Lucifer - TV series

ants

I caught a glimpse of a scene where Lucy was talking to a therapist (?). I was about to switch channels  but I heard a few lines from Seasons of Mists when he was talking to Morphy.  In the graphic novel, those lines felt something akin to revelations; in the tv scene, for those admittedly brief moments that I paid attention, it felt like petulant whining.

On 20/04/2016 at 9:43 AM, ants said:

Hmm, I seem to be a bit alone in my views here.

I'm not sure why the supporting cast are meant to be so dire, they seem pretty solid to me. Some are a bit vanilla, but then that lets Lucifer call them Detective Douche. :) Obviously as I haven't seen the comics, I can't comment on the comparison. But it seems to me using a technique like the police procedural to get people into the show is a good one. It will be interesting to see if they move away from it at all in season 2. Certainly you need to approach it that a big goal is the fun of Lucifer interacting with humanity. There is so much he doesn't understand.

But then, I have watched a number of police procedurals over the years so I don't mind them.

You're not, I love it and I don't care that it only loosely pays homage to Gaiman's original Sandman incarnation of Lucifer and even less of a nod to Mike Carey's more vicious one.

Tom Ellis sells it 100% and the show is equally both thoroughly entertaining and occasionally provoking of interesting discussion and argument (or at least over on Digital Spy where we've been discussing it since the show started :) )

• 5 months later...
59 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

So,anyone else here watching season 2 besides me ? :P

Great to see Tricia Helfer on tv again! Although i wish she was in Westworld instead of this.;)

I am still watching it :D Watched half of the first episode... Didn't have time to finish it... When Luke Cage binge ends, then we will talk about this...

I watched about half of the first season. I too was disappointed that it turned out to be a police procedural and I didn't even know it was based on a comic. I just wanted Gary to be the lead in his own great show. I don't think it's bad, because I don't have the disappointment of knowing the comic on which it's based, but it's still only OK.

• 1 year later...

I watch it -- religiously.

To me, the show has three interacting elements: Murder of the week, soapy personal relationships, and the Celestial Family.

I pay the least attention to the weekly whodunit. I occasionally can't remember the big reveal, but I don't bother going back to refresh my memory.

The "will they or won't they?" question for Chloe and Lucifer has grown annoying -- as have the on-again, off-again relationships of the supporting characters.

The whole concept of a dysfunctional Celestial Family is the part of the show that keeps me interested. Dad is the ultimate authority figure, putting both his rebellious son and ex-wife in Hell.

The Devil has brothers? What about Jesus? Would that be too controversial for the writers?

Both Lucifer and Mom can escape Hell? Was Cain condemned to forever wander the earth for killing Abel?

Being no theological scholar, I have gone to Google more than once for verification on some these developments. Not surprisingly, I've gotten ambiguous results.

Underlying every step or misstep the characters take is the old debate on free will. Do their decisions mean anything, or are they all simply conforming to Dear Old Dad's Plan?

The dialogue is consistently witty, and the show is fun to watch.

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I haven't finished the third season just yet, but I LOVE this show.  First season is a bit of a slog.  I slept watched most of it.  It gets MUCH grittier and funnier.  The whole cast is so completely dysfunctional that the entire show is a hilarious trashfire.  I hear the 4th season was produced by netflix and a lot of people have highly praised it.  I"m saving it for the christmas holiday.

Archived