A Horn? No. A Wolf! Jon, Ghost, and the Horn that Wakes the Sleepers

Sly Wren

16 hours ago, Raisin' Bran said:

I always wondered if the "his" was referring to someone else, rather than the Sworn Brother. Like he is quoting someone else, and that person is still relevant to the story, kind of a religious undertone.

Okay--I had never thought of it in this angle, but you're right: "his." 

Speaking the words of the one who same before them all. Embracing the "faith." 

All of these different religions in Westeros--but a faith with the land, from the First Man who embraced it, by saying his words. . . I like that!

12 hours ago, hiemal said:

One of the most immediate differences I'm noticing between the Song and the NW vows is that the vows are structurally divided into a section of intent, "I shall..." and a section of identity, "I am..."- upon which section hinges the answer to the Black Gate's question,- followed by the final pledge, the ultimate "I shall", and the Song of Amergin is all identity, all "I am..."s.

Does this taste... significant to else?

Extremely significant. 

The "I ams" are an invocation. The "I shalls" are the oath. And, as many others have postulated before me, really, really seems like the "I shalls" were added later.

The identity and unity with the land are the real power and salvation.

Which makes me wonder if all the speculation about Jon's being an oathbreaker will ultimately be moot: if they figure out what the Watch originally did, I'm thinking big chunks of the "I shalls" won't be needed. At all.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 7:36 PM, Sly Wren said:

Wolfmaid7 shows the importance of song in the novels. In this case, I’d argue that the wolves sing to wake and unite the other wolves.

5. Like war horns, wolves howl to each other to unite. And they call to the fallen. To wake them. Human and animal direwolves.  Living and dead.

6. Specifically, Jon and the rest of his pack call the fallen Bran to wake.

Yes!  Bran seemed to get stronger during his coma when her heard the wolves "sing".  Even Robb knows it and tries to tell Cat just that. 

@wolfmaid7 - I read your post on songs (LOVED IT!) but couldn't reply since it's had been archived.  What do you think is the significance, if any, of Hodor regularly "humming tunelessly"? 

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 7:36 PM, Sly Wren said:

7. Bran knows Summer and Shaggy sing to the stars for a reason. They call for their pack mates—living and dead—they call for Lady’s Shade. Bran knows they are speaking a language.

Isn't it amazing how quick Bran is to catch on to this?  He's sitting there howling away and Luwin comes in and seems exhausted at trying to get him to quit.  I think he says something along the lines of the wolves making enough noise without him. 

Arya does the same when she's on the run from the Harrenhal.  She thinks they're being followed, realized they're wolves and howls.  "The big one" howls backs.  Shortly thereafter Arya has a wolf dream and Nymeria and her pack take down a group of the Bloody Mummers tracking Arya et al.  I assume it's Nymeria since she rips a man's arm from the shoulder, that seems to be the Direwolves go-to move, as Ned once warned.

When he closed his eyes he dreamed of direwolves.

There were five of them when there should have been six, and they were scattered, each apart from the others.  He felt a deep ache of emptiness, a sense of incompleteness.  The forest was vast and cold and they were so small, so lost.  His brothers were out there somewhere, and his sister, but he had lost their scent.  He sat on his haunches and lifted his head to the darkening sky, and his cry echoed through the forest, a long lonely mournful sound.  As it died away, he pricked up his ears, listening for an answer, but the only sound was the sigh of blowing snow.

ACoK, Chapter 53, Jon

This stuck out to me too.  It took me a while to realize that this was Jon in Summer, not Ghost.  Since he howls in this wolf and that's not Ghost's thing...yet.  Even his thoughts are different than they are when Bran is in Summer.  Bran-in-Summer says things like man-rock, steel-claws and grey cliffs.  Jon-in-Summer gave a much more eloquent and mature description. 

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 7:52 PM, Sly Wren said:

"A woman, of those who sing the song of earth," his teacher said. "Long dead, yet a part of her remains, just as a part of you would remain in Summer if your boy's flesh were to die upon the morrow. A shadow on the soul. She will not harm you." Dance, Bran III

Again with the shadows. 

Shadows on the souls, bones remembering...can a shadow be on the bones?

PART VII: Ghost may not sing to the stars. But, like Summer, Shaggy, and Grey Wind, he’s drawn to the stars. And he brings Jon key information.

Great catch!  I never realized how often he was drawn to them. 

"Are you certain that I have not forgotten some? The ones about the king and his laws, and how we must defend every foot of his land and cling to each ruined castle? How does that part go?" Jon waited for an answer. None came. "I am the shield that guards the realms of men. Those are the words. So tell me, my lord—what are these wildlings, if not men?" Dance, Jon XI

This part always makes me wanna shout, "Hallelujah!"

