X-Men Apocalypse: continued

Maltaran

3 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Fastball Special would wreck any of them outside of Mags.

He's Wolverine. Much like how Batman can add something of use to a team where everyone else has god like powers. It just is.

Let's say Wolverine's healing factor makes him immune to Apocalypse's suggestion powers. That makes him handy. Vs Angel or Psylocke he has a fighting chance too.

My memory is hazy but without new timeline shenanigans Storm, Jean and Cyclops should all have known him before he turns up in X1? More hazy is the impression I got was Wolverine was magically asleep until the present day in DOFP. Or was that supposed to be "he lived his life and woke up in "now" with the audience missing everything in between?

39 minutes ago, red snow said:

He's Wolverine. Much like how Batman can add something of use to a team where everyone else has god like powers. It just is.

Let's say Wolverine's healing factor makes him immune to Apocalypse's suggestion powers. That makes him handy. Vs Angel or Psylocke he has a fighting chance too.

My memory is hazy but without new timeline shenanigans Storm, Jean and Cyclops should all have known him before he turns up in X1? More hazy is the impression I got was Wolverine was magically asleep until the present day in DOFP. Or was that supposed to be "he lived his life and woke up in "now" with the audience missing everything in between?

Yeah, he's useful regardless.

Not sure about the timeline shenanigans. He was around in what was it, like 1972 in the last flick, but he didn't seem to be involved directly with the X-men until Kitty sends his future self back. Not sure what contact pre-DOFP Wolvie had with any of the other members of the team. I seem to remember he had something to do with saving a young Cyclops from Stryker or the government or something back in Wolverine Origins. Not sure where that film sits in the timeline. Maybe the whole success of the latest Deadpool movie wiped that from existence. 

39 minutes ago, red snow said:

That's interesting. Psylocke has been one of the more intriguing members in the trailers.  I particularly liked her kinetic blade and the elastic effect they gave it (which I don't recall being the case from the comics). Wolverine is likely no more than a cameo, but Wolverine vs Psylocke could be fun. Does her kinetic blade cut through adamantium?

41 minutes ago, red snow said:

Now that DoFP has changed things we're in a different timeline to X1, so we can assume he didn't meet any of them in the original timeline.

When Olderine's mind went back to Youngerine's body, Youngerine's mind went into a sort of limbo, (it briefly snaps back into place when Wolverine freaks out over Stryker and Kitty struggles to keep him in place,) when the connection was severed at the end of the film, Youngerine's mind took over his body again with no memory of the last few days, it continued to pilot his body until we reach the same point in time when Olderine jumped back from, at which point Olderine takes over and shunts the Youngerine's mind out, with no memories of anything of the new timeline.

1 hour ago, WarGalley said:

That's interesting. Psylocke has been one of the more intriguing members in the trailers.  I particularly liked her kinetic blade and the elastic effect they gave it (which I don't recall being the case from the comics). Wolverine is likely no more than a cameo, but Wolverine vs Psylocke could be fun. Does her kinetic blade cut through adamantium?

In the comics it's a psychic knife and later a telekinetic knife, either way not something I imagine will matter against adamantium.

Interesting video with a costume designer showing off his work:

But the takeaway for this thread is that he bidded to do Apocalypse (the character) but lost out, he's still doing the other aspects of the film, but designed an Apocalypse anyway:

15 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Damn, that looks perfect. :(

There's no reason other than Singer wanted to put his own spin on things that Oscar Isaac couldn't at least have had the same type of head/face make-up as in the linked design.

I caught the most recent trailer at the cinema last night and have to give credit where it's due that there was a lot of blue Mystique present in the trailer. It certainly suggests it won't be  everyday Lawrence throughout so can potentially put my initial worries aside for the time being. I wonder if this was a repsonse to people noticing a lack of blue in the first trailers? I also wonder if some of blue mystique is down to CGI? That would certainly get around the potential issue of the make-up irritating Lawrence's skin.

On 5/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, dooog said:

Yep that Apocalypse is miles better than what we're getting

It does look like it yeah. Odd. Reminds me of reading the Art of Chronicles books for the Hobbits, where the designers did some outstanding designs for certain characters and Jackson would go with the one that least appealed to me.

This movie is getting ASSASSINATED by reviewers!

“We can all agree that the third one is usually the worst,” says Jean, coming out of a showing of Return of the Jedi, and when it comes to this recent trio of X-Men movies, she’s not wrong.

Ouch.

While not glowing they seem to be pretty middle of the road to me: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/x_men_apocalypse/#contentReviews

This one seems particularly damning though: http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/x-men-apocalypse-review

From the couple I've read so far Cyclops and Jean appear to be good, so hope there going forward.

Not surprising about that CBR review, but what a bummer. It does look like a retread and that's what I've been worried about. Especially with Magneto being the bad guy Yet Again, and doing so in precisely the same way he has since X2. 

The critics almost always rate superhero films lower than fan ratings. And that 49% is only 18 favourable to 19 unfavourable, it's average score is 5.5, so at worst it's mediocre. Stuckman usually gets them right for me, so I'm not to worried yet.

Archived