NFL 2016: Is there a draft in here or is it just me?

Maithanet

4 hours ago, Maithanet said:

For the draft, here are my preferred options for Washington going into the draft.

1.  Trade back from #21 for good value.  The best hope for this is that Paxton Lynch is still there, and teams are starting to get nervous someone will jump ahead of them.  Alternatively, it looks like there will be a run on WRs with Houston, Minnesota and Cincy all needing another receiver.  Both of these are obviously not going to get some crazy draft haul, but potentially picking up an extra 3rd round pick to move back a bit would be awesome.  It seems like there are a ton of solid D line options available in the 25-40 range in this draft.

2.  DT/DE Sheldon Rankins is still available.  Caveat that I am obviously not a talent scout, but everything I've read about this guy I like.  He is powerful, active, with good hands, and is scheme diverse.  Most (but not all) mock drafts have him taken somewhere in the 12-19 range, but with all the D line talent in this draft a bit of a fall is within reason.

3.  BPA, preferably on D line.  I do not really buy the argument that we have a huge need at ILB.  We could use help there, but the bigger problem is that the D line keeps allowing free blockers to take out our linebackers. 

I am getting worryingly optimistic about the Redskins defense this year, as all the reports indicate that Galette is going to be a solid 10 sack guy, Kerrigan is healthy, and Preston Smith was coming on strong to end his rookie year last year.  Add in Josh Norman and suddenly we are one playmaker on the D line away from having a very solid squad, at least until injuries start setting in.

I'll defer to your analysis as I haven't followed the draft hype at all this year (and it's too hard to predict what a team will do at #21) and I agree with the wisdom of trading back in general and that there's a chance for this defense to be significantly improved. 

However as far as team needs go, what about safety? I swear we've had the least athletic safeties in football each of the last 5 years. And I'm not sure we've had above average safety play since Area 51 in 2007 before one got murdered and the other decided to devote all his time and effort to having sick biceps. Hell I'd kill for one who can run even a 4.6 40 and has decent instincts. 

11 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I miss the days when watching the draft meant getting fucked up and playing Super Smash Bros. on a second TV all weekend. Now it's a whole thing... and I can't get high no more. Kinda lost the appeal.

Vinny Cerrato used to approach it the exact same way. 

3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

It blew my mind when he took Diddy Kong in the 3rd round back in 2000 . 

It was obvious, even at the time, Jigglypuff had higher upside. 

1 hour ago, Jaime L said:

However as far as team needs go, what about safety? I swear we've had the least athletic safeties in football each of the last 5 years. And I'm not sure we've had above average safety play since Area 51 in 2007 before one got murdered and the other decided to devote all his time and effort to having sick biceps. Hell I'd kill for one who can run even a 4.6 40 and has decent instincts. 

We definitely need a safety.  The problem is that there aren't any safeties expected to go anywhere around #21, and I don't want to reach.  There are a couple of second round guys available on day 2. 

With our usual aplomb, the Niners have managed to turn one potential bright light...the desired un-retirement of still young All-Pro tackle Anthony Davis...into another dumpster fire. It had been smouldering for a while, with him increasingly expressing annoyance and confusion with how the team was dealing with him, but today it exploded into open flame, with Davis absolutely lambasting the organization on Twitter in an escalating series of statements. 

It began with advising them to draft an OT in the first round, then questioning their desire to win, and finally saying no one ought to rent out their body to an organization that does nothing but bullshit and manipulate it's players.

41 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

With our usual aplomb, the Niners have managed to turn one potential bright light...the desired un-retirement of still young All-Pro tackle Anthony Davis...into another dumpster fire. It had been smouldering for a while, with him increasingly expressing annoyance and confusion with how the team was dealing with him, but today it exploded into open flame, with Davis absolutely lambasting the organization on Twitter in an escalating series of statements. 

It began with advising them to draft an OT in the first round, then questioning their desire to win, and finally saying no one ought to rent out their body to an organization that does nothing but bullshit and manipulate it's players.

Yup. Fucking awesome. They can't seem to find Rock Bottom. It's really kind of extraordinary at this point. It's almost like they crashed the plane, and then called in an airstrike on the wreckage. Bang up job from top to bottom. 

On April 26, 2016 at 3:12 PM, JonSnow4President said:

I just don't get this mentality.  If the player rules state 25k for tampering with footballs, that's what I want him to get.  (That's without science basically saying no air was removed from the balls).  Watch the full lecture from the MIT professor.  

This judgment above anything really is a failure of labor law.  I can't believe given the precedents of holding to the CBA and published rules to employees almost to a fault that the court of appeals would take this stance.  The punishment is also wildly inconsistent with prior league actions (just like the Chief's tampering punishment was this year, although to my knowledge there isn't an explicit penalty in the rulebook for that).  

I just hate the precedent this sets for what Goodell could do to my team.  Because the process around everything is pure and utter bullshit.  If this was a criminal case, we'd be talking about violation of due process rights.  But because it's the golden boy and the team most of us hate, it's all fine. 

Just imagine what this means Goodell can do to Romo, Wilson, Big Ben, Watt, Donald, Mack, or whoever your team's big star is.

Its really very simple....Goodell's a giant steaming pile of human excrement.....period!!!

And i'm not even a Brady supporter.