PART IX: Rise and Sing!

1. Jon’s getting ready to rise. And return to Winterfell. To answer his call back to the crypts. The kings will stumble from their tombs. To answer the wolf’s call—a call to the living and the dead.

2. To answer Ghost’s song. He’s the only one yet to make his song. The only one who has not yet called for his pack mates. Living and ghostly. It's his turn.

3. “I am the horn that wakes the sleepers.” “You are your wolf and your wolf is you.” And the Song of the Earth has been forgotten—but direwolves remember. They, like the children, are the ancient races.

4. Jon has crossed the line between the living and the dead. He and Ghost are one, so Ghost has effectively crossed the line, too.

5. Ghost will finally sing his song. Ghost singing to ghosts. He and Jon will wake the sleepers. Uniting the living and the dead in the Battle for the Dawn against the supernatural and undead forces that threaten them all.

The Hour of the Wolf brings the Dawn. And wakes the sleepers to fight the Battle for the Dawn.

THE END

Gave.  Me.  Chills.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:59 AM, Sly Wren said:

As @Voice was pointing out,  "words are wind" makes it sound like words don't count.

But we see throughout the novels what happens when words aren't heeded. Or get broken. Let alone what happens at the Black Gate.

And the cold winds rising are DEFINITELY not nothing. If words are wind, are they behind those cold winds? 

Which would explain why the words of the "oath" are important to remember. To counter the other words??? Maybe

Yes and you wind a horn.  I wonder if the horn Sam has is similar to a dog whistle.  Only audible to direwolves.

2 hours ago, Sly Wren said:

*applause*

I swear--I think I've done a goos job looking for quotes, and then this happens.

This is perfect. Plus--Bran woke. "Fly or die!" He woke when the ravens and wolves called (and, I think, when Lady died). So, the other "Brans" should wake.

And I had thought of the weirwood roots being in the crypt, but had not thought of the Kings of Winter as being LIKE weirwood roots. Living, buried, memory grounding everything. Might be too cute by half, but the roots and the Kings are all mixed together.

Thank you.  I think you're right, I think they are connecting.  Trees spread so many roots, some no thicker than a thread of hair.  It makes me think of the little weeds that work their way into cracks in concrete.  It wouldn't necessarily have to be a large root to connect to the dead Starks.  Any strand would do.  And their memories, lives, thoughts, deeds, etc would be entombed in the weirwood.  A knowledge as deep and vast as the oceans.  Bran has already had a glimpse of it through the weirwood's eyes.  I imagine more will come to him with more training. 

2 hours ago, Sly Wren said:

1. Well done again.

2. It DOES come up a LOT, doesn't it? Easy to dismiss as everyone's just getting the creeps. But the option of their being sleepers HAS to be on the table.

3. I had not put the timeline together on Bran's locale when Jon has that dream. . . that makes a lot a sense.

Thank you, again.  It sure does.  Hell, I'm looking for shadows in unrelated POVs now.  lol  And I agree.  Sleepers = dead.  I think there will be a distinction between Stark dead and drowned/wight dead.  I will wait until the next section before getting too far into that crypt. 

1 hour ago, DarkSister1001 said:

When he closed his eyes he dreamed of direwolves.

There were five of them when there should have been six, and they were scattered, each apart from the others.  He felt a deep ache of emptiness, a sense of incompleteness.  The forest was vast and cold and they were so small, so lost.  His brothers were out there somewhere, and his sister, but he had lost their scent.  He sat on his haunches and lifted his head to the darkening sky, and his cry echoed through the forest, a long lonely mournful sound.  As it died away, he pricked up his ears, listening for an answer, but the only sound was the sigh of blowing snow.

ACoK, Chapter 53, Jon

1 hour ago, DarkSister1001 said:

This stuck out to me too.  It took me a while to realize that this was Jon in Summer, not Ghost.  Since he howls in this wolf and that's not Ghost's thing...yet.  Even his thoughts are different than they are when Bran is in Summer.  Bran-in-Summer says things like man-rock, steel-claws and grey cliffs.  Jon-in-Summer gave a much more eloquent and mature description. 

Okay--I've only got a few minutes, so I'll come back in a bit to answer the rest.

But this:

I've got a deep palm print on my face for not thinking of this sooner: I don't think Jon is in Summer.

I think Jon in Ghost CAN howl. They can sound the horn together. But perhaps only together. 

