Anyone else think GRRM initially had a bigger role in mind for House Redwyne?

Good Guy Garlan

Just a thought I had rereading aGoT. There are quite a bit of Redwyne mentions. For example, Viserys mentions them along with the Tyrells and Greyjoys (and Darrys, to be fair) when he lists the likely Targ loyalists (LOL, poor summer child). Littlefinger also brings them up when he lists all the Houses likely to rise up against Stannis. There are also multiple mentions of their sigil at the tourney, the Redwyne twins come up a lot, Hoster and the Blackfish talk about Bethany (?) Redwyne, etc. 

All in all I got the idea that maybe the Redwynes were supposed to be bigger players in the original draft, but for whatever reason they were delegated to top Tyrell henchmen in the final version. Granted, they gave us the invaluable precious stone that is Olenna, but not much else. 

Any thoughts?

They seem to have a lot of strenght for a non-major house. One of the strongest economies (thanks to wine exportation) and a very powerful navy, probably the strongest in Westeros (even than the Greyjoy).

So, yeah, they have a lot of power and proeminance. Paxter Redwyne is probably the most influent non-major Lord in Westeros, more powerful even than the likes of Roose Bolton, Walder Frey and I believe even the Hightowers. 

But they yet haven't made any significant move on the story. We still need to see how their siege at Dragonstone really happened and if they will be able to counter attack the Greyjoys

7 minutes ago, King Edd of House Tollet said:

They seem to have a lot of strenght for a non-major house. One of the strongest economies (thanks to wine exportation) and a very powerful navy, probably the strongest in Westeros (even than the Greyjoy).

So, yeah, they have a lot of power and proeminance. Paxter Redwyne is probably the most influent non-major Lord in Westeros, more powerful even than the likes of Roose Bolton, Walder Frey and I believe even the Hightowers. 

But they yet haven't made any significant move on the story. We still need to see how their siege at Dragonstone really happened and if they will be able to counter attack the Greyjoys

Agreed, they're probably the most powerful non-Paramount House, perhaps only second to the Hightowers. But in terms of characters and family dynamics they've hardly been developed (not that I want more clutter in this series, though). 

But yeah, I'm really curious about their whole campaign against the Ironborn. Oh, and technically, they're the most likely to survive an Other apocalypse, since I'm assuming they left someone in charge of Dragonstone and the obsidian mines, after Loras' injury. 

54 minutes ago, King Edd of House Tollet said:

They are a major house. They rule the Arbor and have the largest fleet aside from the Ironborn 

43 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

Agreed, they're probably the most powerful non-Paramount House, perhaps only second to the Hightowers. But in terms of characters and family dynamics they've hardly been developed (not that I want more clutter in this series, though). 

But yeah, I'm really curious about their whole campaign against the Ironborn. Oh, and technically, they're the most likely to survive an Other apocalypse, since I'm assuming they left someone in charge of Dragonstone and the obsidian mines, after Loras' injury. 

It seems the others may have trouble with water crossings. How else would the wall be effective?  Being the southernmost island in Westeros that is also great for growing crops would give Paxter & Co  a major refuge during the long night 

I think they may have an important role yet...

As you noted Viserys mentions them among the houses that might rise up... Darry were true Targ loyalists, Greyjoys Revolted, Tyrells seized Storms End and seemed loyal. But the Redwyns? Well they are famous for wine and their ships.

Given the Narrow sea will likely need some crossing, this could be important in helping... 

Mine more tidbit... They're colors are burgundy and gold... In fact, besides one Braavo met by Arya, and A Tokar worn by Hizdar, it seems like burgundy is really only used in association with the Redwyns, especially early in the series... Think Horror and Slobber...

Then when Tyrion flees to Illyrio's Manse...

As he bathed, the girl washed his feet, scrubbed his back, and brushed his hair. Afterward she rubbed sweet-smelling ointment into his calves to ease the aches, and dressed him once again in boy's clothing, a musty pair of burgundy breeches and a blue velvet doublet lined with cloth-of-gold. "Will my lord want me after he has eaten?" she asked as she was lacing up his boots.

Now it's just a color... But why does Illyrio have children's cloths? does it have to do with raising Aegon? But why would they be in Redwyn colors? 

Also, just worth remembering...

"You are a child, Jaime. Redwyne is Tyrell's bannerman, and nephew to that hideous grandmother of his. I want none of Lord Tyrell's creatures on my council."

