X-Men Apocalypse: continued

Maltaran

On 9/6/2016 at 10:26 PM, Martini Sigil said:

They botched Warren Worthington..... again. .... Apocalypse gives Storm her White hair?....He also made Xavier bald?.... WTF? ....

We actually laughed at the theatre with this. "They got their hairstyles with trauma".

They did the same with Rogue in X-Men.

And yep, my ex is being a fan of the Angel since ever and he hates how these movies have treated him.

On 6/12/2016 at 9:22 AM, AverageGuy said:

So why did Magneto have to be used for the apocalyptic event? Why not just bring the nukes right back down instead of detonate them in space?

It was alluded to earlier in the film that Apocalypse didn't like the idea of the USSR & USA being considered "super powers." In his ego driven mind he was the only true super power, so he took away the weapons/tools that made those nations powerful. He didn't' want to rule over an Earth that was a nuclear wasteland.

FIRST CLASS is still my favorite film in the franchise (if you're not counting Deadpool), but overall I thought this was a pretty damned good X-Men film. Maybe even Bryan Singer's best, but I'd have to re-watch X2 to be 100% on that. 

Guys, silly question, but did I dream it or Quicksilver was at some point using some silver sunglasses (with the lens being silver?). I remember them, but I can't find them. They were totally cool, and I want them.

(This is karma bc my ex wanted the ones Cyclops used in the FIRST X MEN MOVIE and I never found them... It's been like 16 years and he still wants them...)

Couldn't Singer come up with a decent finish to the final battle?  Some tactics or distraction or anything besides mutants just using their powers on the bad guy at the same time.  If they had a good ending of the fight, I'd have been more likely to give the movie a pass.

• 2 months later...

The deleted mall scene you knew that had to exist got released today. It was kinda meh. You actually get to see Jubilee use her powers. Which are fairly laughable. Also kinda laughable is everyone's non-reaction to Nightcrawler. I guess Singer was establishing in this timeline mutants are more accepted, but then that totally doesn't fit if he's making this a true prequel to his original X-Men film. So I'm guessing that's at least part of the reason why it got cut.

5 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

The deleted mall scene you knew that had to exist got released today. It was kinda meh. You actually get to see Jubilee use her powers. Which are fairly laughable. Also kinda laughable is everyone's non-reaction to Nightcrawler. I guess Singer was establishing in this timeline mutants are more accepted, but then that totally doesn't fit if he's making this a true prequel to his original X-Men film. So I'm guessing that's at least part of the reason why it got cut.

I loved Nightcrawler dancing on his tail :P

Pretty bad scene overall showing how some scenes are cut for a reason. As you say it makes no sense that everyone is cool with Nightcrawler. The scene would have been better if it ended with the reveal Jean was making everyone see him as a human which would have been a spin on the old image-inducers.

I guess Singer not giving a crap about a time-line he apparently spent a whole film remaking puts him in good company when it comes to creators working on any form of the X-men franchises.

Man, they brought up the Sophie Turner/Boy George thing! The mall scene was underwhelming, and Singer's utter lack of self-awareness when throwing obvious shade at Ratner's movie while ignoring that he too made a terrible third part himself is still amusing. 

I did like J-Law in the gag reel knowing that Kurt is her son from Azazel in the comics, and Alexandra Shipp remains adorable, even if I still think they should've cast someone with darker skin as Storm. 

17 minutes ago, Lyin' Ned said:

Man, they brought up the Sophie Turner/Boy George thing! The mall scene was underwhelming, and Singer's utter lack of self-awareness when throwing obvious shade at Ratner's movie while ignoring that he too made a terrible third part himself is still amusing. 

I did like J-Law in the gag reel knowing that Kurt is her son from Azazel in the comics, and Alexandra Shipp remains adorable, even if I still think they should've cast someone with darker skin as Storm. 

I guess Singer was aware of the pit-hole with the third-film gag - he was just too self-assured to think his third film in the prequel trilogy may be observed in the same way.

Good to hear J-Law did some research (or at least listened to the research) of the character. There's clearly a missing scene from First Class somewhere :P

I don't get the complaints about the timeline...

DoFP was a prequel-reboot-sequel. The timeline was rebooted in-universe, so it doesn't lead to the first X-Men film anymore. You all seem aware of that, yet still find it strange that the mutants are treated differently... I'm missing something.

I don't mind it being different, but they need to explain it a bit. It just seems a bit odd that Magneto can show up, threaten to kill the president on TV, and people are cooler with mutants in this timeline than in the original.

Then there's the just general tone, the world hating and fearing them is kind of their thing.

4 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I don't get the complaints about the timeline...

DoFP was a prequel-reboot-sequel. The timeline was rebooted in-universe, so it doesn't lead to the first X-Men film anymore. You all seem aware of that, yet still find it strange that the mutants are treated differently... I'm missing something.

Like Blackbear said, there's not much to be hated and feared by if mutants, including Nightcrawler are seen as cool and completely accepted. Surely a mallcop would approach Nightcrawler? It doesn't fit in with the time-line because irrespective of time-travel Magneto should have still scared the shit out of everyone in DOFP with his very public attack. Look at the attitude towards muslims post 9-11 and imagine how it'd be magnified if there had been a terrorist attack on the President.