Just like Bran-in-the-tree can help Ghost-Jon in Jon's dream in ways that he couldn't otherwise.

They are more powerful unified. 

Back in a bit to see if you think I've gone mad. Or, perhaps just madder.

Brilliant post, makes so much sence. 

Reminds me of what Ned said to Arya about when winter comes the lone wolf dies but the pack survives. When the call goes out 'No one' will hear wherever she is and Arya will wake up and return to Winterfell. as will Sansa to Little Fingers dismay.

1 hour ago, Sly Wren said:

Okay--I've only got a few minutes, so I'll come back in a bit to answer the rest.

But this:

I've got a deep palm print on my face for not thinking of this sooner: I don't think Jon is in Summer.

I think Jon in Ghost CAN howl. They can sound the horn together. But perhaps only together. 

Just like Bran-in-the-tree can help Ghost-Jon in Jon's dream in ways that he couldn't otherwise.

ETA:  Regarding going mad, allow me to quote Alice in Wonderland. 

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”  

This is from Bran's chapter at the end of Clash

Here in the chill damp darkness of the tomb his third eye finally opened.  He could reach Summer whenever he wanted, and once he had even touched Ghost and talked to Jon.

40 minutes ago, krackensbane said:

Reminds me of what Ned said to Arya about when winter comes the lone wolf dies but the pack survives. When the call goes out 'No one' will hear wherever she is and Arya will wake up and return to Winterfell. as will Sansa to Little Fingers dismay.

Welcome!

Perhaps all the Stark kiddos, Jon and the remaining DWs need to come together in one mind.  One dream.  And then it can come forth from Ghost.  Maybe if it's done in the crypts they can even connect to Robb and Lady (or to Robb via GW)

23 hours ago, DarkSister1001 said:

@wolfmaid7 - I read your post on songs (LOVED IT!) but couldn't reply since it's had been archived.  What do you think is the significance, if any, of Hodor regularly "humming tunelessly"? 

I won't presume to speak for @wolfmaid7, but I had not even thought of this.

As many have said before, Hodor's hodoring is clearly important in some way.

But the singing out of tune--like he's out of step with the song of the earth when he should be in step with it?????

Isn't it amazing how quick Bran is to catch on to this?  He's sitting there howling away and Luwin comes in and seems exhausted at trying to get him to quit.  I think he says something along the lines of the wolves making enough noise without him. 

Arya does the same when she's on the run from the Harrenhal.  She thinks they're being followed, realized they're wolves and howls.  "The big one" howls backs.  Shortly thereafter Arya has a wolf dream and Nymeria and her pack take down a group of the Bloody Mummers tracking Arya et al.  I assume it's Nymeria since she rips a man's arm from the shoulder, that seems to be the Direwolves go-to move, as Ned once warned.

YUP! And Bran asks everyone in Winterfell why the wolves are howling and gets all sorts of crazy answers. Only Osha knows the wolves know things. But Bran knew before she told him.

I'd forgotten the Harrenhal howling--yes, they all sing. Even Sansa, in her way. And the arm ripping always reminds me of Beowulf's ripping off Grendel's arm for some reason.

Again with the shadows. 

Shadows on the souls, bones remembering...can a shadow be on the bones?

Yes--all the stuff you've found on shadows--the Others are white shadows. The Stark dead--grey and black. Shadows against shadows, maybe.

This part always makes me wanna shout, "Hallelujah!"

Yes. There are times I want to pitch Jon off of a building. But he does get thins key point. And, as you say, it's a preaching moment.

Yes and you wind a horn.  I wonder if the horn Sam has is similar to a dog whistle.  Only audible to direwolves.

Interesting--are you thinking it was used to wake the Star wargs? Call direowlves?

A knowledge as deep and vast as the oceans. 

And Bloodraven's cave has caverns going down to a sunless sea--water, earth, and memory.

I think there will be a distinction between Stark dead and drowned/wight dead. 

:agree:

Leaf says the direwolves are tied to her--like the Cave Lions, and the Giants, etc. If the Starks ARE direwolves in a sense, seems like they could be magical per se. So, rising from the own magic, vs. being "reanimated"???

Meh. .. that's pretty speculative.

22 hours ago, krackensbane said:

Thanks!:cheers:

Yes--and the speculative name for Martins' final novel: "A Time for Wolves."

The pack needs to run together. Living and dead.

19 hours ago, Kienn said:

Big bad Ghost will huff and puff and blow your Wall down?

HA! No. But be careful--HBO might actually try that.

