Best Fighters/Swordsmen?

A couple of premises:

a) I am going to consider either fighters shown (alive or dead) in the books, or ones we have direct testimony, but not long dead ones like Aegon the Conqueror etc.

b ) I have to agree with the previous post. Oberyn destroyed Clegane and would have won easily if it wasn't for his eagerness to have him confess. Hadn't Oberyn the need of having him talk, he would have won easily. Granted, the fight would have taken a long, long time, but Oberyn was already prevailing (Clegane was already slowing down, bleeding considerably, etc...). 

So, hoping to forget no one...

1)Robert Baratheon

2) Barristan Selmy/Jaime Lannister/Arthur Dayne, I'd say equally

5) Oberyn Martell

6) Sandor Clegane

7) Gregor Clegane

8) Qhorin Halfhand

9) Areo Otah

10) Tyrell brothers. Loras admits that Garlan is the better sword, but also states he's a better all-arounder.

On 14/08/2016 at 1:11 AM, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

Really? The only reason Bob is behind the first 6 is if we NEGATE feats, author quotes or accolades

By feats Robert is either 1, or sharing 1 with Selmy, unless we are speaking of swords alone... because he has more kills than the rest, better genetics, better weapon, and confirmed by the author to have legendary prowess with said superior weapon... so he's not behind those 6 that's for sure, equals dayne and barri but still has the advantages

Yeah, I actually agree, looking back at that post I'd change it quite a bit, I change my mind quite regularly on this topic. I'd probably take Maegor out of the 10 altogether, even though he was beating hardened knights at 13, I don't know... is that really that impressive when we see kids like Josmyn Peckledon knocking about? 

Blackfyre and Aemon are sort of getting the benefit of the doubt based on their legendary status to be honest. Dayne is automatically Selmy's equal by virtue of Martin's word, obviously. 

I see Robert Baratheon as Martin's Conan the Cimmerian. 

On 02/09/2016 at 5:14 PM, Lars Penry said:

Yeah, I actually agree, looking back at that post I'd change it quite a bit, I change my mind quite regularly on this topic. I'd probably take Maegor out of the 10 altogether, even though he was beating hardened knights at 13, I don't know... is that really that impressive when we see kids like Josmyn Peckledon knocking about? 

Blackfyre and Aemon are sort of getting the benefit of the doubt based on their legendary status to be honest. Dayne is automatically Selmy's equal by virtue of Martin's word, obviously. 

I see Robert Baratheon as Martin's Conan the Cimmerian. 

You mean Robert Howard's Conan? Martin and he are friends so you're not the first confused by it...

Yes, Conan while not as tall (6 feet to bob's 6'6) was described by Robert Howard as tall, powerfully build, square animalistic jaw, dark hair and blue eyes with martial love and obsession so... yep, a shorter Robert i agree

48 minutes ago, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

You mean Robert Howard's Conan? Martin and he are friends so you're not the first confused by it...

Yes, Conan while not as tall (6 feet to bob's 6'6) was described by Robert Howard as tall, powerfully build, square animalistic jaw, dark hair and blue eyes with martial love and obsession so... yep, a shorter Robert i agree

I meant he's Martin's ode to Conan, because he was a massive fan as a youngster. Even the manner in which they both attain their kingdom (by conquest) and swiftly become bored of ruling due to their love of battle is similar, and both are basically superhuman in strength. Conan's actually a little taller than 6', he is often described by Howard as being incredibly tall, it's one of his defining features. Howard wrote he was 6' at 15 and that he was the physical double of one of his other characters (whose name escapes me), who was 6'2". It's odd though, because Howard referred to him as being 'inhumanly' tall a few times, though given that Conan was of the Hyborian Age, he may have meant by their standards. 