Just food for thought

I think they are emphasized in the first book largely because Hobber and Horas were in King's Landing.  It gives a frame of reference when, for example, Viserys is listing Houses or LIttlefinger is listing potential allies that the reader can call back to.  Of course, George's choice to place them there in the first place could indicate he had some plans for the Redwynes, twins or otherwise, that were latter abandoned or pared down, sure.

Mebbe. I'm sure the saga, the first book especially, is full of, let's call them contingency characters, for maybe possibly be used in the future. Is there, say, any point to Jalabhar Xho, for example? So far, none. But he's there. There'd been some sellsword captain, who betrayed Tywin Lannister just after Robb Stark scored for the first time; the turncloak is never mentioned after Lord Tywin's war council in AGOT. GRRM seemed to have an idea for him, only to totally forget about it. Seems as if some guns just hang there, never to be fired.

For the Redwynes, there's at least the existence of the huge Redwyne fleet, which in itself mandates a token Redwyne presence on the pages of the books.

11 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

Just a thought I had rereading aGoT. There are quite a bit of Redwyne mentions. For example, Viserys mentions them along with the Tyrells and Greyjoys (and Darrys, to be fair) when he lists the likely Targ loyalists (LOL, poor summer child). Littlefinger also brings them up when he lists all the Houses likely to rise up against Stannis. There are also multiple mentions of their sigil at the tourney, the Redwyne twins come up a lot, Hoster and the Blackfish talk about Bethany (?) Redwyne, etc. 

All in all I got the idea that maybe the Redwynes were supposed to be bigger players in the original draft, but for whatever reason they were delegated to top Tyrell henchmen in the final version. Granted, they gave us the invaluable precious stone that is Olenna, but not much else. 

Any thoughts?

I am slowly going through a re-listen of the books and I did notice the Redwyne name mentioned more times than I remembered in AGOT. 

It's odd, though, that someone like Varys got the association wrong. This makes me wonder. 

Maybe they will be like the Reeds and will sprout up when needed at the last minute. 

Isn't red wine a symbol for betrayal, or deception or something? 

IIRC, GRRM mentioned something about Olenna's backstory that we are going to learn - it is very interesting that Olenna claims that she refused a Targ prince, when it was him who broke the betrothal. This was speculated even before the World Book, and it makes her sound like sour grapes :-)

Now, if Olenna's act is indeed just sour grapes, there is Barristan's intriguing quote:

All three of the sons of the fifth Aegon had wed for love, in defiance of their father’s wishes. And because that unlikely monarch had himself followed his heart when he chose his queen, he allowed his sons to have their way, making bitter enemies where he might have had fast friends. Treason and turmoil followed, as night follows day, ending at Summerhall in sorcery, fire, and grief.

Daeron didn't marry anyone but still, a broken betrothal might have made Redwyns those bitter enemies, and we still don't know what exactly happened at Summerhall.

I think they are yet to play the important role he has in mind for them, I wonder if they along with Aurane Waters  become somebody's transport from Essos, I think they and they're naval strength is mentioned two many times not to be really important somehow. 

I think the Tyrell bannermen will play an increasingly important role in the next books. Names like Tarly, Redwyne and Hightower. The point with the Reach is that some of the Tyrell bannermen are pretty powerful/rich themselves, Redwyne's included. As the Lannisters are a sinking ship, we will see where they will point their allegiance and which house is Aegon's friends from the Reach.

Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if the Tyrells lose their position as rulling house of the Reach.

Redwynes in the Tourneys: Most, if not all tourney scenes are foreshadowing scenes imo of future conflicts with the jousters and horses as stand ins of the true characters impacted by the future events. The Redwynes are Olenna's grandchildren, just as much as Margaery, Loras and Garlan are. In that way the are stand ins regarding conflict with the crown (against kingsguard, etc).

