Football: Hotspur's Fox Hunt

Zoë Sumra

7 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I missed much of the first half coz my sister phoned me but from what I saw Martial was boss. Him and Rashford is a pair with huge potential for the future.

Yeah, the trio of Martial-Rashford-Lingard were causing problems and showed alot of potential. There has been an improvement in our attacking play in the last two games where we've had alot more attempts at goal and on target. Hope this doesn't turn out to be yet another false dawn.

Sorry for piling on here, but I think Martinez rather unwittingly hit the nail on the head in his post game comments. I believe it was in the context of contrasting this game with Wednesday's ...[insert swearword here] ..., and he said: "The performance was a typical Everton response."

Of course he meant that the fightback was great, but having looked a lot at what he presents the last few years.. this is true. We give away goals at the death, losing matches. That is Martinez' Everton.

F*ck that guy. May he lose the ability to say positive words.

I'd kind of like Newcastle to survive because I want to see Rafa in the premiership, and I feel sorry for Newcastle fans constantly being jerked around by their owner and a succession of dodgy managers. Benitez might be able to actually make something of them and with their fanbase, stadium and an offseason and transfer window with Rafa they could easily be pushing Europa League next season.

I'm less likely to go for Sunderland because their manager is Big Sam "I can manage Real Madrid" Allardici. And I want them to lose next anyway because they're playing Arsenal.

But what about Norwich? I haven't really followed much of them this season. Are they worth going for over Newcastle?

That's the best part of Premier League - there are no safety nets.

Sure, big clubs have the upper hand on smaller clubs but if big clubs have a bad season or two, refs won't jump in to help them, the league won't reschedule their matches and stuff like that. If clubs are on the verge of bankruptcy, there will be no special favours granted.

That's why you can have Leeds play in the Champions League semifinals one season and a few seasons later they'll be struggling in League One. That's why three clubs with such history and fanbases can get relegated and clubs with less glory and/or popularity can retain the Premiership status.

We get into good positions but so rarely shoot or pull the trigger.

Sunderland could have nicked that one with a number of good opportunities there.

Looks like we're going to be dragged into a fourth place showdown.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

More surprising is that Sunderland did not score a goal. They had the clearer cut opportunities, especially in the 2nd half.

This. Arsenal was toothless. Wenger admits that Giroud is having a hard time scoring (no goals in 14 straight matches and 19 of last 20) yet he starts and plays him for 70 minutes anyway. Great management there.

Can't wait til he's gone and they cull house. Walcott, Giroud, Chamberlain, Ramsey, Mertesacker. Bye.

12 hours ago, Mexal said:

This. Arsenal was toothless. Wenger admits that Giroud is having a hard time scoring (no goals in 14 straight matches and 19 of last 20) yet he starts and plays him for 70 minutes anyway. Great management there.

Can't wait til he's gone and they cull house. Walcott, Giroud, Chamberlain, Ramsey, Mertesacker. Bye.

Yeah, I don't see why he played Giroud in a game against Sunderland. A pacey agile forward may have been a better matchup against the Sunderland defence.

In terms of culling...I think Mertesacker is on his way out, and Chamberlain may need a change of scenery. Ramsey I'm less sure of moving out, although I don't think he plays central midfield in our best team so an argument could be made for that. Depending on the top class forward that supplants them (assuming we ever get one) I'd still hang onto one of Walcott or Giroud as a backup. Any top team needs four strikers in the squad, and if we had a Top Import, Welbeck and then one of Walcott/Giroud plus counting Alexis as a forward, that might be a good mix.

Above all the top striker needs to be a clinical finisher like a Van Nistelrooy etc. With the amount of chances we create, anyone with decent finishing ability should be a lock for 20+ goals per season.

Archived