3 hours ago, Lars Penry said:

I meant he's Martin's ode to Conan, because he was a massive fan as a youngster. Even the manner in which they both attain their kingdom (by conquest) and swiftly become bored of ruling due to their love of battle is similar, and both are basically superhuman in strength. Conan's actually a little taller than 6', he is often described by Howard as being incredibly tall, it's one of his defining features. Howard wrote he was 6' at 15 and that he was the physical double of one of his other characters (whose name escapes me), who was 6'2". It's odd though, because Howard referred to him as being 'inhumanly' tall a few times, though given that Conan was of the Hyborian Age, he may have meant by their standards. 

gotcha, yeah i forgot at the beginning conan is still a teen so he grew taller just not 6´6 i guess, but yes he surely meant tall for that Age in history... but i see the similarities for sure

Really people. The Robert Baratheon fans get tiresome. Martin has all but confirmed in interviews and correspondence that the top fighters in his world were Arthur Dayne and Barristan Selmy, tied. With Dayne winning due to Dawn. And that Jaime is one of the greatest fighters in the history of Westeros, which surely places him just a hair below the top two.

Robert was a great fighter. But he is not in the league of these top three. He will fight it out with other big, strong guys, like the Greatjon, Sandor and Gregor Clegane for the next tier. And frankly, all three of them outsize and outmuscle him, so I doubt he would rank above them either, to be quite honest.

• 4 weeks later...

It's Gregor. Realistically, no one in more than 1/10 scenarios would hold a candle in an actual battle (i.e. they both have plate armor) to matching a REGULAR 7'6 450-pound monster, let alone a bonafide superhuman who can explode a man's skull in his grip, lift an armored man with one outstreched arm and poor leverage, run around in ~400 pounds of plate armor like it's nothing, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/09/2016 at 4:12 PM, Free Northman Reborn said:

Really people. The Robert Baratheon fans get tiresome. Martin has all but confirmed in interviews and correspondence that the top fighters in his world were Arthur Dayne and Barristan Selmy, tied. With Dayne winning due to Dawn. And that Jaime is one of the greatest fighters in the history of Westeros, which surely places him just a hair below the top two.

Robert was a great fighter. But he is not in the league of these top three. He will fight it out with other big, strong guys, like the Greatjon, Sandor and Gregor Clegane for the next tier. And frankly, all three of them outsize and outmuscle him, so I doubt he would rank above them either, to be quite honest.

-agree FNR, we are tiresome :D but it's true, prime bob is inferior to no one in personal combat

- Martin never said who was the top fighter or swordsman in any medium, and that is something folks sometimes get wrong, he was asked "who would win in a duel between prime barristan and prime dayne", he said "either way with equal weapons and dayne with dawn"... that's it... we can compare magic with bird, but jordan is still around...

- Yes, Martin said jaime was one of the greatest swordsman ever wich puts him in the highest tier along with Bob, dayne, barri and few others but swordsmanship is one in a handful of aspects of armoured combat

- GRRM also said Robert's warhammer prowess was legendary, having into acount a warhammer trumps any sword in armoured combat effectiveness... well...

- Ned who fought prime Dayne, said Robert was peerless (in marshal terms) and the fiercest warrior in the realm while saying dayne was the best knight... hardly biased because robert was also a knight, but knights have other aspects like chivalry and honor

- Robert has single combat feats only Barristan (a guy who fought for almost 50 years) can equal/surpass in numbers

- prime robert has the genetic advantage to arthur, jaime or barri in reach and power (who serves as the attack, defense and armour movement main point in medieval duels) and even has great agility by his boar hunting technique (so unless it's on horseback or just swords, he has the advantage)

- a guy the author puts on legendary level is not inferior to any one, not even other legendary fighters (wich barri, dayne and jaime are by the way, the weapons and genetic features make the diference)

-between these folks, it's apples and oranges, minute details make the diference, i personaly would not bet against prime bob in 1v1 armoured combat on foot, against any warrior in asoiaf

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently re-reading sections of The World of Ice and Fire, which is why I'm here. Are we counting just novel and immediate history characters? Because based on the OP, there are a ton of characters to consider, but the problem is we know some of their deeds, but not exactly their skill at arms. If the entire lore is considered, then characters like Azor Ahai and the first Greyiron king ought to be at the top of the list. 

