Football: Hotspur's Fox Hunt

Zoë Sumra

44 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

How badly was Origi hurt?

Nothing broken and no ligament damage,just a sprain so hopefully will back in couple of weeks.

I would rather we had lost today than him getting injured ,especially at this stage when we have crucial games coming up..:(

ETA: just read that Klopp has said nothing broken but likely ligament damage.Scans will tell more.Shit.:(

After all the hamstring injuries in the winter, our main injuries now are Can, Henderson and Origi with impact injuries.  It's a pity to lose Can and Origi in red hot form as we approach a European semi-final.  I hope Firmino recovers his sharpness very quickly. 

I guess Caulker will have to start as striker against Newcastle to rest Danny again. 

If you were to judge Flores based on today's performance, you'd maybe hang on to Martinez given the choice.  Watford's defense was dreadful.  If West Ham weren't so wasteful, they could easily have won by four or five. 

11 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I'm watching the United game obviously but apparently Funes Mori was beating his chest and pointing to the badge as he went off. What a dickhead. 

He was definitely pointing to the badge and I think he kissed it, too. Beating his chest? Not so much. He showed complete lack of remorse or caring after that tackle, but let's not add to what already is a very poor behaviour from his part.

10 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Shit.  Situations like this call for repercussions for the offending player and their club.  That's like when Pepe and Ramos used to try to maim Messi in the Classico. 

Except that:

• Pepe and Ramos are known for their violent behaviour, while I don't remember Funes Mori ever doing anything like this
  • Real Madrid and Barcelona direct competitors for Champions League and pretty much the only contenders for La Liga title so there could be motivation for hurting other team's star player. On the other hand, Liverpool's only remaining shot at silverware is Europa League Everton is not taking part in and neither of the clubs has a realistic shot at either a Premiership title or even finishing fourth, and Origi, while in great form recently, is definitely not the star player of the team.
10 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

It sounds like Funes Mori intended to hurt him, and I know Pepe and Ramos did.  These aren't particularly subtle players or nuanced incidents. 

But I haven't seen the tackle yet, I've only seen the outrage and disgust from Liverpool fans. 

I wouldn't go as far as to suggest that Funes Mori intended to hurt Origi. It was a completely reckless tackle, with serious consequences and the offending player should and will definitely get punished for his actions leading to and, especially, after the incident.

As I said, there is no need to add anything more to this, since Funes Mori's actions are already bad enough.

10 hours ago, Rorshach said:

To me it seemed more like what I see way too often these days: players going for a ball, but doing so studs up, and too aggressive. He hit the ancle, which isn't uncommon, and he certainly deserved a red, but aiming to hurt? 

Don't see that. 

I agree completely. No need to make Funes Mori a devil incarnate over this whole thing, though he definitely needs to be suspended both for what he did and as an example that such behaviour will not be tolerated.

10 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

The big problem for me was, he kicked the ball away after the foul, he aggressively protested the red card, and he waggled his badge on his way off like he was the biggest arsegoblin in the Universe.

100% this. He acted as if Origi should just walk it off.

10 hours ago, Sept Sev said:

I think the FA has the ability to extend the ban in extreme circumstances, such as if they feel the player went in with the intention to hurt.

FA's ability to extend bans at a whim is as big of a problem as this kind of behaviour from players.

I think we all remember Suarez getting banned (8 matches, was it?) for calling Evra "negrito" and Terry getting away with calling Anton Ferdinand "a f*ckin black c*nt"...

There is no need to make this tackle into anything more than it already is.

14 hours ago, Rorshach said:

As the game got on a bit, and intensity levels dropped, you can see how utterly dogshit our defending is. Good news (I pray) is that no-one can watch this and not see how clueless Martinez in when it comes to organizing defences. This is his third year with our current players (Funes Mori aside), and they look .... godawful. 

Martinez out - now. Preferably during half time.

Was stones injured? I don't get why you would take off the only CB and put a midfielder on....only to defend with everyone in the box?

I would've understood if he went all out attack to try to get a win, but taking of the CB and then defending for remainder of the game seemed odd.

12 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Was stones injured? I don't get why you would take off the only CB and put a midfielder on....only to defend with everyone in the box?

I would've understood if he went all out attack to try to get a win, but taking of the CB and then defending for remainder of the game seemed odd.

There was some talk of stomach cramps. Could be true for all I know.

1 hour ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Maybe cause he was fucking awful

I still hope that we make a move for Stones. Martinez' ineptitude at defensive organistion has infected the entire team and Stones' form has suffered as a result. Put Stones in a side where the manager and coaching staff know how to set up defensively and I firmly believe that he has what it takes to be a top class defender.

I am slightly surprised Ozil hasn't made it given his 18 assists and 6 goals in the league. I get his assist total has dropped in 2016 but that's more a function of Arsenal's inability to finish chances rather than Ozil's poor form. Not sure who you take out (guess it'd only be Alli and he's been great) but it is an omission in my mind. Otherwise, looks about right.

You can always make a case for one player or another. 

About Özil as you pointed out, whom would you drop from the EPL team of the year for him?

As for goalkeepers of the season you can probably also make a case for Schmeichel, as he's been rock solid and contributed to Leicester's season, or for Lloris, afterall Tottenham has conceded the fewest goals in the league.

30 minutes ago, Notone said:

You can always make a case for one player or another. 

About Özil as you pointed out, whom would you drop from the EPL team of the year for him?

As for goalkeepers of the season you can probably also make a case for Schmeichel, as he's been rock solid and contributed to Leicester's season, or for Lloris, afterall Tottenham has conceded the fewest goals in the league.

I agree with you. but, sans Hugo and schmeichel spurs and foxes are still looking good.

without de gea man united are 14th place. this is the second season in a row he has propped them up. for that I can see him being the runaway choice.

Yes, and I didn't say de Gea was not a deserving EPL Goalkeeper of the year.

I just wanted to point out, that you can somehow always make case for a player that did not make the cut. 

I can see why people make a case for Özil to be on the team, but I can also see why he did not make it. Özil carried Arsenal over a few stretches in this season, and he scored a few vital goals in addition to his usually high assist rate. IMO without him Arsenal would not be in the top 4 this season. He was not as vital for Arsenal as de Gea was for United, but he definately was their go-to-guy this season. But just getting barely into the Champions League qualification is simply a worse tie breaker, than at least finishing second (Alli (Spurs), Mahrez and Kante (Leicester)) or still having a shot at silverware (de Gea (United); FA Cup).

4 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Looks like Sakho failed a drug test for diet pills or something and is suspended. Great 

According to the BBC, he's not suspended per se yet, but the club have decided that while the investigation is ongoing they won't play him.

Archived