he has been violent with a woman in his life before.

I wonder if Naz will be found innocent of the murder but then show us his life after getting released and it being entirely different. He is now regularly smoking heroin(?), he participated in someones murder, as a decoy, but he still did it, and he is smuggling drugs. His family's lives are changed forever so he will have to deal with that as well.

I still have something telling me he will be found innocent, but his last flash back to that night will be of him killing her. This week they had a scene where it appeared he was next to her bloody bed and was turning the lamp on and off.

If I was his lawyers I would be pissed. Finding out in court that he had a second assault on a kid in school, and that he wasn't just using Adderall but was dealing it too(assuming that is how they found out). 

I like how they showed us the pictures being taken of him in Ep 1 or 2, but just now in this episode show us what the pictures captured. Also, did they show that damn deer head this episode? If so I missed it.

Step-dad is too obvious at this point. We're clearly meant to think it's him, so it won't be. Although I'm gonna feel like an ass if it is him cause I totally called it from the moment he was introduced and am now abandoning that theory :P 

Also, did I miss something in the last couple episodes or did they never show what happened with Stone chasing Duane Read into that building? That was weird. 

Archived