Other time issues within the prequels is how no-one seems to age much despite there being a decade between each film. First class is set in 1962 and Apocalypse in 1983. They just seem to ignore that fact. Quicksilver hasn't had much growth over a decade. Then there's the general issue of I think Singer just wanted to cancel out "last stand" (understandable) but his reboot makes it hard to believe his X1 and X2 films are now "legit". Did Wolverine (the version we know from the films) only regain consciousness in "present day" - if so did he completely miss out on his life between 1973 and 200X? Maybe the Wolverine film will try and address this?

Like I say - I'm used to this with the X-men franchise in general so I don't let it cloud my judgement too much.

3 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

Apparently Mr.Sinister will make his live-action debut in the next Wolverine movie.

Also heard that's who Richard E grant will be playing. Good casting if so - although bold to turn down Cranston when he states he wants to play the part.

These movies don't even attempt to maintain continuity. We have Kitty randomly gaining time travel powers because the plot requires it. Professor X coming back to life with no explanation. Mystique's entire retconned backstory. Plus the whole thing with her replacing Stryker at the end of Days of Future Past and capturing Logan being totally ignored in this last one.

11 minutes ago, red snow said:

Did Wolverine (the version we know from the films) only regain consciousness in "present day" - if so did he completely miss out on his life between 1973 and 200X? Maybe the Wolverine film will try and address this?

This is explained. Once future Wolvie's mind leaves the body, the mind that it supplanted takes over again (presumably confused as to how he went from a bed to half drowned and in Mystique/Strykers care (seriously that's a real weird continuity issue)), he lives his life right up until the point the other mind jumped back from at which point it is replaced. Logan has been doing stuff since and at some point ended up at the school as a teacher.

It's still pretty icky when you think about it, as Oldgan is replacing Youngans mind totally which kind of seems like murder, he's not the same guy the people who's lives he's about to slot himself into know, that guy is gone forever, and now some other guy none of them have met is running around in his body.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

These movies don't even attempt to maintain continuity. We have Kitty randomly gaining time travel powers because the plot requires it. Professor X coming back to life with no explanation. Mystique's entire retconned backstory. Plus the whole thing with her replacing Stryker at the end of Days of Future Past and capturing Logan being totally ignored in this last one.

Agreed... Fox doesn't seem concerned with continuity.... the source comics... or even making sense... except for maybe when Wolverines claws are supposed to be bone, or metal.... I think that they think if they keep that straight, then we'll ignore all of the other silly plot craters 

Not to mention how they over-power Quicksilver based upon a really cool special effect...

.... now we get to see them ruin Mr. Sinister...

Completely disagree about the deleted scene. It would've been my favorite scene in the movie, had it been there. The movie used the 80s as a setting, but didn't do anything besides use big hair and bad fashion to evoke the period. The reason why the other prequels worked so well is because the period was used. Apocalypse might as well have been set in the present day...the deleted scene, at least, tried to establish the era and give the movie a personality.

I also don't think it contradicts anything. This is a new timeline. X1-3 no longer happened. Mutants saved the world in X-Men: Days of Future Past, via a time traveling Wolverine. In contrast to X1, where mutants weren't known, in the new timeline, mutants have been out in the open for 20 years. What they tried to do with Apocalypse was paint mutants as a contemporary minority group, meaning the racism isn't as overt. Mutants are still, overall, looked down upon, but society isn't chasing them with pitchforks, hence the mall scene.

Yeah, the Boy George bit was great. As was Jean's retort.

18 hours ago, red snow said:

I loved Nightcrawler dancing on his tail :P

Pretty bad scene overall showing how some scenes are cut for a reason. As you say it makes no sense that everyone is cool with Nightcrawler. The scene would have been better if it ended with the reveal Jean was making everyone see him as a human which would have been a spin on the old image-inducers...

Agreed on the last bit. Also, Elf break dancin' was kinda funny, in a good way.

19 hours ago, red snow said:

Like Blackbear said, there's not much to be hated and feared by if mutants, including Nightcrawler are seen as cool and completely accepted. Surely a mallcop would approach Nightcrawler? It doesn't fit in with the time-line because irrespective of time-travel Magneto should have still scared the shit out of everyone in DOFP with his very public attack. Look at the attitude towards muslims post 9-11 and imagine how it'd be magnified if there had been a terrorist attack on the President.

Other time issues within the prequels is how no-one seems to age much despite there being a decade between each film. First class is set in 1962 and Apocalypse in 1983. They just seem to ignore that fact. Quicksilver hasn't had much growth over a decade. Then there's the general issue of I think Singer just wanted to cancel out "last stand" (understandable) but his reboot makes it hard to believe his X1 and X2 films are now "legit". Did Wolverine (the version we know from the films) only regain consciousness in "present day" - if so did he completely miss out on his life between 1973 and 200X? Maybe the Wolverine film will try and address this?

These are valid issues. I myself found the treatment of Magneto in Apocalypse very weird. And the age of the characters doesn't make any sense, if you consider that we see Scott and Jean still quite young at the end of DoFP (which takes places what, 40 years after Apocalypse?).

What I found strange in the criticism is the idea that it should lead to the same situation as X-Men 1. I don't see why.

Archived