Jory, Alyn, and Harwin rode for Winterfell and the north. “Jory looks a beggar among these others,” Septa Mordane sniffed when he appeared. Sansa could only agree. Jory’s armor was blue-grey plate without device or ornament, and a thin grey cloak hung from his shoulders like a soiled rag. Yet he acquitted himself well, unhorsing Horas Redwyne in his first joust and one of the Freys in his second. In his third match, he rode three passes at a freerider named Lothor Brune whose armor was as drab as his own. Neither man lost his seat, but Brune’s lance was steadier and his blows better placed, and the king gave him the victory. Alyn and Harwin fared less well; Harwin was unhorsed in his first tilt by Ser Meryn of the Kingsguard, while Alyn fell to Ser Balon Swann. (aGoT, Sansa II)

Notice Jory’s colors and description of his clothing. Like Loras’ grey mare and blue forget-me-nots cape in Ned’s Tourney chapter, we have the Stark grey and the blue of the Winterfell glass garden roses. Most likely, Jory symbolizes House Stark in general. The cloak appears soiled,  the rag of a beggar. House Stark gets beggared when their seat is taken, sacked and burned. Its name gets dragged through the mud with Eddard Stark declared a traitor, Sansa an accomplice in the murder of Joffrey, Robb a sorcerer who could change into a wolf, and  Jon Snow a traitor to the Night’s Watch.

Jory jousts three knights of three different regions, and the third joust includes three rides – this is the “everything comes in threes” motif. At the very least George used it as a symbol-marker to highlight the paragraph as significant. With number three we are also reminded of the saying, “third time is the lucky charm”. But here it is reversed – Jory wins twice, but he loses the third joust though Jory is never unhorsed. Lothor gets awarded the win for style-reasons. This reversal suggests that we should look at the adversaries trying to win something from House Stark. What does Sansa learn that other houses hope to win from House Stark? The wardenship of the North and the Stark seat of Winterfell. And what is a recurring theme in Sansa’s arc? Betrothals and marriages.

• The Tyrells intend to betroth their heir Willas Tyrell to Sansa Stark, but fail at it. Sansa herself sabotages the betrothal unwittingly when she informs her Dontos-Florian about it. Dontos passes the knowledge on to Littlefinger so it gets back to Tywin who then thwarts the Tyrells by marrying Sansa to Tyrion.
  • House Frey attempts to get a Queen of the North out of it through a marriage with Robb Stark. But Robb ends up marrying Jeyne Westerling instead.

In a way, House Stark itself sabotaged the Tyrells and Freys from gaining their seat. We see this possibly reflected in Jory Cassel unhorsing a Redwyne and a Frey. House Frey is a direct obvious link, but what about Redwyne? Well, the mastermind behind the plan to betroth Sansa to Willas was Olenna Redwyne, the Queen of Thorns. In fact, Horas and Hobber Redwyne are Olenna’s twin grandsons – their mother Mina Tyrell, Olenna’s eldest daughter, married Olenna’s nephew Lord Paxter Redwyne.

With that out of the way, we now have to figure out Jory’s joust against Lothor Brune. Jory and Lothor have a go at it thrice, never harming each other, though in the end the king awards the win to Lothor. There are other attempts to acquire the North.

• The crown and the Lannisters wed Sansa to Tyrion. But Tyrion never beds her – grounds for an annullment. On top of that, Tyrion is condemned for the murder of Joffrey and Sansa his accomplice. Both are on the run, with Sansa pretending to be Littlefinger’s bastard Alayne Stone. The crown’s failed attempt to gain Winterfell in this manner sounds like a pass.
  • The Boltons do get awarded the wardenship, but set-up a sham marriage to a fake Arya (Jeyne Poole) to convince the rest of the North of their claim on Winterfell. Theon helps Jeyne Poole escape, and is there anyone who believes the Boltons will remain warden for long? This claim-through-marriage attemp sounds like another pass.
  • When Sansa arrives at the Vale, Lysa wishes to wed Sweetrobin to Sansa. But when she wants to murder Sansa, Littlefinger pushes Lysa out of the Moon Door. Lysa’s marriage plans for Sansa are stored away indifenitely. This is another pass.
  • Littlefinger has his own mercenary marriage plans for Sansa.

None of these plans fail through the direct actions of that involved Stark, hence Jory does not unhorse Lothor, but by the actions of others, and Lothor fails at actually unseating Jory (House Stark). Lothor Brune is a distant cousin of the knightly House Brune of Brownhollow in the Crownlands, in the loyal service of Petyr Baelish, and Captain of the Guards at the Eyrie after Littlefinger’s marriage to Lysa. So, Lothor symbolizes the plans by the Crown, Lysa of the Eyrie and Littlefinger.

When the king gives the win to Lothor and not Jory he grants the wardenship of the North and Winterfell to someone not Stark. King Tommen awards the wardenship and Winterfell to House Bolton.

