The Night Of (HBO)

AncalagonTheBlack

5 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Retaliation against Muslims and suspected Muslims (usually Sikhs) are hardly an uncommon occurrence after high-profile attacks perpetrated by Muslim extremists. I don't see how the attacks we've seen in the show are somehow beyond the pale.

They're not, it's Commodore :P 

2 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Step-dad is too obvious at this point. We're clearly meant to think it's him, so it won't be. Although I'm gonna feel like an ass if it is him cause I totally called it from the moment he was introduced and am now abandoning that theory :P 

Got caught up last night and would say this is my position, also. The step-father is just too easy and they dedicated an episode to it. I think we've seen the killer, I just dont feel comfortable in making a guess at the moment. 

ETA: Oh, and there is no way Nas beats these charges. I think it's meant to show the injustice of our legal system here in the U.S.. You know, guilty until proven innocent instead of the other way around, as it's supposed to be.

10 hours ago, Relic said:

Or the mortician. 

Yeah that seems more likely than Duane Reade to me. Duane Reade should be laying low thinking the cops are after him after his encounter with Stone. While the Mortician might have been set off by his encounter with Chandra even. It's not clear to me how much time has passed between episodes. 

Anyway it strongly suggests it's not the step-father because why would he then kill another random young woman?

2 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Got caught up last night and would say this is my position, also. The step-father is just too easy and they dedicated an episode to it. I think we've seen the killer, I just dont feel comfortable in making a guess at the moment. 

ETA: Oh, and there is no way Nas beats these charges. I think it's meant to show the injustice of our legal system here in the U.S.. You know, guilty until proven innocent instead of the other way around, as it's supposed to be.

Well, that and how prisons create criminals as well.  I think at least part of what we are being shown in this series is that even if someone may not be a hardened criminal going into prison they probably won't come out that way.

5 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Yeah that seems more likely than Duane Reade to me. Duane Reade should be laying low thinking the cops are after him after his encounter with Stone. While the Mortician might have been set off by his encounter with Chandra even. It's not clear to me how much time has passed between episodes. 

Anyway it strongly suggests it's not the step-father because why would he then kill another random young woman?

I don't remember if enough info was given on the second murdered young woman...could it have been a copy-cat killing?

15 hours ago, Commodore said:

the notion of a wave of vandalism and random Muslim beatings in response to a murder is a vile slander against Americans and New Yorkers

not to mention heavy-handed and unnecessary

I get the notion your intent on stewing in shit that only exists in your imagination.

1 hour ago, Prince of the North said:

I don't remember if enough info was given on the second murdered young woman...could it have been a copy-cat killing?

I don't think they mean that, I just think Box was commenting on how here is another young woman brutally murdered and there is no press or any attention to it whatsoever. Talking about how who is killed and where they are killed seems to matter more to the news than the fact that someone was killed.

Do we want to do predictions here as to who did it? And if you are someone who has seen the original series that this is based on maybe keep your thoughts in spoiler tags?

I only say this to keep people straight. Another show I watch has people who know everything. Oh yeah, I fully expected this, or yeah, I picked up on that right away, I can't believe no one else did...

I'll go against my gut and say Naz. My first reaction since day one was the step dad, but now he seems too perfect for it. So I say Naz did it, and will be found innocent. I think the chain of custody is going to blow the case. I think that Naz will be sitting there waiting to hear the verdict and will have one last flashback and it will be of him stabbing her to death. If that's the case then I also wish for Freddie to have someone to narc him out for being the look out for the murder that just happened, so Naz gets stuck in there for that murder and can't go free.

HBO's schedule has the next program starting 1 h 45 minutes after The Night Of starts.

I think Naz is innocent and will be found not guilty, but his life won't be better, mostly because of the judge's decision to deny him bail.

It was a very good episode, but I expected an even better performance by Dr Katz. Well, I expect it's Chandra's job tie it all together. Won't Naz be called to tell his story, and won't the defence call Wire-Bodie and the mortician as witnesses (to spread more doubt)?

Does Freddy have much muscle beyond Victor?

He's got Naz but he doesn't seem any tougher than half the inmates and I think there were a couple of nameless guys in some of the drug scenes but I can't remember.

By the sounds of things he still has some not unsubstantial power on the outside but is that enough to keep his control on the inside?

19 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

They're not, it's Commodore :P 

Yup - all you have to do is open up any news outlet to see that it's a pretty accurate reflection of reality at the moment. 

I thought yesterday's episode was a bit better than the previous 2 episodes. To be honest though, I'm slightly disappointed in the series. After watching the pilot, I thought we would see something a bit more original, but it's been reduced into overdone, non sensical melodrama. 

I like seeing a brown family at the centre of a big TV show, I just wish they were in a more original show. 

11 hours ago, Raja said:

Yup - all you have to do is open up any news outlet to see that it's a pretty accurate reflection of reality at the moment. 

I thought yesterday's episode was a bit better than the previous 2 episodes. To be honest though, I'm slightly disappointed in the series. After watching the pilot, I thought we would see something a bit more original, but it's been reduced into overdone, non sensical melodrama. 

I like seeing a brown family at the centre of a big TV show, I just wish they were in a more original show. 

IMO the story itself isn't really the highlight.  The direction and imagery is where this show shines.  Closeups of table scratches.  The way they go in and out of focus to depict the inside vs the outside.  The way they use different characters to portray similar feelings.

On the surface it's a melodrama, but there's a lot more to it than that.

On a side note, does anyone know how the detective spells his name?  I was really hoping it was something like 'Bachs', just because I think spelling it Box would be a little too heavy handed given the character.

2 minutes ago, aceluby said:

The way they use different characters to portray similar feelings.

On the surface it's a melodrama, but there's a lot more to it than that.

Sure, the direction and the cinematography are gorgeous, but I need a little more than that. I totally agree with you that the show is gorgeous, but some of the choices characters make, and some of the stuff on the screen just doesn't hold my interest - and it's not like I don't have the patience for it ( this is the guy who watched the extended cut of Zodiac)

Has anyone seen the BBC "Criminal Justice" this is supposed to be adapting? I'm curious as to how similar it is as I've seen Criminal Justice. I wouldn't want to watch this one and spend most of the time thinking I'd seen it somewhere before.

8 hours ago, aceluby said:

On a side note, does anyone know how the detective spells his name?  I was really hoping it was something like 'Bachs', just because I think spelling it Box would be a little too heavy handed given the character.

It's Box, it was in one of the shows descriptions. 

Riz Ahmed was brilliant tonight. Especially in all the scenes after he gets released. Mildly satisfied with the finale. Thought the last two scenes of the episode (Nas getting high and the cats appearance) were well done. 

Think the way they handled Chandra (starting with the kiss last week and especially tonight) was a mis-step though.

^Completely agree wrt Chandra. I could have done without the kiss and the drug smuggling. 

Good call on those that called the finance guy. I was way off on my prediction. Solid series overall with great performances from Turturro and Ahmed. Loved the last scene with the cat. I thought John was goingto say I'm going out, but having the cat be free was even better. 

Archived