NFL 2016: Is there a draft in here or is it just me?

Maithanet

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Saw that... between that and the Curry injury, what a bad day for the hamsters running on the wheels that power the servers here to run out of gas.

3 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

As tired as I am of this train wreck, seeing this does bring a smile to my face.

I'm saddened by it. Now we have four fewer chances to watch grown men try and get their hands on Tommy Watermelon's perfect balls. 

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

Saw that... between that and the Curry injury, what a bad day for the hamsters running on the wheels that power the servers here to run out of gas.

Blame that on last night's putrid episode. 

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

You always struck me as the type of lady who'd prefer a Belichick skin rug.

:P

I would do a lot of things with Bill Belichick, removing his skin isn't one of them... If ya know what I'm saaayan!

(Suspension is stupid)

Bradford has demanded a trade... how interesting.

So two days until the draft nor my beloved Cowboys. I've been reading the tea leaves from the national writers and then the local Dallas guys and it's interesting. There are 3 names that inevitably come up for the #4 pick and they are: DE Joey Bosa, DB Jalen Ramsey and...RB Ezekiel Elliot. The national guys mostly think it's between Bosa and Ramsey but I'd say a majority favor Ramsey. More than one person (including Cris Collinsworth) think Bosa is a max 8-10 sack guy. That's good but #4 worthy? For us Dallas fans, that's Greg Ellis production, the guy they picked in 1998 instead of selecting Randy Moss. I played devils advocate here last week on having to take Bosa since Dallas has two DE's suspended but ultimately I agree you gotta go with who you see as the better player and long term fit.

Locally in Dallas, there is more speculation that it's between Zeke Elliott and Ramsey. Elliott would probably be the one player in the draft that could come in and have the biggest impact in year one. A 3 down back who can catch and is a really good pass blocker. The question is, from an overall philosophy, should you draft a running back in the top 5? History has not been kind to those who have and even great running backs start to break down by age 28 or so. So you only get one contracts worth of high production and if you pay the 2nd contract, you often are only paying for past performance. 

An argument against Ramsey is the lack of interceptions and the fact the Cowboys just got CB Brandon Carr to take a pay cut so they now have Carr, Mo Claiborne, and a knee-rehabbing Orlando Scandrick. Picking Ramsey puts one highly paid player out of the loop though you could argue only Scandrick is really good anyway and both Claiborne and Carr are now in the last year of their deals. An idea I've read repeatedly, though, has been that the Cowboys could move last years #1 pick, Byron Jones, from safety back to corner and move Ramsey to safety for his first year and then switch them back in year 2. Or not and keep them both at corner where you potentially have two big, long, and fast corners on the outside and have a hopefully recovered Scandrick in the slot where he is among the leagues best. The more I read from scouts, the more I believe Ramsey has immense upside.

I think what I hope happens is that they draft Ramsey in the 1st, hope somebody like Clemson DE Kevin Dodd or Oklahoma State's Emmanuel Ogbah are there at the top of the 2nd round. After that, go offense in rounds 3-4. Players that might be there are: Standford's QB Kevin Hogand Miss St.'s QB Dak Prescott, running backs such as Arkansas' (Jerruh loves his alma mater) Alex Collins and Utah's Devonte Booker, and THREE receivers from Ohio State- Braxton Miller, Michael Thomas and Jalin Marshall. I'm kind of enamored by Miller who is raw but is said to have HUGE upside.

However, IF somebody wants to trade up to #4 to get OT Laremy Tunsil or even QB Paxton Lynch, I'd be in favor of trading down for more picks. Especially if you can trade down AND still get Zeke Elliott.

2 hours ago, Trebla said:

However, IF somebody wants to trade up to #4 to get OT Laremy Tunsil or even QB Paxton Lynch, I'd be in favor of trading down for more picks. Especially if you can trade down AND still get Zeke Elliott.

If someone trades up to four to try to get Lynch, they're fucking nuts.  He might be available in the second round, and the earliest he might go is around twenty.

On 4/23/2016 at 7:14 PM, briantw said:

That's because it's a lot easier for a team to talk themselves into the potential of a high-rated rookie QB than a guy whose ceiling is known.  You're not winning a Super Bowl with Ryan Fitzpatrick as your QB.  He's a band-aid at best.  He might play well enough for you to make the playoffs, but that's his ceiling.  Kaepernick has more potential, but he was absolutely awful last year to the point that he lost his job to Blaine fucking Gabbert.  He's also dumb as a box of rocks and can't read a defense to save his life.  That doesn't inspire confidence for any team that wants to run actual plays on offense.  Unless you've got a QB whisperer on your coaching staff, Kaep isn't a guy you're thrilled to have at this point.  Bradford on paper seems like a lot of what you'd want from a starting quarterback, but the guy just can't stay healthy.  

