NFL 2016: Is there a draft in here or is it just me?

Maithanet

Bengals took William Jackson III. Some say he's the best pure corner in the draft, some say the 2nd best. Great ball skills, 4.35 speed and able to play zone/man, not to mention a 6'1 frame. Clearly the best player still available at the time we picked and also fucked the Steelers who ended up reaching for a CB. All in all, good pick.

But it's another fucking cornerback and I'm so tired of taking players in the first round that does not immediately improve our starting line up. Jackson is still behind Jones, Kirkpatrick, Dennard and maybe Shaw so unless there is an injury (likely), he won't play all that much this year. This does spell the end for Kirkpatrick though since I can't see the Bengals giving him a CB contract after drafting his replacement. I'm ok with replacing him with a cheaper, better prospect. 

Today will make or break our draft. We need a WR and we need a DL. Anything less (other than center) will be a disaster.

On a side note, fuck Zimmer, Gruden and Jackson. They took all 3 WRs the Bengals would have taken with the 24th pick.

I am happy with Dallas taking Elliot, who cares it's at 4 overall if he is what they want and is as productive as they believe he can be. Once Bosa was gone it was clear that Elliot was the only pick that made sense. Ramsey seems to not have the killer instinct that is needed so I don't mind them passing on him.

Now, round 2 get a DL, there are still three good ones available.

Round 3 Prescott or Hackenburg?

11 minutes ago, Mexal said:

On a side note, fuck Zimmer, Gruden and Jackson. They took all 3 WRs the Bengals would have taken with the 24th pick.

If it makes you feel any better, Gruden is definitely not the one making the decisions on personnel here. 

Just now, Maithanet said:

If it makes you feel any better, Gruden is definitely not the one making the decisions on personnel here. 

Oh I know. Zimmer isn't making the decisions in Minnesota either. But they have input I'm sure and it's just crazy that the three WRs that the Bengals would have picked were all picked by teams with HCs formerly from the Bengals.

31 minutes ago, Mexal said:

18 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Oh I know. Zimmer isn't making the decisions in Minnesota either. But they have input I'm sure and it's just crazy that the three WRs that the Bengals would have picked were all picked by teams with HCs formerly from the Bengals.

The fruit of your coaching tree has turned sour! :P

Pretty excited about the Colts picking a Center instead of something stupid. I've heard good things about the kid and am looking forward to researching him with my new internet phone while I'm supposed to be working.

15 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Of course it isn't the end of the world. If Janeane Garofalo is halfway competent, there's a decent chance they come out of that stretch 3-1. The botched sting, the obvious railroading, and the genesis of this whole thing with Indy and Baltimore and their collusion with a former Jets exec in the NFL operations office are what really keep me pissed off about this.

In retrospect, if he's going to lose the 4 games, maybe it shoulda been last year, so we'd have the handy "Brady got suspended" excuse to explain how the Pats pissed away home field advantage in the final weeks of the season.

I get that. They did get hosed. I think a max fine for Brady and the organization plus a 1 game suspension or losing a mid round draft pick would have been fair.

I'm loving the Vikings pick. He's who I wanted. Sorry Mexal :P

Cowboys fans should be happy with the Zeke pick. Ramsey may end up being the better player, but taking Zeke was a total win now move.

And IMO the Cardinals won the draft. 

16 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Pretty excited about the Colts picking a Center instead of something stupid. I've heard good things about the kid and am looking forward to researching him with my new internet phone while I'm supposed to be working.

You should be thrilled. Kelly is an incredible football player and will instantly make your OL better for Luck. I'm jealous.

10 hours ago, Trebla said:

Cripes...I went away from the computer awhile and was only half watching the draft and ANOTHER BAD story about Laramey Tunsil appeared. 

Tunsil was asked whether he took money while he was in school at a press conference Thursday.

At this rate, they are going to find bodies in his freezer by the time Carolina picks.

Just shows the ingrained professional mindset of our newest Dolphin.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

I am happy with Dallas taking Elliot, who cares it's at 4 overall if he is what they want and is as productive as they believe he can be. Once Bosa was gone it was clear that Elliot was the only pick that made sense. Ramsey seems to not have the killer instinct that is needed so I don't mind them passing on him.

Now, round 2 get a DL, there are still three good ones available.

Round 3 Prescott or Hackenburg?

I am all on board the Prescott train. 

46 minutes ago, Mexal said:

You should be thrilled. Kelly is an incredible football player and will instantly make your OL better for Luck. I'm jealous.

:) I is! I can't find anything about him though. I think that a center is not getting as much attention as all the trades and Tunsils.

1 hour ago, Howdyphillip said:

I think I am as well. I have seen Hackenberg for a couple games against Michigan and he seems pouty and whiney when it's not going his way. Never know what that means and what type of pro someone will be but in the third round I am ok with taking a chance on either.

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Here:

18. Indianapolis: Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes. The Colts needed this. Bad. Kelly can play center and both guard positions, but unfortunately not all at once. The Colts still need two more interior offensive linemen. But they’ve taken an outstanding first step. Kelly is smart and his fundamentals were revered by Alabama defensive players who faced him everyday in practice. What killed Andrew Luck last season were long stunts from defenses. Teams would have their blitzers or, more often, their defensive ends loop across the line and up the middle, exploiting the lack of awareness and lateral agility from Indy’s interior blockers. Finding a center can potentially fix that. Only potentially, though. Help is still needed at guard.

Seems like he would be useful to you when Belichick tries the A-gap blitzes with Hightower and Collins that have worked pretty well in the last couple of years. My reaction to the Colts picking up a center was one of dismay.

1 hour ago, Howdyphillip said:

Having watched Prescott play a lot over his career, his only major weakness is the deep ball. Anything past 20-25 yards and his accuracy suffers. He draws Tebow comparisons which I don't really think are fair as he appears much more polished as a short/intermediate passer than Tebow ever did. Apart from that, he seems to be a strong character kid who will work hard to get better. I think he'll turn out to be no worse than a strong NFL backup. 

Regarding Tunsil - SB Nation posted a nice opinion piece on the whole situation this morning. It pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter.

The Tunsil thing that cracks me up the most is that the Ravens, they of accessory to murder Ray Lewis and woman beater Ray Rice were so appalled of a guy ripping a bong hit off a gas mask (had one in college it was tits) that they took him off their board entirely. What a crock of shit. Way to take the high road...

You know, as much as I agree with most of the sentiment expressed in the SB Nation article (I think weed should be legal, and it is kind of uniquely beneficial to football players) the usage of it still kind of sets off an alarm bell for me, at least in terms of an early first round draft pick goes. These teams are investing a lot of money and hope into these players. When you consider how much money you stand to make as one of these elite players, I'm not sure how you justify engaging in behavior that might directly threaten your livelihood. I think it shows a potential lack of intelligence and commitment. 

I agree that these rules should and probably will change, but I don't think teams can afford to ignore this particular red flag.

/On top of all that, Tunsil screams douchebag to me, at least in terms of appearance.  

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

Here:

Seems like he would be useful to you when Belichick tries the A-gap blitzes with Hightower and Collins that have worked pretty well in the last couple of years. My reaction to the Colts picking up a center was one of dismay.

Thanks for that link. I'm pretty exited too, not since Jeff Saturday has the team had an interior lineman who doesn't get confused when an opponent looks at him.

Archived