The monk of westeros (the fighting style monk)

One-eyed Misbehavin

Is there any chance Varys can fight with some crazy style or at the least is capable of defending himself? I'm not going to go far with this but he did "do anything it took to survive" after his man part cut. The only physical confrontation that I can think of  involving varys was with Jamie and tactically varys was at a gigantic disadvantage it wouldn't have been very smart to engage Jamie mf lanny when he is already cutting you with a blade.

Varys could have easily been holding out on us this whole time. His best friend was a Bravossi water dancer who did not die. That is better than a lot of other Bravossi water dancers. 

I could just see him surprising us with martial skill it wouldn't be out of character and he is bald a very important quality for a monk

1 hour ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

Is there any chance Varys can fight with some crazy style or at the least is capable of defending himself? I'm not going to go far with this but he did "do anything it took to survive" after his man part cut. The only physical confrontation that I can think of  involving varys was with Jamie and tactically varys was at a gigantic disadvantage it wouldn't have been very smart to engage Jamie mf lanny when he is already cutting you with a blade.

Varys could have easily been holding out on us this whole time. His best friend was a Bravossi water dancer who did not die. That is better than a lot of other Bravossi water dancers. 

I could just see him surprising us with martial skill it wouldn't be out of character and he is bald a very important quality for a monk

IT is called a crossbow and he used it. He probably has some physical skill. He played a keep guard and Rungen for years. He had to be able to look the part at least 

7 hours ago, The Dames do Moan said:

Damn, I was thinking maybe he was ok physically but you think he is as good of a warrior as Sandor Clegane?

Are you asking me if Varys is as good a fighter as Sandor Clegane?

So, your conclusion is Varys could be a shaolin-like monk because he is bald? :D

So far we have no proof that Varys has had any martial training whatsoever, so him fighting in what you call "crazy style" is at least unlikely. On the other hand, we do not know a lot about him, but what w do now is that he is described as fat and soft. He might hide some muscles somewhere, but I am quite sure we can agree he is not extraordinarily fit. Since he grew up a thief on the street and played beggars and guards though, you can at least assume that he can at least hold his own in a fight, although it is an entirely different question if he could take on a trained knight...

4 hours ago, Light a wight tonight said:

Varys's martial arts skills are surpassed only by Lady Olenna's.

The trouble with that is that Varys can't hide a razor under his weave like Olenna and the ladies of women's penitentiaries can.

So while it's relatively evenly matched, it's tipped toward the side of Lady Olenna.

Don't get me wrong, Vary's has lots of pockets in his sleeves. I just can't say for sure.

It would not suprise me if Varys had brought some Eastern fighting style over from Essos, although I doubt that he's stronger than most men (no testosterone or puberty after all). He also probably has a few small blades secreted on his person.
This is all a far cry from being able to take on a trained knight, like Sandor.

3 minutes ago, Daendrew said:

The trouble with that is that Varys can't hide a razor under his weave like Olenna and the ladies of women's penitentiaries can.

So while it's relatively evenly matched, it's tipped toward the side of Lady Olenna.

Wait hold on: has this discussion moved to whether Varys would win against Olenna?!?

(Varys, obviously ;))

3 minutes ago, Maester of Valyria said:

Wait hold on: has this discussion moved to whether Varys would win against Olenna?!?

(Varys, obviously ;))

There is something fishy about your support for Varys rather than the rightful Queen Grandmother of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros.

It's almost as treasonous as supporting the Black Dragon.

5 minutes ago, Daendrew said:

There is something fishy about your support for Varys rather than the rightful Queen Grandmother of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros.

As far as we know, Olena has a kill count of 2. Varys surpasses that on his average work day.

6 minutes ago, Victarion Chainbreaker said:

As far as we know, Olena has a kill count of 2. Varys surpasses that on his average work day.

Because the horses of high lords just walk over mountain cliffs all the time... to be sure.

40 minutes ago, The Dames do Moan said:

You said Vary's equivalents were were the Warriors on the QI? I thought you meant he was equivalent to Sandor. Or maybe Sandor with a leg injury.

Knights of the QI are in some way equivalent. Quiet like Zen meditation and labor.  If you talk to someone who went to live at a Zen monestary they are invariably shocked  that most of their day is not spent meditating but peeling potatoes etc. etc. ZenCast is a fantastic podcast to learn more about it. It's amazing overall.

The Warrior's Son's haven't seemed so contemplative as of yet.

The Varys stuff was just joking.

On 23/04/2016 at 4:49 PM, Daendrew said:

Varys is presumably faster, more mobile, and has scores of little urchins with knives who can slip into locked bedchambers easily. Not that he'd want to kill her of course: they are old lovers, as evidenced by that scene in the show where she makes a joke about the non-existent bumping against the decrepit :D

On 23/04/2016 at 5:09 PM, Victarion Chainbreaker said:

The Tyrells are descended from the Gardeners through the female line. That's First Men blood and that horse was WARGED.:P 

:lmao:

1 hour ago, Maester of Valyria said:

Varys is presumably faster, more mobile, and has scores of little urchins with knives who can slip into locked bedchambers easily. Not that he'd want to kill her of course: they are old lovers, as evidenced by that scene in the show where she makes a joke about the non-existent bumping against the decrepit :D

:lmao:

My son, Lord Puff Fish can deal with a few street urchins. Pisshhhhhh. We have the largest army, largest economy and we are the second richest family. Against what? Who has the balls to stop us? Hmm? Pray tell.

Varys?

On April 23, 2016 at 9:19 PM, Dorian Martell said:

IT is called a crossbow and he used it. He probably has some physical skill. He played a keep guard and Rungen for years. He had to be able to look the part at least 

I'm just saying he could have been holding back his martial skills. He would have killed Kevin either way with all his weird little helpers.

Can you see him being able to fight? 

On April 23, 2016 at 11:39 AM, Daendrew said:

Don't get me wrong, Vary's has lots of pockets in his sleeves. I just can't say for sure.

No telling what he keeps in all those pockets. Rhaegars rubies, horn of joraman, kraken horn, Ser illyns tongue, Robs will, R+L=J, valyrian steel armor 

Archived