But no--I don't think this is the "whole shebang"--this isn't the whole way they'll take down the Others. But I think it's part of it. Some have speculated that the crypts of Winterfell are where winter fell--they the cave, like Bloodraven's cave--where the last Winter got started. So. . . I could also see the Stark dead stopping the Others from entering. . . maybe.

19 hours ago, Kienn said:

Men are meat... Pork.

Ramsay? Is that you?

4 hours ago, Morrigan's Raven said:

:D So happy you posted this, @Sly Wren! :bowdown:

:cheers: Thank you, my friend!

21 hours ago, DarkSister1001 said:

This is from Bran's chapter at the end of Clash

Here in the chill damp darkness of the tomb his third eye finally opened.  He could reach Summer whenever he wanted, and once he had even touched Ghost and talked to Jon.

Yup! Power of history and memory, and even the dead, maybe?

1 hour ago, Schwarze Sonne said:

About waking the sleepers, the dead kings. Could it be that we'll see the deceased Kings of Winter coming to Jon's aid like how the dead kings came to help Aragorn in LotR?

YUP!

That's where the idea first started squirming around in my brain.

Though with Aragorn, he calls the Men of Dunharrow, because thy broke their oaths. They are now fulfilling them.

I'm thinking that the Stark dead are keeping their oaths--to be part of the Watch always.

Though it could also fit with the Tolkien model if the Starks were the ones who helped bring about the Long Night--the Night's King, etc. If so, then they may wait to help the next time the problem arises. Because they are . . . atoning or something.

In short--I think there are a lot of possibilities.

On April 21, 2016 at 3:23 PM, Raisin' Bran said:

I always wondered if the "his" was referring to someone else, rather than the Sworn Brother. Like he is quoting someone else, and that person is still relevant to the story, kind of a religious undertone.

Yup. 

Bran's Words. Builder. 13th Lord Commander. Giver of seeds and souls.

:commie:

Im totally sold on the jon/ghost being the Horn of Winter. so what does Sam have? we know its very old made with bronze, is broken and has runes on it, GRRM has been hard at work making sure we follow its path and constantly mentioning it and Joramun at the same time (sneeky).

I dont think its a dragon binder instead, we know about the horn that turned up with Euron that apparently burnt out the guy that blew it. that indicated to me Dany with her higher fire tolerance but Sams horn is different.

On April 22, 2016 at 0:17 PM, DarkSister1001 said:

On April 22, 2016 at 1:26 PM, Sly Wren said:

But this:

I read that quote as an actual dream by Jon as it is just before Bran touches him to open his third eye. After Bran's touch then Jon has his first wolf-dream inside Ghost. Summer wouldn't really make sense since at that time Summer would have been with Shaggydog - not all "scattered". I guess you could argue it is Grey Wind?

IMO it fits better if that is simply a dream and Jon's first skinchanging is after Bran opens his eye.

16 hours ago, Voice said:

Yup. 

If so, would you then assert that the Star in Winterfell used those words against the Night's King (since you think he's Brandon the Builder) to throw said Night's King down?

6 hours ago, krackensbane said:

Im totally sold on the jon/ghost being the Horn of Winter.

:cheers:

6 hours ago, krackensbane said:

so what does Sam have? we know its very old made with bronze, is broken and has runes on it, GRRM has been hard at work making sure we follow its path and constantly mentioning it and Joramun at the same time (sneeky).

I dont think its a dragon binder instead, we know about the horn that turned up with Euron that apparently burnt out the guy that blew it. that indicated to me Dany with her higher fire tolerance but Sams horn is different.

I wonder if the horn is magical or just . . . a warhorn. 

So far, the only working magical horn we've been show is a horror. But we know the Watch used horns for basic communication. And, if the Battle for the Wall, the Night's Watch horn sounds like an animal, and Jon notes that multiple wildlings sound their multiple horns. . . seems like they are all imitating the howling of a pack. 

He stepped to the edge of the precipice. Careful, he reminded himself, it is a long way down. Red Alyn sounded his sentry's horn once more, Aaaaahoooooooooooooooooooooooooo, aaaaahoooooooooooooooooooo. And now the wildlings answered, not with one horn but with a dozen, and with drums and pipes as well. We are come, they seemed to say, we are come to break your Wall, to take your lands and steal your daughters. The wind howled, the trebuchets creaked and thumped, the barrels flew. Behind the giants and the mammoths, Jon saw men advancing on the Wall with bows and axes. Were there twenty or twenty thousand? In the dark there was no way to tell. This is a battle of blind men, but Mance has a few thousand more of them than we do. Storm, Jon VIII

All of that makes it seem like Sam might have just found a horn. 

