The Night Of (HBO)

AncalagonTheBlack

6 hours ago, fixitwilya said:

If Naz would be charged with Grand Theft Auto, And is found not guilty in his murder trial. Would he still have to do the time for the theft? he really  did take the car without permission

If he was convicted on the grand theft charge and acquitted on the murder then yes, he would still have to do the time for the theft. 

7 hours ago, fixitwilya said:

If Naz would be charged with Grand Theft Auto, And is found not guilty in his murder trial. Would he still have to do the time for the theft? he really  did take the car without permission

If this charge happened, the family would try to push the GTA charge and trial out to happen after the murder one so they could just drop it and he would walk free.

17 hours ago, Astromech said:

I thought Naz told Stone he took the cab without permission, which would be information Stone could only use if Naz gave Stone informed consent to do so.

I do not recall any conversation regarding the cab between the 2 of them, but could have missed, and they could have also spoke about it off screen

1 minute ago, fixitwilya said:

I do not recall any conversation regarding the cab between the 2 of them, but could have missed, and they could have also spoke about it off screen

Yeah, I'll have to watch that episode again. I may be wrong about that particular bit of info being shared, but thought Naz told him he took the cab without permission.

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

Yeah, I'll have to watch that episode again. I may be wrong about that particular bit of info being shared, but thought Naz told him he took the cab without permission.

He did, basically mumbled that he didn't have permission. But that was while Stone was his lawyer, so privilege applies.

12 minutes ago, dbunting said:

He did, basically mumbled that he didn't have permission. But that was while Stone was his lawyer, so privilege applies.

Thanks. In that case, Stone would need Naz's informed consent. I'm very interested to see how Stone would react to a potential call from the other cab owners.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

I watched all episodes again and could not find any scene where the cab was mentioned. Even the scene where he mumbled about permission. Can you give me a heads up where that scene is?

It's most likely gonna be useless anyway, I'm pretty sure John would not accept the case on behalf of the 2 co owners.

Does anyone feel the knife, clothes and shoes might be thrown out because of the questionable chain of custody with the evidence?

The CSU techs ask Klein for them, he said he sent 2 uniforms over with the items, which then was turned over to a dispatcher.

3 hours ago, fixitwilya said:

Does anyone feel the knife, clothes and shoes might be thrown out because of the questionable chain of custody with the evidence?

The CSU techs ask Klein for them, he said he sent 2 uniforms over with the items, which then was turned over to a dispatcher.

Yeah, I'm questioning a lot of the police techniques, especially Box's constant questioning of Naz even after he knew Naz was represented by Stone. The chain of custody is definitely questionable. The show seems to at least emphasize the issues with the case for the viewer.

I'm wondering if Naz will be convicted on the show in spite of all these flaws, signaling to the viewer how unjust the system can be. I'm hoping not. That would be a disappointing.

a wrongful conviction won't say anything about the fairness of the justice system, given the implausibly overwhelming circumstantial evidence

you couldn't possibly write a scenario where an innocent man looked more guilty (except perhaps giving Naz a prior criminal history)

23 minutes ago, Commodore said:

a wrongful conviction won't say anything about the fairness of the justice system, given the implausibly overwhelming circumstantial evidence

you couldn't possibly write a scenario where an innocent man looked more guilty (except perhaps giving Naz a prior criminal history)

Hence my use of the term "signaling", i.e. trying to send a message to the audience about injustice. I hope that isn't the route this series goes.

Interesting push-pull dynamic this episode with Freddy and the other inmate. I'm curious as to Freddy's angle. Wondering if the attacks were merely to persuade Naz to accept Freddy's protection.

Crowe is a real snake. I loved her reaction when Naz told her to quit. Interesting to see Chandra and Stone seem to be working together next week, unless he is just feeding her info or advice as a type of mentor on the case.

And holy cameos: Sopranos flashback with Janice and Benny Fazio, Q from The Magicians

Really good episode. 

Could tell that dude who burned Nas was a whack job, wonder if Nas will just want protection or actually want Freddie to hurt that guy. All set up for Stone to be back on the case which is nice, hopefully more of him investigating and less of his feet. Glad the cat is still alive. Michael K Williams is as good as he always is, love the man

1 hour ago, fixitwilya said:

What is up with the deer head?

I wondered the same thing, seems extremely out of place in a NYC 20 something womans apartment. My first thought was a camera in one of the eyes, but they would have found it.

Naz was intimidated   to drink, take pills and snort powder. He was actually date raped.

He learns fast though. Looked Alison Crowe in the eye and told her to quit. No snitching.but knows people will do many things to get to him.

I'm also curious as to Freddie's real motive, It's not all for intellectual conversation.

Archived