The age gap between Renly and his brothers

2 hours ago, Lord Vance II said:

This is kind of off topic, but Stannis always seemed like the older brother. I suppose it's just the No-BS attitude he had. Plus I think the actor in the show looks older than Robert's actor. 

On the contrary, he suffers from a textbook example of middle child syndrome.

11 minutes ago, Lord Vance II said:

Eh, there's no middle child in my family, so what do I know?

No problem, mate.

I'll clarify a bit, his uncertainties, desire from attention/recognition, general dourness, and tendency to always compare himself to his brothers (mostly is elder) fit the stereotype of the middle child perfectly.

2 hours ago, Joy Hill said:

Really? Stannis seems very much like a middle child to me, and Renly acts like the baby of the family. It's Bob who doesn't act like a firstborn.

Maybe because Robert is a drunkard and Stannis lives by his duty and its code. The latter type of person usually strikes us as older than the former to us, in our everyday. Or dumber (take Victarion), since hobbies/adictions and vices are attributed to inmature persons.

10 minutes ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

Maybe because Robert is a drunkard and Stannis lives by his duty and its code. The latter type of person usually strikes us as older than the former to us, in our everyday. Or dumber (take Victarion), since hobbies/adictions and vices are attributed to inmature persons.

Stannis strikes me as a stereotypical middle child who wasn't the special one like the eldest, nor the one who was doted on like the youngest, but was stuck in the middle and felt left out and neglected. 

On 4/23/2016 at 6:37 PM, Starfell said:

I like the phrase "happy accident" :)

There's also a crackpot that he's one of Bob's bastards who his parents adopted to shield him from scandal

I actually like the thought of him being the first of Robert's bastards. At this point, it would be completely irrelevant to the story, but I'd like it to be true. Just an extra layer to the complete mess that is Westeros.

On 4/23/2016 at 4:37 PM, Starfell said:

There's also a crackpot that he's one of Bob's bastards who his parents adopted to shield him from scandal

This has always been one of my favorite cracked pots.

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 11:37 PM, Starfell said:

Why would it be a scandal? Bastards are far from rare in Westeros and fathering one (as apposed to birthing one) is almost treated with grudging respect, as a sign of masculinity. Harry the Heir has one and another on the way and no one seems to regard it as a big deal. If Robert was Renly's father I doubt Steffon would adopt him (and put a bastard third in line to inherit the Stormlands.) As to the topic, these things happen, the age gaps between me and my 3 siblings are 1 year, 2 years and then 13 years.

2 hours ago, Mick of House Guinness said:

Why would it be a scandal? Bastards are far from rare in Westeros and fathering one (as apposed to birthing one) is almost treated with grudging respect, as a sign of masculinity. Harry the Heir has one and another on the way and no one seems to regard it as a big deal. If Robert was Renly's father I doubt Steffon would adopt him (and put a bastard third in line to inherit the Stormlands.) As to the topic, these things happen, the age gaps between me and my 3 siblings are 1 year, 2 years and then 13 years.

I don't know, it's a hypothtical and it all depends on the personality of a man about whom we have next to no information. It could be anything from a desire not to see one of his blood raised with the stigma of bastardry, giving Cassana a child to look after to ease the pain of a miscarriage (most forms of the theory rely on Cassana having recently had a stillbirth around the time of Renly's birth), being embarrassed by the identity of the mother, blackmail, guilt, shame, piety, a sense of responsibility. As I said, it's a crackpot.

Archived