Meanwhile, you've got two rookies who have yet to play an NFL game.  If you're a GM, you can talk yourself into either of them becoming better than the options currently on the table if your team doesn't already have a QB.

I know I'm late on this.  

But PFM was worse than Fitzy at the end of this year.  Fitzy would have hurt the Bronco's less than Peyton. With a solid team, even with an atrocious QB, a team can win the superbowl.

The Broncos offense in the playoffs was a full yard per play worse than the 32nd ranked regular season offense.

5 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

I know I'm late on this.  

But PFM was worse than Fitzy at the end of this year.  Fitzy would have hurt the Bronco's less than Peyton. With a solid team, even with an atrocious QB, a team can win the superbowl.

The Broncos offense in the playoffs was a full yard per play worse than the 32nd ranked regular season offense.

Yeah, but Manning was coaching the team too, so he adds that aspect.

On 4/25/2016 at 2:03 PM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Same. I do believe he deserves some manner of personal punishment regarding this. 4 games is excessive, but no games is equally ridiculous. 

I just don't get this mentality.  If the player rules state 25k for tampering with footballs, that's what I want him to get.  (That's without science basically saying no air was removed from the balls).  Watch the full lecture from the MIT professor.  

This judgment above anything really is a failure of labor law.  I can't believe given the precedents of holding to the CBA and published rules to employees almost to a fault that the court of appeals would take this stance.  The punishment is also wildly inconsistent with prior league actions (just like the Chief's tampering punishment was this year, although to my knowledge there isn't an explicit penalty in the rulebook for that).  

I just hate the precedent this sets for what Goodell could do to my team.  Because the process around everything is pure and utter bullshit.  If this was a criminal case, we'd be talking about violation of due process rights.  But because it's the golden boy and the team most of us hate, it's all fine. 

Just imagine what this means Goodell can do to Romo, Wilson, Big Ben, Watt, Donald, Mack, or whoever your team's big star is.

2 minutes ago, briantw said:

Yeah, but Manning was coaching the team too, so he adds that aspect.

I would doubt he has that big an impact on the defense.  And like I said, about 25% worse than the worst regular season offense.  Fitz at least had the Jets contending for a large part of the year.

3 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

I would doubt he has that big an impact on the defense.  And like I said, about 25% worse than the worst regular season offense.  Fitz at least had the Jets contending for a large part of the year.

I mean, I don't think Fitzpatrick is awful or anything.  He can be, certainly, and I think he's often a liability because he tends to throw picks at the worst times.  I just think that you know Fitz's ceiling.  He's not a star quarterback in the NFL.  He's average on his best day.  And so, if you're trying to build a team, you're probably going to want to take a chance on a guy who might be more than average rather than signing a guy whose ceiling is known.  

There's a place in the NFL for average quarterbacks and always will be, but at the same time teams are always going to chase potential over known quantities when it comes to the QB position since it's the most important position in football.  It's why the Browns, for example, signed RGIII over some other guys that were available.  Maybe he never gets back to where he was at his rookie year (probably that's the case), but you can at least see the interest in a guy who lit the league on fire as a rookie.  The potential is there where it wouldn't be with a guy like Fitzpatrick.  

6 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

I just don't get this mentality.  If the player rules state 25k for tampering with footballs, that's what I want him to get.  (That's without science basically saying no air was removed from the balls).  Watch the full lecture from the MIT professor.  

This judgment above anything really is a failure of labor law.  I can't believe given the precedents of holding to the CBA and published rules to employees almost to a fault that the court of appeals would take this stance.  The punishment is also wildly inconsistent with prior league actions (just like the Chief's tampering punishment was this year, although to my knowledge there isn't an explicit penalty in the rulebook for that).  

I just hate the precedent this sets for what Goodell could do to my team.  Because the process around everything is pure and utter bullshit.  If this was a criminal case, we'd be talking about violation of due process rights.  But because it's the golden boy and the team most of us hate, it's all fine. 

Just imagine what this means Goodell can do to Romo, Wilson, Big Ben, Watt, Donald, Mack, or whoever your team's big star is.

Maybe he would've gotten a fine had he actually copped to it. I don't think the punishment here is reflective of what he did initially, but how he handled being questioned about it.

I'm not going to argue the science. Air pressure didn't force the deflater into a bathroom with two bags of balls before that game started. Nor did it send texts from Brady's phone to the equipment manager's. Pretty sure it had little or nothing to do with Tommy destroying his phone prior to his interview.

I agree with all the rest. Goodell should not be trusted with this much power. The fact that the players and the union signed off on this CBA is idiotic.

@Trebla

Zeke at 4 is too high. Your best bet imo is Ramsay at 4, and hoping you can get Derrick Henry at the top of the second (or trade up to grab him at the end of the first). This draft is supposed to be loaded on the d-line, so I wouldn't take Bosa that high. Get a value pick in the third round for DE.

Archived