Even in the more detailed, recent history, there are still a lot of questions. Aemon the Dragonknight has legendary status even to present day. Would he be above Arthur Dayne, Barristan, or Jaime? As GRRM expressed, Dayne had the advantage of Dawn, but the Dragonknight wielded Dark Sister.

Still, if you were to give everyone a sword of whatever style they preferred, but made from the same metal, any realistic list I would make would probably have Syrio Forel at its top. Reading about Braavos in TWoIaF only enforces my opinion of how deadly water-dancers are, and on top of that the First Sword of the Sealord is typically considered the best among the water-dancers. Put a steel rapier in Syrio's hand, not a wooden sword, and see what Westerosi knight can beat him. I wouldn't even bother considering unarmored opponents like Dothraki or pit fighters against him.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On June 13, 2016 at 8:01 PM, BricksAndSparrows said:

1.) Jamie Lannister  (before maiming... and maybe he's going to get better than before.)

2.) The Dragonknight/ Arthur Dayne

3.) Barristan Selmy/ Ryam Redwine

4.) Daemon Blackfyre/ Gwayne Corbray

5.) Quentyn Ball

6.) Bittersteel/ Duncan the Tall

7.)  Sandor Clegane/ Oberyn Martell

8.) Khal Drogo

9.) Brienne of Tarth

10.) Bronn/ Lynn Corbray

So, I didn't put the Mountain on here..... I just can't decide where to squeeze him in. I feel like anyone on this list, and anyone in general, could have finished him off from the point where he killed the Viper. Oberyn was just careless at the end. Anyway, this list can't be made without at least considering Ser Gregor...

Corbray should be on everyone's list if it's 10 people. No way 9 other people could hang with Daemon B for over an hour... 

1. Arthur Dayne (the fact that everyone known to man in ASOIAF think he is the best, must be true, killed by foul play)

2. Daemon Blackfyre (said to fight like the warrior himself, slain by arrows)

3. Cregan Stark / Aemon "the Dragonknight" (He's the Dragonknight, and he said he's never went up against a finer swordsman then ol' Cregan)

5. Oberyn Martell (he may used poisoned blades, but you cannot deny the talent. He beat the Mountain!! i dont care what anyone says!)

6. Barristan Selmy (he is a living legend, Ninepenny Kings, Duskendale, Kingswood Bros, Roberts Rebellion, Greyjoy Rebellion, Slaver's Bay)

7. Jaime Lannister (with both hands, i believe a young Barristan is better though)

8. Gwayne Corbray (his duel vs. Daemon is all he needs to make the list)

9. Robert Baratheon (in his younger days, before the eating and drinking and whoring... well not before the whoring)

10. Sandor "the Hound" Clegane (he's a dangerous man)

**Honorable Mention:

• Criston Cole
  • Roddy "the Ruin" Dustin (he killed 2 Hightowers after 1 arm was cut off, gotta count for something)
  • Gregor "the Mountain that Rides" Clegane (i find the only reason he is worth anything is b/c he is westerosi Incredible Hulk, all size and strength)
  • Aegon "the Conqueror"
  • Maegor "the Cruel"
  • Daemon Targaryen
  • Baelor Breakspear
  • Maekar 

I struggle to justify some of the Targaryens who had dragons, like Aegon I... don't really have any examples of him literally being a warrior. The whole conquest he just burned ppl on Balerion, then sat out the Dornish War essentially.  Unless I am mistaken. 

Almost a year has passed, and Prime Robert is still in a class of his own... no asoiaf human knight is going to win agaisnt a warhammer user with legendary prowess and stupidily genetic advantages for armoured duels, and more renowned kills than everyone aside selmy who fought 40+ years more

• 3 months later...

Archived