Martin keeps ups looking for horns with the Horn of Winter. And the stories of dragon-binder horns. But I think what the oath is telling us, and even the quote above is telling us, is that the horns are the human attempt to recreate . . . natural magic.

The natural unity of the pack. 

Or are you thinking Sam's horn does something specific?

3 hours ago, Kienn said:

I read that quote as an actual dream by Jon as it is just before Bran touches him to open his third eye. After Bran's touch then Jon has his first wolf-dream inside Ghost. Summer wouldn't really make sense since at that time Summer would have been with Shaggydog - not all "scattered". I guess you could argue it is Grey Wind?

IMO it fits better if that is simply a dream and Jon's first skinchanging is after Bran opens his eye.

Agreed.

And it fits with the idea that the pack needs to unite.

But I still am not sure what to do with the fact that Tree-Bran, who has been told to open his own third eye, tells Ghost-Jon to "open his eyes." Plural. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what's up with that.

1 hour ago, Julia H. said:

Amazing thread, Sly Wren, and a great theory! :cheers:

Thanks, Julia H! :cheers:

1 hour ago, Julia H. said:

I'll be back when I have more time...

Excellent. Dive on in whenever you like.

On 4/25/2016 at 5:17 PM, Sly Wren said:

If so, would you then assert that the Star in Winterfell used those words against the Night's King (since you think he's Brandon the Builder) to throw said Night's King down?

Well, we don't know if he was cast down by a "Stark"...

"Some say he was a Bolton," Old Nan would always end. "Some say a Magnar out of Skagos, some say Umber, Flint, or Norrey. Some would have you think he was a Woodfoot, from them who ruled Bear Island before the ironmen came. He never was. He was a Stark, the brother of the man who brought him down." She always pinched Bran on the nose then, he would never forget it. "He was a Stark of Winterfell, and who can say? Mayhaps his name was Brandon. Mayhaps he slept in this very bed in this very room."

So Night's King was a Stark. A Stark of Winterfell. "Mayhaps" Brandon. But the books never say the man who cast him down was also a "Stark" in name, nor that he was from Winterfell. It is another bit of clever writing from GRRM, imo, that tends to make us assume Night's King was brought down by a "Stark of Winterfell" but that isn't exactly what Old Nan said.

The books only make mention of him being "the brother of the man who brought him down." We know that in the Night's Watch, a man has many brothers.

The worldbook filled in some of this ambiguity, I know, but it is "semicanon" (if the SSM response to @WeaselPie can be believed...I don't want to derail the thread, but I trust WP's account). 

And even then, the Worldbook does not name "Brandon the Breaker" as a "Stark." B' the Breaker was a King of Winter, per the worldbook, but we do not know if "Starks" were the only Kings of Winter during the Long Night. Might be a Snow. Might be a Dayne. So long as they were sworn brothers of the Night's Watch, they would've been the Night's King's "brothers." Hell, KoW could even be a euphemism for whoever was Lord Commander during the Long Night... in which case, "Brandon the Breaker" would have been the fourteenth Lord Commander.

So... all that being said. Let me get back to your actual question. LOL

The words are wind, and we know the wind is powerful. Particularly wind at the Wall, and wind during the Long Night. The "old powers" that are awakening today were the "new powers" of their day. Night's King certainly seems like a Lord Commander dabbling in new powers...

So yes, I could see the vow being used to cast him down. It will be interesting to hear a Sworn Brother repeat the vow to an Other. Very interesting. Might be the Other kneels. Might be the Other knows the words better than the Night's Watchman. My money would be on the latter.

Night's King and the (sworn) brother that cast him down likely spoke the Old Tongue. The Old Tongue is likely far more powerful than the Common. If they spoke the vow in the Old Tongue, I would imagine it might have some interesting effects.

If the words were spoken in the True Tongue, a language said to have only been learned by one man (Bran the Builder), then he might just turn into an Other. Seems to me, the Others are quite good at keeping their vow. :devil:

That Brother who brought him down ended the Long Night. In that way, he was dawn, bringing light and heat to the world. The first Sword of the Morning.

If we imagine the first Sword of the Morning speaking those words, in those old tongues, yeah... I'd imagine some cool stuff would result, not the least of which is the kneeling of the brother that called himself "Night's King."

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 0:32 AM, Voice said:

Yup. 

I am not sure that the man who identified himself originally as "the watcher on the walls, the shield that protects the realms of men,..." would be the Night's King as well. Of course, what we know about the NK stems from a story 8000+ years old.

But in the context of what info we do have from the world book and Old Nan, I would say that no, the words do not belong to the NK.

Archived