How quickly can you compose yourself after going through airport security?

Ordos

Never had an issue with any of this stuff TBH (except the waiting for those who think that their knife, or liquids should be allowed because they're special - people like my brother for example).

I wear trousers that fit, so I don't need a belt; take a jacket, and use its pockets for tablet, phone etc. Passport and boarding pass stay in my pocket; and shoes come off when I'm about 10 people away from the check. 1 box, with shoes and jacket go through the X-ray; along with my bag. jackets is stored on bag, and I pick up my shoes and walk to some clear space to put them back on (I typically wear my boots through security, rather than take all that space in my luggage; so they usually need to come off, and I don't really care about walking around in my socks briefly)

I always travel light, so it's quick.  Keys out of left pocket, wallet out of back, phone out of right.  Laptop out of backpack, and I keep my liquids in the outer pocket for easy access.  When i travel personally, I wear shorts and sandals (so don't have to tie shoes), and my work shoes are slip-on loafers, so they're both easy. I'm out of the area within 30 seconds of getting my things from the x-ray line.  

I do wonder why when I have stepped in a body scanner that is supposed to be able to see tampons in your body it comes up with a message 'female' and a picture of a woman with a mark on her neck (a euphemism - the mark should be lower down) and I have to wait for a female staff member to come and make a vague pass over my bust and wave me on, why this machine doesn't know there are only breasts in there, and the bra didn't even have underwire. There must be some pocket of mystery in there where I could conceivably hide something.

When I travel I'm usually staying at my destination for about a month (long distance relationship) so my carry-on is a roll along just small enough to pass. It gets its own box. Then I get a second box for my shoes, coat, purse and passport, boarding pass, and phone. I don't keep things in the pockets of my clothes, and I don't bring my laptop or any liquids.

When I'm through I'll put my coat on and get the purse on my shoulder, the loose stuff in my hands and walk away with my carry-on to put my shoes on. I probably spend around or less than 10 seconds doing that, excepting my not-so-travel-friendly shoes, but since I'm out of the way while putting them on I don't count them. And if you're at Arlanda Airport in Sweden you don't even have to take your shoes off! (though once they asked me to step on a thing that I guess scanned them).

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I've been travelling domestically and I've noticed that security is no longer at the boarding gate, but immediately after check in. It's nice that they have finally become more practical because before you could not bring the liquids you bought at duty free into the plane.

But I'm not lying when I tell you as recently as last year, security was still at the gate instead of before the departure hall.

On 2016-04-22 at 9:53 AM, Ordos said:

However, my main complaint is not the procedure in itself but composing yourself after security. How quickly can you do this? Grab your bags before another passenger's bag pushes it off the conveyor belt or have a smaller bag with fragile items crushed between bigger bags. Luckily there is usually a small space for composing yourself so you don't hold up the line. But you still have to deal with nagging travel companions shouting 'Hurry up or we will miss the plane!' What do I mean by composing yourself? I mean the following: Putting jewelry, watch and belt back on, putting wallet and phone back into your pockets, putting on items of clothing such as hat, jacket and shoes and finally putting your laptop back in your bag. And don't forget your passport and boarding pass that you might overlook in the rush to compose yourself.

Edit: forgot to add; security will confiscate all your liquids: shampoo, liquid soap and bottled beverage. I've learned to put them in cargo, but the bottled soft drink I buy in the terminal while waiting I must dispose of. 

Pro-tip: don't EVER travel by airplane alone with kids and a laptop. If you find it difficult to get through on your own, that level of organisation will destroy you. :rofl:

Seriously though, why do you insist on wearing stuff you know is going to be inconvenient? Ditch the jewelry for the day, stick in the carry-on luggage, put on stuff that is sensible. Use resealable plastic bags for anything in your carry-on luggage that needs to be put in the plastic boxes: this includes, but are not limited to, liquids, technical gadgets, jewelry and yes, your boarding pass and passport. At least in Europe, you send them in to be scanned too. If you have all these things already pre-bagged, it takes almost no time at all. So no, they won't "confiscate" your liquids if you follow the rules and bag them accordingly. If I can get through Heathrow and Gatwick properly (where they confiscate lipstick and mascara when improperly bagged) then this should not be impossible. I believe the limit is 200ml. In any case, if this is cause for anxiety, guess what? Most airports have pretty good shops where you can buy these things. Shampoo, toothpaste, hairspray etc. Even baby food (and I know this cos I have done it). If the airport doesn't have it, or you don't fancy carrying it in your carry-on luggage, then most places in the somewhat civilised world have shops where these items can be procured with minimal fuss.

Oh and if you do happen to travel with a baby, bag their food. Now, if you want *inconvenient* how about traveling with a 6-months old baby, baby food, laptop and a freaking pram. I have. I also got stopped at Heathrow where they insisted I taste the baby formula since it could be OMG toxic. True story. Took me a while to re-arrange all the bags after that one.

Also, another pro-tip: be on time. If you take 2 min extra at the security check and that means you are going to miss boarding, you are too late to the airport. These are basic things everyone should be able to manage with a few minutes of thought put into it.

As for drinks, buy them once you get through the security checkpoint, for heaven's sake.

Archived