NFL 2016: Is there a draft in here or is it just me?

Maithanet

36 minutes ago, sperry said:

Browns should be a little better than last year. RGIII is a huge upgrade over Josh McCown/Johnny Manziel.

Regardless, the Browns are in great shape.  They are likely to have two top 5 draft picks in the 2017 draft.  They can get their quarterback plus another huge impact player, as well having tons of middle round picks to play with.

I know Browns are gonna Brown, but the same used to be true of plenty of moribund organizations.

You're missing the obvious Sperry. The Eagles traded their number 1 pick to the Browns. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

No. You said the Eagles are a front runner for the number one overall pick. But they traded away their first round pick to the Browns.

Yeah that's what I meant. That's why the Browns will ahve two top 5 picks in 2017.

I'm an Eagles fan, and I'm still shaking my head on this one - uless they're gonna deal Bradford before draft day, there's no way in hell that any team want three multi-million dollar QS, since two will be on the bench. :wacko:  I really hope they're going for O-Line help, because they'll need it to keep Bradford healthy. But, I fear the next "rebuilding" season coming on...ugg.

10 minutes ago, CBeck113 said:

I'm an Eagles fan, and I'm still shaking my head on this one - uless they're gonna deal Bradford before draft day, there's no way in hell that any team want three multi-million dollar QS, since two will be on the bench. :wacko:  I really hope they're going for O-Line help, because they'll need it to keep Bradford healthy. But, I fear the next "rebuilding" season coming on...ugg.

Trading up to 2 just to get Tunsil makes even less sense than trading up for Wentz.  There are some draftniks who consider OT Staley to be just as good a prospect as Tunsil, and Staley would almost assuredly still be there at #8.  Hell, there is a good chance that Tunsil would have lasted until pick 5 or 6 anyway, and moving from 8 to 5 would only cost a 2nd rounder at most. 

It is possible the Eagles will try and trade Bradford, although at his salary I'm really not sure anybody would want him.  At the very least, you aren't going to get much, maybe a late 3rd rounder from Denver or NYJ?   

Denver doesn't want to give a third rounder for Kaep, no chance of one for Bradford.  If they didn't already have Sanchez I'd fear a trade for Bradford but I don't see them going after him even if he agreed to reduce his salery.

6 minutes ago, SkynJay said:

Denver doesn't want to give a third rounder for Kaep, no chance of one for Bradford.  If they didn't already have Sanchez I'd fear a trade for Bradford but I don't see them going after him even if he agreed to reduce his salery.

I agree, but it seems like the NFL market consistently overvalues Bradford.  Unless Philly was just bidding against themselves when they traded for him and again a year later when they gave him an extension.

Also, I wouldn't assume Bradford is willing to take a paycut.  If he and Daniels are both in Philly, they are going to be paying $29 million a year for three quarterbacks, without any of them being a proven guy.  That sucks. 

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

Also, I wouldn't assume Bradford is willing to take a paycut.  If he and Daniels are both in Philly, they are going to be paying $29 million a year for three quarterbacks, without any of them being a proven guy.  That sucks. 

Bradford already accepted a team friendly deal, when he probably could have done better on the open market. There is also no way he would have signed with the Eagles if he thought they were dumb enough to trade all their assets for a QB.  They royally fucked him and he and his agent need to get him out of that sinking ship.

2 minutes ago, sperry said:

Bradford already accepted a team friendly deal, when he probably could have done better on the open market. There is also no way he would have signed with the Eagles if he thought they were dumb enough to trade all their assets for a QB.  They royally fucked him and he and his agent need to get him out of that sinking ship.

Considering how much he's been paid for doing jack and shit in the NFL, maybe he could see his way to giving Philly a discount? It's not like he'd have a ton of options now if Chip Kelly hadn't gone to the mat for him last year.

9 minutes ago, sperry said:

I am skeptical that Bradford could have gotten a deal significantly better than what Philly was offering.  A LOT of people (including myself) thought that 2 years, $36 million, with $22 million guaranteed was very generous.

