Show content blocker for book readers

I'm not sure if this belongs here, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of any Safari extensions that will block any GOT related content.

I, and I'm sure many of you other book readers out there, am trying to avoid all things TV show until the next book comes out and some sort of blocker would help. I was fairly good at just avoiding Star Wars stuff and what not but a blocker would make life much, much easier. So far I've only found Chrome extensions and, since I don't use that, I'm looking for some Safari ones.

I'm not being super unrealistic and believing that I can live in some sort of bubble and not hear of any little snippets, but one can try.

Mods, if this is in the wrong place then I do apologies in advance.

I'm "a book reader" and I'm not avoiding it. Though, I don't believe the show spoils much and what it does spoil will be so badly written I won't be able to tell it did. 

Anyway just avoid stuff related to the show. That's what I did for star wars and the avengers and when people try to talk to me about them I say no spoilers don't want to hear it. Worked great. Watched them from the comfort of my own home didn't have to hear people and their bullsh** at the theater-god do I hate the theater. 

The show is a badly written version of the books. Sure, you will be spoiled (The idea that the show and the books are two complete separate mediums is pure bullshit) since there will be character deaths, plot threads and information which will later reappear in the books. Of course there will be exceptions, but you can be fairly certain that if character X dies in the series he will die in the books too. Does anyone really believe Barristan won´t die for example? Or Shireen?

On the other hand, this doesn´t mean the same things will happen to the characters. Barristan clearly don´t die in the same place as he did in the show and do anyone really think Stannis will die only moments after he kills Shireen (if he even does that) in a battle? The show will speed up plot resolutions, change scenes and remove some things all together so the spoilers you receive is not that significant.

You can see it as the spoilers will at most give you a Where and a How, but not a Why.

40 minutes ago, Protagoras said:

The show is a badly written version of the books. Sure, you will be spoiled (The idea that the show and the books are two complete separate mediums is pure bullshit) since there will be character deaths, plot threads and information which will later reappear in the books. Of course there will be exceptions, but you can be fairly certain that if character X dies in the series he will die in the books too. Does anyone really believe Barristan won´t die for example? Or Shireen?

On the other hand, this doesn´t mean the same things will happen to the characters. Barristan clearly don´t die in the same place as he did in the show and do anyone really think Stannis will die only moments after he kills Shireen (if he even does that) in a battle? The show will speed up plot resolutions, change scenes and remove some things all together so the spoilers you receive is not that significant.

You can see it as the spoilers will at most give you a Where and a How, but not a Why.

Thanks for all the spoilers on this thread about avoiding spoilers. Very considerate.

1 hour ago, Half Of Tormunds Member said:

I'm not sure if this belongs here, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of any Safari extensions that will block any GOT related content.

I, and I'm sure many of you other book readers out there, am trying to avoid all things TV show until the next book comes out and some sort of blocker would help. I was fairly good at just avoiding Star Wars stuff and what not but a blocker would make life much, much easier. So far I've only found Chrome extensions and, since I don't use that, I'm looking for some Safari ones.

I'm not being super unrealistic and believing that I can live in some sort of bubble and not hear of any little snippets, but one can try.

Mods, if this is in the wrong place then I do apologies in advance.

The mods will try to keep threads and comments touching on the show to the appropriate forum. Threads which concern both should either be clearly marked as such in the title (e.g. Riverlands Discussion [Season 6 Spoilers]) and/or posted in the show forums. Comments about the show in non-spoiler threads should be spoiler tagged and clearly marked as such. E.g. 

Season 6 spoilers

Example

If someone makes a mistake and accidentally posts spoilers, please don't make a huge issue of it - mistakes do happen, and chances are the comment can be edited to add spoiler tags. If you feel someone is deliberately going out of their way to spoil people who don't want to be spoiled, the please report them or tell a moderator. 

Hope this helps

On 22 April 2016 at 5:23 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

The mods will try to keep threads and comments touching on the show to the appropriate forum. Threads which concern both should either be clearly marked as such in the title (e.g. Riverlands Discussion [Season 6 Spoilers]) and/or posted in the show forums. Comments about the show in non-spoiler threads should be spoiler tagged and clearly marked as such. E.g. 

Season 6 spoilers

Hide contents

Example

If someone makes a mistake and accidentally posts spoilers, please don't make a huge issue of it - mistakes do happen, and chances are the comment can be edited to add spoiler tags. If you feel someone is deliberately going out of their way to spoil people who don't want to be spoiled, the please report them or tell a moderator. 

Hope this helps

Hey, thanks for the response. Yeah, I wasn't sure and I marked the title as both book and TV, albeit without the *Spoiler* tag as I didn't feel the need to put any spoiler tags in since I didn't include any content. Alas, there was some of that, but, as you say, mistakes happen. 

I didn't mean (and still don't want) this thread to be about a comparison and such conversations which may lead from that, it is only my intention to try and find some browser extensions.

2 hours ago, Half Of Tormunds Member said:

Hey, thanks for the response. Yeah, I wasn't sure and I marked the title as both book and TV, albeit without the *Spoiler* tag as I didn't feel the need to put any spoiler tags in since I didn't include any content. Alas, there was some of that, but, as you say, mistakes happen. 

I didn't mean (and still don't want) this thread to be about a comparison and such conversations which may lead from that, it is only my intention to try and find some browser extensions.

Oh, I wasn't suggesting you should do that for this thread. I was just giving some guidance as to how threads should be posted with regard to show and book spoilers. Nothing wrong with this thread :) 

The blunt truth is if you frequent these forums, even the book only section, spoilers are going to be dropped now and again be it inadvertent or not. If you're wanting to avoid them, honestly an internet forum is the last place you should be.

I can assure you, after I've read the alleged leaks of the show, that there is NO WAY, the show will spoil the books. No way.

Either way, as said above, people will spoil even if unintentionally. The best think I recommend is report it immediately to the mods and move on. There is no much we can do about it :dunno:

I will be staying away from here for a while and thankfully I seem to have found a Facebook option. On a post which mentioned GOT I clicked on the little arrow on the top right and there's an option to "Hide posts like this" or something like that. It seems to have worked so far. I don't use Twitter or Reddit all that much so hopefully I might be able to stay reasonably spoiler free.

Thanks anyway folks. See you when Winds is out ;)

I can't imagine a blocker that would be able to catch everything related to the show that wouldn't block anything related to ASoIaF.  Most spoilers won't have keywords specific to the show, it will be people posting stuff like "Can you believe Ramsay killed Rickon?" or "How the hell did Brienne get Sansa pregnant?", nothing distinguishing it from book chat except it not fitting into the context of the books.  You would need an artificial intelligence familiar with every detail of the series and the books and able to parse statements and determine intelligently what the source was.

Archived