Alyn and Harwin fared less well; Harwin was unhorsed in his first tilt by Ser Meryn of the Kingsguard, while Alyn fell to Ser Balon Swann.

More losses for House Stark, or is it? I will show in another tourney scene how Balon Swann may be a stand-in for Jon Snow. 

The Redwynes, Balon Swann and Lothor all joust again in Joffrey's nameday tourney. With Joffrey and Sandor commenting from the sideline, and Tommen actually shown to have a go against the "strawman" (and getting his butt kicked), the scenes of that tourney imo telegraph post-Joffrey events, and mostly events during Tommen's as king. King Tommen’s reign is a time where Cersei engages in a power struggle with the Tyrells. Earlier on I already established that kingsguards in the jousts can be stand-ins for the Crown, while the Redwyne twins are in fact Olenna’s grandchildren as much as Loras and Margaery are. The Redwyne twins therefore can be stand-ins for Olenna or her Tyrell grandchildren. And, the first joust on Joffrey’s nameday is between Meryn Trant and Hobber Redwyne.

Ser Meryn entered from the west side of the yard, clad in gleaming white plate chased with gold and mounted on a milk-white charger with a flowing grey mane. His cloak streamed behind him like a field of snow. He carried a twelve-foot lance.
“Ser Hobber of House Redwyne, of the Arbor,” the herald sang. Ser Hobber trotted in from the east, riding a black stallion caparisoned in burgundy and blue. His lance was striped in the same colors, and his shield bore the grape cluster sigil of his House. The Redwyne twins were the queen’s unwilling guests, even as Sansa was. She wondered whose notion it had been for them to ride in Joffrey’s tourney. Not their own, she thought.

Meryn is the merciless kingsguard, the one whose eyes are dead. He portrays Cersei’s cruelty. Whereas Hobber Redwyne is an unwilling guest, a hostage, a captive by then. Margaery and her cousins as well as Hobber end up being accused of a sexual scandal by Cersei via the High Sparrow of the Faith. Margaery, her cousins and friends (children and young men) all end up in the dungeons. By using the High Sparrow, Cersei pretends to be innocent of framing them. Meanwhile the reputation of Tommen’s queen and her cousins is tarnished, blackened. Yes, the Tyrells look out for themselves, lobbying for posts on the small council, attempting to wed Sansa to a Tyrell. But that is not an abnormal tugging at the power blanket. It is not meant to be a coup. Cersei’s scheme to alienate the Tyrells is something she pushes on the Tyrells. She forces the Tyrells into political opposition, which was not a notion that originated from them.

At a signal from the master of revels, the combatants couched their lances and put their spurs to their mounts. There were shouts from the watching guardsmen and the lords and ladies in the gallery. The knights came together in the center of the yard with a great shock of wood and steel. The white lance and the striped one exploded in splinters within a second of each other. Hobber Redwyne reeled at the impact, yet somehow managed to keep his seat. Wheeling their horses about at the far end of the lists, the knights tossed down their broken lances and accepted replacements from the squires. Ser Horas Redwyne, Ser Hobber’s twin, shouted encouragement to his brother.

So, within the Red Keep’s walls the Lannister-Tyrell alliance explodes, is splintered. Cersei’s scheme, the arrest of both queens by the High Sparrow, and the scandal are shocking. Queen Margaery’s hold on her position is reeling, but she will manage to keep her seat the first round at least. Queen Cersei herself gets into difficulty and is forced to do a Walk of Shame. All sorts of people are replaced on the council. Kevan becomes regent. Mace Tyrell becomes the Hand.

But on their second pass Ser Meryn swung the point of his lance to strike Ser Hobber in the chest, driving him from the saddle to crash resoundingly to the earth. Ser Horas cursed and ran out to help his battered brother from the field.

Cersei however will manage to strike a second blow to the Tyrells, right in the heart of the family, their power and unseat them. Margaery is much loved by Olenna. Cersei will win her trial and be proclaimed milky-white innocent of the charges against her, while Margaery will lose her trial. The Tyrells lose their grip on the throne. They will gain military support though to get as many brothers and sisters out of King’s Landing.

“Next came Ser Horas Redwyne’s turn. He fared better than his twin, vanquishing an elderly knight whose mount was bedecked with silver griffins against a striped blue-and-white field. Splendid as he looked, the old man made a poor contest of it. Joffrey curled his lip. “This is a feeble show.”
“I warned you,” said the Hound. “Gnats.”

