Ser Danyel Mortimer

Stannis after Renly

5 posts in this topic

Could Stannis have gained the foot at Bitter Bridge if he had sent most of his army after Loras and Randall Tarly?

Probably. After Renly died 80% of his knights and lords jumped ship, so a great deal of that infantry would've been sworn to people serving Stannis. Randyll prevented any major desertions by securing the food stores, putting "a great many to the sword", and imprisoning the envoys from Storm's End. Had Stannis been marching right on his heels however, the outcome could have been completely different.

Thats basically my thoughts, there is no way I could see that Randall could have stopped him if Stannis had marched most of his army against him, Stannis had 4/5 of Renly's horse plus five thousand of his own men.

Does Stannis finish off the Tyrells, march his army back to Storms End after claiming the foot or make two armies one to fight the Tyrells and one for him to lead to Kings Landing?

I imagine he would need to split his forces. Feeding that many men without a fully cooperative Reach would be very difficult, even more so when he's marching into totally hostile regions. 

I suspect Mace wouldn't take long to surrender if Stannis effectively high-jacked his vassals and eliminated/scattered the Tyrell loyalist lords, so he'd probably send one force to King's Landing and then the other/s to the Riverlands.