And while I'm generally pretty pro-player when it comes to these sorts of standoffs, if the Eagles want to pay Bradford $22 million dollars to be a backup, I'm not exactly crying a river.

5 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I am skeptical that Bradford could have gotten a deal significantly better than what Philly was offering.  A LOT of people (including myself) thought that 2 years, $36 million, with $22 million guaranteed was very generous.

And while I'm generally pretty pro-player when it comes to these sorts of standoffs, if the Eagles want to pay Bradford $22 million dollars to be a backup, I'm not exactly crying a river.

And then Brock Osweiler got 4 years $72 million and proved that 2 years $36 with an easy out after one year is a great deal for a decent starting QB.

As for Bradford, this year is critical for him.  He has been looking for stability and a chance to prove himself every year, and that continually gets cut out from under him through a combination of shitty personnel management and injuries. He has had a different offensive coordinator in every single season he has played in the NFL.  That is mind boggling.

He signed with Philly to get that stability, and instead upper management took their cues from the local basketball team and completely nuked the roster (except instead of stockpiling picks they liquidated all those assets to take a gamble on a kid from North Dakota State who Bradford is supposed to groom to take his job).

Again, I expect Bradford and his agent to demand a trade.

Osweiler is younger and much healthier than Bradford.  No one was going to give Bradford a 4 year deal.  The fact that Bradford got the same money per year as Osweiler is pretty generous. 

4 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Osweiler is younger and much healthier than Bradford.  No one was going to give Bradford a 4 year deal.  The fact that Bradford got the same money per year as Osweiler is pretty generous. 

There are still multiple teams that need QBs, Bradford most definitely could have leveraged that to get more than he got. Osweiler just got 4 years 72 million for 7 games of game management with one of the most loaded rosters of the last 20 years.

15 minutes ago, sperry said:

There are still multiple teams that need QBs, Bradford most definitely could have leveraged that to get more than he got. Osweiler just got 4 years 72 million for 7 games of game management with one of the most loaded rosters of the last 20 years.

And yet Fitzpatrick is still a free agent.  It would seem that the market for a mediocre starter isn't as robust as you imagine. 

18 hours ago, Trebla said:

You are likely going to get your wish because Demarcus Lawrence is going to join Randy Gregory on the 4 game suspension list. :angry2:

Personally, I prefer Ramsey's upside over Bosa but need may have to win out here. sigh.

Drafting for a 4 week need is stupid.  Draft long term. They need a pass rusher, but they also need secondary.  And the people I'm trusting have Ramsey ranked significantly higher than Bosa (at least as significant as possible at the top end of the first round).

44 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

And yet Fitzpatrick is still a free agent.  It would seem that the market for a mediocre starter isn't as robust as you imagine. 

It's strange IMO. Teams won't pay Fitz and the Broncos won't give a third for Kaep, but are willing to trade a ton of picks, including 1st rounders, to try and get two young guys a lot of people aren't that high on.

57 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Fitzpatrick will land somewhere for a solid deal, but he's also in his age 34 season.

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's strange IMO. Teams won't pay Fitz and the Broncos won't give a third for Kaep, but are willing to trade a ton of picks, including 1st rounders, to try and get two young guys a lot of people aren't that high on.

Some teams have a very different philosophy about quarterbacks than others.  And a general trend that the desire to have a top-5 quarterback leads some GMs to overvalue rookies.

2 minutes ago, sperry said:

Fitzpatrick will land somewhere for a solid deal.

He will.  But he's not going to get $18 mil per year, in spite of having a clearly superior year than Bradford in 2015. 

Fitzpatrick:  Healthy for 16 games. 31 tds, 15 ints, 3,900 yards  

Bradford:  Healthy for 14 games.  19 tds, 14 ints, 3,700 yards

Which just indicates to me that Bradford got a pretty generous deal from the Eagles.

Archived