And then we get a foreshadowing of the Tyrells versus none other than Jon Connington, and older knight who looks splendid and his sigil sports griffins of House Connington of Griffin’s roost. He used to be red-haired, but is now greying, so he may be regarded as a “silver griffin”. When he pretended to be Aegon’s father at the Rhoyne he went by the name “griff” and had his hair dyed blue. And of course, Aegon went by the nickname "Young Griff" and with his silver hair he could be called a "silver griffin". And instead of referring to an older man, such as JonCon, the age of the "Silver Griffin" may hint to Aegon's claim being an "old claim". So, either this foreshadows a direct military confrontation between the Tyrells and Jon Connington and Aegon, or it is more a political disagreement.

It is noteworthy that George uses the word ‘turn’ in relation to the Redwynes. It might suggest that the Tyrells and Redwynes make a political ‘turn’. That would not be much of a surprise, if Margaery is set aside and Cersei drives off the Tyrells from power. The Tyrells may very well propose Aegon they will back him if he takes Margaery as his queen. For the moment Aegon has favored Jon Connington’s advice, but also shows being influenced by the younger generation. After landing in the Stormlands, Aegon has become less biddable. With all the references to Jon Connington being an elderly knight, the greying and so on, it might refer to a choice by Aegon in favor of a Tyrell proposal that Jon Connington heartily disagrees with. For example, he wishes to keep Aegon unbetrothed and unmarried, in case Daenerys decides to come to Westeros, as well as keep positions open in Aegon’s kingsguard. Jon Connington may have learned a thing or two of Tywin’s ruthlesness in battle, but does he have Olenna’s cunning?

Extra: Why Balon Swann seems to be a stand-in for Jon Snow

Another gnat-joust is between Balon Swann and Morros Slynt. During the joust, Balon Swann is not yet Kingsguard but merely a knight of the Stormlands who remained in King’s Landing after the Hand’s Tourney. House Swann fights on both sides of the war  – Balon Swann becomes kingsguard, but his brother Donnel Swann fights for Stannis at the Battle of the Blackwater. Meanwhile Ravella Swann aids the Brotherhood without Banners in the Riverlands, for she is Lady Smallwood of Acorn Hall. Lord Gulian Swann himself takes no part in the wars, though he is one of the few lords who receives Davos Seaworth (speaking for Stannis) and extends him guest right. Stonehelm is a castle in the Stormlands that lies in the outskirts of the Dornish Marches, called the Red Watch.

“Ser Balon Swann, of Stonehelm in the Red Watch,” came the herald’s cry. Wide white wings ornamented Ser Balon’s greathelm, and black and white swans fought on his shield.

With the members of House Swann covering and backing several military factions all at once, but the Lord himself refusing to take part and choose a side, as well as a Watch reference, clearly Ser Balon Swann must be a stand-in for the Night’s Watch and Jon Snow in particular. Even the sigil of House Swann expresses neutrality in its own way – a black and white swan opposing each other, over a white and black field respectively. Jon writes a paper-shield letter to Cersei to affirm the neutrality of the Night’s Watch, even though he guested Stannis at Castle Black. George regularly uses the color "red" to highlight someone or something, to say "pay attention". The word red serves like a marker, and here it is combined with "Watch".

Balon is also one of the few knights of the Kingsguard portrayed who may have his personal opinions (such as joking that four glasses are needed when asked to raise a glass “to the health of the King”), but remains honorable. He is one of the few honest witnesses during Tyrion’s trial – he recounts seeing Tyrion slapping Joffrey after the riot they barely escaped, but praises Tyrion for his courage and says he does not believe Tyrion killed Joffrey. Balon is an honorable man who keeps to his vows, without compromising his ideals or personal opinions. He is somewhat the Jon Snow of the Kingsguard.

I will not go too much in detail on this anymore, but Balon Swann beats Moros Slynt, who wear black with golden lettering, while of course Slynt is sent to the Noght's Watch to take the black and writes treasonous letters to Cersei (gold Lannister).

Note: I'm not claiming that George had every future event worked out into detail. I think he did wish to telegraph the fall of House Stark and organically wrote in characters, which he later gave enough details on to fit the more detailed actual events and ties, as well as added details, bloodties and choices that matched with his telegraphed conflicts in the jousts.

