X-Men Apocalypse: continued

Maltaran

Theres a new trailer out and it reveals several plot points which probably would have come as a surprise if I'd only watched the material released before now. YMMV but I kinda regret watching it now. Just saying.

27 minutes ago, The_Gallows_Knight said:

Here's the new Trailer.

I haven't watched it so I can't say anything about how spoiler-y it might be.

The only spoilery bit IMO was the teaser hit at the very last second.  If you were to cut off your video when you see the X-Men logo come up, I don't think it would feel like it had many spoilers.

The whole "Mystique as leader of the X-men" bit does still bother me, but I get it... J-Law is huge right now.  I liked seeing her in the traditional Mystique dress though.

Not sure I realized we were going to be rehashing the entire "student" concept of First Class though.  :dunno:  Would like to see them as an established team by now.

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

The whole "Mystique as leader of the X-men" bit does still bother me, but I get it... J-Law is huge right now.  I liked seeing her in the traditional Mystique dress though.

Sorry, am I blind? When did she wear here traditional costume?

22 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Sorry, am I blind? When did she wear here traditional costume?

I may have been mistaken on rewatch.  At the 2:00 mark, it looks like she's wearing a white shoulderless dress, but as I paused it I think maybe it looks like a blue leather jacket  with white down the middle (in the pattern of her white dress).

14 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I may have been mistaken on rewatch.  At the 2:00 mark, it looks like she's wearing a white shoulderless dress, but as I paused it I think maybe it looks like a blue leather jacket  with white down the middle (in the pattern of her white dress).

Gotcha, it's a perhaps a nod towards the white tunic, but like a lot of the X-Men films it falls short of what, I think, we all want.

Interesting Sophie Turner is in several shots in the trailer but not a single line of dialogue. I hope she does OK in this. I think in some ways how she odes in this movie will pretty much make or break her future career in movie stardom.

I hope she does well, I think Jean Grey is a pretty safe-bet as a character.

I do wonder how much this applies though, two big actors from GoT have had films recently (neither of which I saw) Terminator (whatever it was called) was by all accounts rotten, has it damaged Emilia too much? Pompei wasn't great, how is Kit looking after that?

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

Looks close enough to her classic look to me. I like it as well.

3 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

I do wonder how much this applies though, two big actors from GoT have had films recently (neither of which I saw) Terminator (whatever it was called) was by all accounts rotten, has it damaged Emilia too much? Pompei wasn't great, how is Kit looking after that?

Terminator was bad and Emilia was miscasted IMO, but she was decent in it.Pompei was really bad, and really none of it was Kit's fault, he played his role well, which was limited to pretty boy with abs.

Kit's still in high demand, Emilia I have no clue.. 

5 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

2 hours ago, The Unborn said:

Terminator was bad and Emilia was miscasted IMO, but she was decent in it.Pompei was really bad, and really none of it was Kit's fault, he played his role well, which was limited to pretty boy with abs.

Kit's still in high demand, Emilia I have no clue.. 

Yeah, I think there's quite a difference between an up and coming actor doing a decent job in a shit movie (Terminator Genesis - why do I know this? and Pompeii), and doing a shit job in a decent / good movie. You can come back from being in a bad movie but actually helping to make it less sucky. But if you suck in a movie that's good, esp if all the other established actors around you do a good job, then it's hard to come back from that.

I'm not sure Emilia Clark is actually all that good of an actor, I suppose I should watch TG to see how she performs outside of GoT. I saw Pompeii and I think Kit is a decent actor. I don't think he'll ever win an Oscar, but he will be able to hold his own.

Also Maisie Williams has been in a bomb of a movie called Heatstroke. But I don't think it event went to the Box office because there's no numbers on Box office mojo.

Sophie has done some good work in GoT, but she always seemed a bit stiff. If that's just the way she's interpreted and played Sansa then that's good I guess, but I worry that she is a bit stiff as an actor and that it simply works with a character like Sansa, but it won't work in many other situations.

5 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Also Maisie Williams has been in a bomb of a movie called Heatstroke. But I don't think it event went to the Box office because there's no numbers on Box office mojo.

Again films I didn't see, but Maisey was in a film called the Falling more recently that I gather was quite good.

Spoiler tagged only for people who haven't watched the trailer all the way through:

Anyone else think the scene with Wolverine will be aligning this movie with the new timeline version of Wolverine Origins? It's been a while since I've seen it, but those cells remind me of the ones where Scott was being kept in W:O where he freed a bunch of mutants.

regarding new trailer

Wish they'd kept the Wolverine appearance as a surprise - I'd have enjoyed that. Seems like they are scared people may still be watching "Civil War" and have to pull out an A-lister character to generate interest.

53 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Spoiler tagged only for people who haven't watched the trailer all the way through:

Hide contents

Anyone else think the scene with Wolverine will be aligning this movie with the new timeline version of Wolverine Origins? It's been a while since I've seen it, but those cells remind me of the ones where Scott was being kept in W:O where he freed a bunch of mutants.

altering the events of W:O can only be a good thing. although I like how Deadpool handled it too by only drawing attention to it for laughs. It definitely had a weapon x/Department H feel to it for me.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

regarding new trailer

Hide contents

Wish they'd kept the Wolverine appearance as a surprise - I'd have enjoyed that. Seems like they are scared people may still be watching "Civil War" and have to pull out an A-lister character to generate interest.

Hide contents

altering the events of W:O can only be a good thing. although I like how Deadpool handled it too by only drawing attention to it for laughs. It definitely had a weapon x/Department H feel to it for me.

Spoiler

Given that Stryker shows up and Wolverine has his metal claws he's been through the process. And then there's this from last months Empire:

In a sequence revolving around Mystique, Beast, Quicksilver, and Moira MacTaggert, the magazine describes the scene as follows: “The quartet have been kidnapped by army twonk William Stryker following a cataclysmic event at the X-Mansion, and wake up in a holding cell. On a balcony above them, Stryker taunts his prisoners, demanding to know the whereabouts of Magneto.”

So Mystique took Wolverine as Striker, and then at some point the real Striker returned alive and took custody of Wolverine? I hope they actually explain this. I'm still mildly annoyed that they just didn't bother to address Patrick Stewart Xavier being alive in the last one. 

27 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

It was very faintly explained during Last Stand wasn't it? Talking about the brain dead brother during an ethics class or something? My memory of LS is hazy to say the least.

There was something about the ethics of moving a consciousness to the brain dead guy, yeah. I'd say that's a bit of setup, but not an explanation. My memory of that movie is hazy as well, but I don't recall any indication that the man was his brother. Let alone his identical twin who was also paralyzed for some reason. I'm ok with movies requiring viewers to work out a few answers on their own, but only if the answers aren't incredibly stupid and contrived.

Archived