Football: Hotspur's Fox Hunt

Zoë Sumra

2 minutes ago, Slick Mongoose said:

On this showing I don't think we can expect anything from Everton against Leicester. :(

Depends. If Martinez is still on the sideline then, you can expect three points for Leicester. If someone (the board) wises up and kicks him out now (like, right now), we may still present a fight. 

Possibly.

2 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Depends. If Martinez is still on the sideline then, you can expect three points for Leicester. If someone (the board) wises up and kicks him out now (like, right now), we may still present a fight. 

Possibly.

Who would you get?

3 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Shit.  Situations like this call for repercussions for the offending player and their club.  That's like when Pepe and Ramos used to try to maim Messi in the Classico. 

This sounds a lot like punishing consequenses, and not actions. 

5 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Shit.  Situations like this call for repercussions for the offending player and their club.  That's like when Pepe and Ramos used to try to maim Messi in the Classico. 

Funes Mori should obviously get battered by the disciplinary but why would you punish the club? Except in extreme situations where there's a failure to control the players as a whole (as happened in a few of those Classicos) but that's not what happened here.

Anyway, we won. Not too much more to say. More impetus in the final third but the final pass was often poor. What price a Rashford hattrick against Everton, mind you?

3 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

This sounds a lot like punishing consequenses, and not actions. 

It sounds like Funes Mori intended to hurt him, and I know Pepe and Ramos did.  These aren't particularly subtle players or nuanced incidents. 

But I haven't seen the tackle yet, I've only seen the outrage and disgust from Liverpool fans. 

6 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Anyone not named Martinez? Heck, we could hire you and things wouldn't look as bad. 

What do you think of the Watford manager? Granted, I have not watched a great deal of Watford but from what I've seen, Flores seems much more capable at defensive organisation than Martinez.

2 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

It sounds like Funes Mori intended to hurt him, and I know Pepe and Ramos did.  These aren't particularly subtle players or nuanced incidents. 

But I haven't seen the tackle yet, I've only seen the outrage and disgust from Liverpool fans. 

To me it seemed more like what I see way too often these days: players going for a ball, but doing so studs up, and too aggressive. He hit the ancle, which isn't uncommon, and he certainly deserved a red, but aiming to hurt? 

Don't see that. 

2 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

What do you think of the Watford manager? Granted, I have not watched a great deal of Watford but from what I've seen, Flores seems much more capable at defensive organisation than Martinez.

It was amazing how quickly he got the team organised considering he essentially brought a whole new team in, and they're solid, but he appears to lack a little attacking imagination. Once teams worked out the Deeney-Ighalo combo, Watford were fucked.

3 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Sorry, but I've decided we need to hire Slick.

As for Flores, he'd be a step up, I think. He has done well with his hastily-assembled squad. I wouldn't mind Koeman (but why should he come?), otherwise .. I'm not following football too closely these days. Two kids take a lot of time, so anything not named Everton or Bryne FK are simply not on my list of priorities

I think the FA has the ability to extend the ban in extreme circumstances, such as if they feel the player went in with the intention to hurt.

If I were in charge of Everton, I'd sack Martinez now and hopefully get some response from the players for the FA Cup semi at the weekend. I'd try and get Lucien Favre for next season as manager, maybe Gary Rowett instead but a lesser Premier League job would do him better first.

2 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

The big problem for me was, he kicked the ball away after the foul, he aggressively protested the red card, and he waggled his badge on his way off like he was the biggest arsegoblin in the Universe.

You know what, I think he was. 

Archived