So, when it comes to Redwynes and tourneys I don't think they are evidence so much of House Redwyne's overall importance (except for Olenna), but are stand-ins for Hosue Tyrell's importance without making it too obvious.

I predict that Olenna Redwyne will return to the action, so some of the early emphasis on Redwyne characters was probably not a sign that GRRM changed his plans, but just something he hasn't yet circled back to tie into the plot. (I am really stuck on wordplay lately, and I can't help but think there is something going on with Queen of Thorns and the North - maybe the plot to marry Willas to Sansa is all there is to it.) That whole west and Reach side of the Seven Kingdoms seems likely to play a bigger role as we see the Citadel in TWoW. I think we haven't seen the last of the Westerlings. We are bound to see some Hightower presence enter the story, I suspect. And I think Stannis's wife / widow, Selyse Florent, is going to turn into a bat out of hell. (She may remain in the north or come back to her family seat to wreak her vengeance.) So the Redwynes and Tyrells could be logical players if there are scenes played out in those areas.

Even without Olenna's presence, though, red wine is so important as a symbol of blood, the red fork of the Trident River and as an attribute of Tyrion (aside from his drinking, he has wine thrown at him by Penny, he is drenched in it by Joffrey, and he "hatches" from a wine barrel when he arrives in Essos). sweetsunray points out that GRRM uses the color red as a "red flag" to draw our attention to things. So we might figure out additional hidden messages in the Redwyne family by looking at the way GRRM refers to literal red wine in the books.

14 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

Redwynes in the Tourneys: Most, if not all tourney scenes are foreshadowing scenes imo of future conflicts with the jousters and horses as stand ins of the true characters impacted by the future events. The Redwynes are Olenna's grandchildren, just as much as Margaery, Loras and Garlan are. In that way the are stand ins regarding conflict with the crown (against kingsguard, etc).

Jory jousts three knights of three different regions, and the third joust includes three rides – ...

we now have to figure out Jory’s joust against Lothor Brune. Jory and Lothor have a go at it thrice, never harming each other, though in the end the king awards the win to Lothor.

When the king gives the win to Lothor and not Jory he grants the wardenship of the North and Winterfell to someone not Stark. King Tommen awards the wardenship and Winterfell to House Bolton.

Meryn is the merciless kingsguard, the one whose eyes are dead.

Extra: Why Balon Swann seems to be a stand-in for Jon Snow

With the members of House Swann covering and backing several military factions all at once, but the Lord himself refusing to take part and choose a side, as well as a Watch reference, clearly Ser Balon Swann must be a stand-in for the Night’s Watch and Jon Snow in particular. Even the sigil of House Swann expresses neutrality in its own way – a black and white swan opposing each other, over a white and black field respectively. Jon writes a paper-shield letter to Cersei to affirm the neutrality of the Night’s Watch, even though he guested Stannis at Castle Black. George regularly uses the color "red" to highlight someone or something, to say "pay attention". The word red serves like a marker, and here it is combined with "Watch".

So, when it comes to Redwynes and tourneys I don't think they are evidence so much of House Redwyne's overall importance (except for Olenna), but are stand-ins for Hosue Tyrell's importance without making it too obvious.

I love your tournament analyses, sweetsunray. Thank you for these good insights.

Brune might also be a sound-alike hint. A "bruin" would be a bear, so this might be a hint about House Mormont becoming wardens of the north or somehow working out a resolution through the King. If we had to settle for a new family taking over in that region, the Mormonts would be a reasonable alternative. (Of course, if I start getting into sound-alike hints in the absence of other evidence, this might also mean that Tyrion's friend Bronn is also a candidate, which seems unlikely.)

The king's guard with the dead eyes is Mandon Moore, isn't it? Maybe Meryn Trant also has dead eyes.

I know you have already analyzed Ravella Smallwood's (nee Swann) interaction with Arya, but that "ugly duckling --> swan" story could be another symbolic link to Jon Snow. Arya "becomes" Hornwood's daughter by wearing the daughter's clothes. Jon is very much an ugly duckling who doesn't feel at home in the nest of ducks in which he was raised, but who will come into his own once he sees his reflection. The black and white on the sigil also ties into the Night's Watch black contrasting with the Wall, and with Arya's House of Black and White affiliation.

Archived