2 minutes ago, sperry said:

Eagles apparently refusing to trade Bradford.  Fans of the organization should be extremely pleased to see management cutting off their nose to spite the face. What a dumpster fire.

I wonder if 49ers and Eagles fans would consent to trade their management groups for each other? As a part-time 49ers fan, I think I'd be willing to roll the dice with Eagles ownership rather than continue to be Jed York's school project.

12 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I wonder if 49ers and Eagles fans would consent to trade their management groups for each other? As a part-time 49ers fan, I think I'd be willing to roll the dice with Eagles ownership rather than continue to be Jed York's school project.

They really are both impressive. Any time you make the Browns look good you should reconsider your life choices.

16 minutes ago, sperry said:

They really are both impressive. Any time you make the Browns look good you should reconsider your life choices.

Ha! Neither the Eagles or 49'ers have SASHI!!! running their team at the moment. Let's see the night play out before giving out the awards.

36 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Ha! Neither the Eagles or 49'ers have SASHI!!! running their team at the moment. Let's see the night play out before giving out the awards.

Sashi is at least a Harvard educated lawyer.  The Eagles lawyer who runs their football operations went to Fordham and has already been fired once for being incompetent, except he kept his job in a completely nonfunctional role, and then got the job back when they booted Kelly.

And now it's all starting to make sense why the Eagles couldn't understand that Bradford wasn't going to be pleased with being made a lame duck.  Howie Roseman must have thought "I was a lame duck GM, and look at me now, I'm kickass"

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15421505/ryan-fitzpatrick-sit-new-york-jets-budge

Interesting. If this is the case I don't get why a team like Denver doesn't swoop in and offer him something better. That contract is actually kind of insulting given the year he had. But man, how much money did he cost himself with that awful week 17 meltdown....

So I got the morning off work tomorrow. Full hypocrite mode, I guess I'mma mix a few drinks and watch the draft. Who's down for a party?

Tywin, yeah I'm hurt and confused by Elway's refusal to sign Fitzy. I've defended him for years and I think he gets too little credit for the Jets being good last year. That defense was way overrated.

6 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

So I got the morning off work tomorrow. Full hypocrite mode, I guess I'mma mix a few drinks and watch the draft. Who's down for a party?

Tywin, yeah I'm hurt and confused by Elway's refusal to sign Fitzy. I've defended him for years and I think he gets too little credit for the Jets being good last year. That defense was way overrated.

Haha. My lone goal tonight is to just stick to beer. 

And yeah I have to agree. I think something in the $10-12 million a year range is a fair offer for him. I'm surprised the Jets are low balling him that much. Maybe he's better off sitting out part of the season and waiting for a playoff bound team's QB to go down and getting a quick pay day. 

Also, I don't see what the Jet's are accomplishing here. With Brady out for 4 games they have a real shot to win the division. They're much better off going into next year with Fitz than they are with some rookie QB or some lesser journeyman QB.

Also also, @DanteGabriel, losing Brady for 4 games isn't the end of the world. He'll be rested, motivated and you can figure out if Jimmy Unspellablelastname is any good. And you can also figure out if Brady is still amazing or if the TE cheat code is just propping up an aging star. 

Also also also, does anyone have any interesting predictions for tonight? Since this draft looks kinda boring it would be fun if a few teams did some nutty things. I'm gonna go all in and hope that the Eagles don't pick a QB, thus making one of the worst draft trades ever.

Also also also also, next years draft will be in Philly, and they won't have a first rounder. 32 young men better be prepared for the booing of their lifetime.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Haha. My lone goal tonight is to just stick to beer. 

And yeah I have to agree. I think something in the $10-12 million a year range is a fair offer for him. I'm surprised the Jets are low balling him that much. Maybe he's better off sitting out part of the season and waiting for a playoff bound team's QB to go down and getting a quick pay day. 

Also, I don't see what the Jet's are accomplishing here. With Brady out for 4 games they have a real shot to win the division. They're much better off going into next year with Fitz than they are with some rookie QB or some lesser journeyman QB.

Also also, @DanteGabriel, losing Brady for 4 games isn't the end of the world. He'll be rested, motivated and you can figure out if Jimmy Unspellablelastname is any good. And you can also figure out if Brady is still amazing or if the TE cheat code is just propping up an aging star. 

Also also also, does anyone have any interesting predictions for tonight? Since this draft looks kinda boring it would be fun if a few teams did some nutty things. I'm gonna go all in and hope that the Eagles don't pick a QB, thus making one of the worst draft trades ever.

Also also also also, next years draft will be in Philly, and they won't have a first rounder. 32 young men better be prepared for the booing of their lifetime.

It's also 3 home games.  The road game against the Cardinals looks bad without Brady, but home against the Dolphins, Texans, and Bills isn't that bad.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Of course it isn't the end of the world. If Janeane Garofalo is halfway competent, there's a decent chance they come out of that stretch 3-1. The botched sting, the obvious railroading, and the genesis of this whole thing with Indy and Baltimore and their collusion with a former Jets exec in the NFL operations office are what really keep me pissed off about this.

In retrospect, if he's going to lose the 4 games, maybe it shoulda been last year, so we'd have the handy "Brady got suspended" excuse to explain how the Pats pissed away home field advantage in the final weeks of the season.

Archived