Football: Hotspur's Fox Hunt

Zoë Sumra

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Standing next to a ballboy and refusing to dob him into the ref is enough to make you think about cheering for Bayern? Shame on you sir!

Nah, I've no problem with overenthusiastic ballboys, but that was a very blatant late and long throw right into the ongoing attack of Malaga seconds after their throw in. I can't tell wether Simeone was the right one to blame, but this thing was very unsportsmanlike.

Also it doesn't take that much for me to cheer for the last remaining german team in the euro - competitions, even if it's Bayern, which I'll always hate for Helmut Markwort - I like a lot of their players, have respect for Guardiola and could even live with tax evading, gambling, self - righteous Uli.

Very deserved lead by Atletico much improved compared to their showing against PSV.

20 minutes ago, Fat Pink Master said:

No way the 1-0 is a deserved result

Yeah, if that Torres effort had gone in it would have been a fairer reflection. Be interesting to see if Ancellotti improves on Pep's ineffective aggression at the very highest levels.

9 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah, if that Torres effort had gone in it would have been a fairer reflection. Be interesting to see if Ancellotti improves on Pep's ineffective aggression at the very highest levels.

Whatever. I don't want to get into a long debate of good football vs Mourinho style, but all the match stats back up my original statement (and Bayern had a ball to the woodwork as well). Except for yellow cards, but that can be attributable to the referee's ridiculous double standard (Koke delays the game = 2 yellows for Bayern. Way to go).

1 minute ago, Fat Pink Master said:

Whatever. I don't want to get in a long debate of good football vs Mourinho style, but all the match stats back up my original statement.

Despite having 74% of the possession, Bayern only had 7 shots on target, to Atleti's 5. That would seem to me to be ineffective aggression.

It was actually a typical Atleti performance when they face sides like Bayern, Barca and Real. They know that they will be outmatched in the possession department so work extra hard to close down space and make it as difficult as possible for the opposition to play free flowing football. However, to say that Atleti's style of football is equivalent to Mourinho's "parking the bus" tactics is unfair as Atleti do still look to get forward whenever the opportunity arises. Anyway, a much more entertaining game than City/Real. Both semi-finals are nicely poised. Hope Ronaldo is fit for the 2nd leg.

18 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

It was actually a typical Atleti performance when they face sides like Bayern, Barca and Real. They know that they will be outmatched in the possession department so work extra hard to close down space and make it as difficult as possible for the opposition to play free flowing football. However, to say that Atleti's style of football is equivalent to Mourinho's "parking the bus" tactics is unfair as Atleti do still look to get forward whenever the opportunity arises. Anyway, a much more entertaining game than City/Real. Both semi-finals are nicely poised. Hope Ronaldo is fit for the 2nd leg.

Er, what would be unfair is to compare them to Roberto Di Matteo's style of parking the bus. But Mourinho at his best was able to match of surpass this Atlético's level of attacking prowess (catch the first 20 minutes of the Chelsea 4-2 Barça from 2004-05 if you can to see what I'm talking about; that season was the epitome of Mourinho's football to me).

What everyone but his fanboys hate is his encouragement of dirtyness ("Pepe Mátalo", the Bernabéu sang about Messi) and his off-the-field antics. And let's face it, most people sympathize with Atlético basically because of their relatively inferior budget compared to the "big" clubs. But they're as dirty and unsportmanlike as any of Mourinho's rich teams from the recent past.

Martinez wants to be judged on the last three years, not the last three months.

I honestly don't think he understands what he asks for. First season, he excelled, and the nine first months were great. Then, the second season was a step back in terms of both play and results (but: we were the last English team to be knocked out of Europe! Well done, Roberto!). This season has seen our attack improve slightly, our defence deteriorate rapidly and our results regress further (but we did well in the cups!). 

Sorry, Roberto. We are judging you on three years, in the league. The trend is rather clear - constant regression. Please note that, and f*ck off!

With Hummels it is official now. He has submitted a request to join Bayern. 
Looks almost like a firesale in progress now with Dortmund.

Gündogan to Man City, Hummels to Bayern. 

Just Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan left to say where they are heading.

Does Bayern pay a lot more (if so, why is their spending power that much greater?) or is it just like Lebron going to Miami to win championships?

I know Bayern is a much bigger club but Dortmund gets an 80,000 home crowd and the TV money isn't too skewed. 

2 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Toothless from Liverpool, unsurprisingly, with Sturridge on the bench.

Kolo has been magnificent though.

I'm wondering if we've been transported into an alternate universe, reading sentences like that.

33 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Does Bayern pay a lot more (if so, why is their spending power that much greater?) or is it just like Lebron going to Miami to win championships?

I know Bayern is a much bigger club but Dortmund gets an 80,000 home crowd and the TV money isn't too skewed. 

A bit of both.

Bayern as a club had been run competently since Hoeneß took over in the late 1970s. They were and are kinda frontrunner in terms of marketing and merchandising in Germany (Adidas kit deal for 10 years worth around 1 bilion Euros). They played constantly European football for 40 years or so, with one or two odd seasons in which they failed to qualify. So they can pay higher wages than Dortmund (or any other German club), and they have a stronger appeal, because that's the German club to win silverware. 

TV money is a bit skewed, but that's skewed to both Dortmund and Bayern. Germany has centralized TV deals. Clubs get paid their share based on their success during a 5 year period. Oh, Germany's second league is also in that central pot. 

With Hummels there's also another factor in play. He was born in Munich, he played in all their youth teams. Sending him away was one of those Klinsmann gaffes during his brief time as their manager. So for him it's moving home, and maybe feeling like he has to prove something.

Wenger starts Giroud again. He has gone 14 straight PL games without goal. Is Wenger just trolling now? The team clearly looked better with Welbeck up front and now he's dropped for a striker who can't score. Pathetic.

Archived