Most Important Houses in ASOIAF for the story

norwaywolf123

If you ask me which houses plays the biggest and most important role in the story i would say. Also im thinking Houses from westeros or that are present in westeros

1. House Stark

2. House Targaryen/Blackfyre "Same thing"

3. House Lannister (I see Cersei children as part of House Lannister)

4. House Greyjoy

5. House Tyrell

6. House Martell

7. House Baratheon 

8. House Arryn

9. House Frey

Your pick? waht do you think?

7 minutes ago, Fisch said:

Stark, Targaryen, Lannister, and Baratheon. For all its shortcomings as an adaptation, the show got that much right when it picked their four sigils to frame the title.

I feel the Baratheons are spent. Only Stannis and Shireen remains along with some of Roberts bastard of whom only Edric Storm is acknowleged and universally recognised as roberts son. What role do you think they will play in the future?

2 hours ago, norwaywolf123 said:

2. House Targaryen/Blackfyre "Same thing"

No.  Just no.  They are not the same thing.  They are cousins, but it is not the same thing at all.  They are bitter rivals.  There has been a plot in the making for the past 20 some years to usurp the Targs with a Blackfyre.  Your list is fine as far as who are the most important houses and I'd agree with most of it but Targs and Blackfyres are not the same thing in any fashion or form. A Liger is not a Tiger, right? 

8 minutes ago, LyrnaSnowBunnyAvenger said:

No.  Just no.  They are not the same thing.  They are cousins, but it is not the same thing at all.  They are bitter rivals.  There has been a plot in the making for the past 20 some years to usurp the Targs with a Blackfyre.  Your list is fine as far as who are the most important houses and I'd agree with most of it but Targs and Blackfyres are not the same thing in any fashion or form. A Liger is not a Tiger, right? 

same same but diffrent. 

They are just to branches of house targaryen who disagree on the succesion.

10 minutes ago, norwaywolf123 said:

same same but diffrent. 

They are just to branches of house targaryen who disagree on the succesion.

And so started the War of the Roses.  Branches of the same family who differ on succession can have enormous, far reaching and devastating impact on countries.  I just simply cannot agree that they are the same.  To be honest, I don't even really understand how you are making that argument given their history.    

3 hours ago, Tom Cruise said:

I'm really hoping House Dayne ends up playing a major role.

why? Whats so special about them? Most of them are dead exept Edric and Allyria. Aswell as Darkstar who is from a cadet branch.

the way i see it

Darkstar is the anti arthur

Edric is a kid 

Allyria we dont know anything about exept that she was betrothed to the late beric dondarrion

There are a lot of ways to take the topic.   Most important in what sense?   Settled first?  Wealth?  Magical?  Influence? Alliances?   I like the swords so I have to go with the original 1st Men settlers who made the first pact with the COTF.   I never considered the Baratheons important beyond Stannis.  They've only been around since Aegon's Conquest.   The Tullys have been around longer as a legitimate family but again, were only made high lords since Aegon's Conquest.   The Arryns have been around forever but are poorly represented in the story by a dead super Hand and a spoiled sickly child.   Outside of Marg and Loras I don't even know why these tedious Tyrells are even players.   Where are those Hightowers? They were never shy about being involved in the ruling party previously?   Why do we see a bit of Dorne and the II but nothing of the Reach?   From the beginning of AGOT to sample chapters from TWOW we have seen virtual extinction of multiple noble houses.    Will the Corbrays rebound?  What will be come of the Lannisters in Tywin's line?   The Nights Watch is down to less than 50 original men.  (I consider the NW a house of sorts)  Even if the Starks survive will any of them have children?  The Karstarks?  All these without even really getting into the Targs.   All the original houses we began with are dwindling fast.   Perhaps the important houses are yet to be seen?    

9 hours ago, norwaywolf123 said:

I feel the Baratheons are spent. Only Stannis and Shireen remains along with some of Roberts bastard of whom only Edric Storm is acknowleged and universally recognised as roberts son. What role do you think they will play in the future?

Your thread asks which of the houses are most important to the story being told in ASoIaF; the Baratheons have played an incredibly important role to date, and Stannis is poised to continue holding importance well into TWoW.

I go with the ones who has the most POV's in books while the first books are more important because there is less POVs overall, so:

1, Stark. Only two members of current family didn't have a POV.

2, Targaryen. In the first book we actually have 1,5 Targ POV half counting Jon. 

3, Lannister. Only one POV in the first book, but two very important ones later

>>>>>>>>>>>>>> HUGE GAP <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

4, Greyjoy, Theon's POV appears as soon as the second book, but he grew up with Starks and is in a way just as much tied to them as to Greyjoys. Later we get other prominent POVs like Asha and Victarion and minor one in Aeron.

5, Martell. Two POVs from the younger generation.

6, Baratheon

7, Tyrell

8, Tully

9, Arryn

Archived