My Irish adventure!

Seaworth'sShipmate

1 hour ago, Seaworth'sShipmate said:

I will be going to Ireland this summer to see a friend who lives in Dublin. I know there many majestic and fantastical sights in Ireland apart from Dublin. Do any of you have any idea of what those might be, or have any prior experience to go off of?

If you wanted to travel north of the border then there's some fantastic scenery along the Northern Ireland coast (much of which has featured in a certain popular fantasy TV show), the Giant's Causeway in particular is definitely worth a visit although it would be a long journey from Dublin. Belfast is an interesting city to visit as well. I also liked Galway out on the west coast of Ireland, although again it's probably quite a long journey from Dublin.

I don't know much about the immediate vicinity of Dublin, only time I've been there I spent most of the time at a hotel hosting a convention GRRM was attending. I do feel I should back and visit the city properly sometime.

It depends really on how much time you have in Ireland.

Dublin has loads to see and experience itself, I'd suggest getting on a hop-on-hop-off bus tour in town. And get some fish'n'chips from a proper old chipper with a Club Orange to wash it down like. Dublin has many musuems and galleries and the like, mostly for free. It's a good walking around city centre. 

There's an ancient mound not too far out of Dublin called Newgrange. It's older than the pyramids.

Outside of Dublin, my favourite place is Galway, which is within reach of The Cliffs of Moher. Also, I'd second The Giant's Causeway and add in The Ring of Kerry. 

I'd say have a bit of a research yourself, starting with what's in Dublin, and ask your friend you're visiting about it. 

You can see the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) from Donegal.

In Dublin: see a GAA inter-county championship game at Croke Park.  For history, Dublina (Viking settlement) and Kilmainham Jail (history of 1916 Rising) are worth a visit.  Get some fish & chips at Leo Burdock's, have a pint in Temple Bar -- very touristy but still fun.

Near Dublin:  Newgrange (megalithic tomb from 4000BC), Trim Castle (restored Norman castle) and the Battle of the Boyne are all quite close to each other and about an hour from Dublin.  Also Wicklow has some nice mountain hiking and a medieval monastery at Glendalough -- also within an hour of the city but opposite direction to the other three.  

Far from Dublin:  Personally, I like west Cork and the Ring of Kerry, but Galway and the Cliffs of Moher would be nice too.  Donegal is also very rugged and offers surfing.  I like the comedy festival in Kilkenny at the start of June.  There will also be music festivals during the summer, varying from the jazz festival in Cork to a Woodstock/Glastonbury-like rock & techno festival somewhere.

Have fun. 

Thanks so much guys!  There really is so much to see and do!

County Donegal seems very interesting, but I think I would need a car to effectivly see and get around it (I will be carless!)

I definitly will see the Giant's Causeway, but is Belfast worth an extended visit? I hear it is mostly an old, industrial city,similar to Liverpool England, or Detroit/Cleaveland.

Ill definitly do Galway/Western Ireland, Dingle and Cork.

Archived