MLB 2016: Chia Pet Un-Safe Zone

Ramsay B.

14 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

He must not want to play in Chicago anymore but I can't see any team paying through the nose to get him though, what he did was bona-fide crazy. He should probably be evaluated by a professional before he plays again. 

Alternately, the conspiracy theory on the radio this morning, while I could still get the station while driving, was that it was essentially a cry for help and Sale WANTS to stay with the White Sox and he's trying to Sabato get potential trades by making himself seem crazier than he is.  In reality, he's a 12 year old mentally. Guy's a nut job.

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Alternately, the conspiracy theory on the radio this morning, while I could still get the station while driving, was that it was essentially a cry for help and Sale WANTS to stay with the White Sox and he's trying to Sabato get potential trades by making himself seem crazier than he is.  In reality, he's a 12 year old mentally. Guy's a nut job.

But...they had collars.

3 minutes ago, Ramsay Blow said:

A young, top prospect...well done. First time I can remember Yankees being the ones trading a stud for young talent before the trade deadline in quite some time. 

And one of the other guys was a first round draft pick who the Cubs got in return for Jeff Szmardjia. 

4 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

And one of the other guys was a first round draft pick who the Cubs got in return for Jeff Szmardjia. 

And we can't forget the obvious centerpiece of the trade, Adam Warren. He's back!

24 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Yikes, Cubs paid a pretty steep price for a rental.

If they sign him to an extension it will be slightly less steep. 

21 minutes ago, Ramsay Blow said:

And we can't forget the obvious centerpiece of the trade, Adam Warren. He's back!

I'm pretty excited about this for some reason.  

18 hours ago, Triskan said:

Damn, I didn't realize this guy Story for Colorado was a short stop or I'd forgotten.  So you have Story with like 28 HR's, Diaz hitting .318 with good power, and Seager for LA all as NL rookie shortstops this year.  I feel like all of them would win Rooke of the Year most years. 

The crop of young shortstops right now is incredible, both leagues.

51 minutes ago, Ramsay Blow said:

A young, top prospect...well done. First time I can remember Yankees being the ones trading a stud for young talent before the trade deadline in quite some time. 

It's kinda unfair when the Yanks play it smart.

50 minutes ago, Ramsay Blow said:

The top Cubs prospect, ranked #26 overall...who'd have to get through Addison Russell and Javy Baez...he's a moveable piece certainly. Last year, their top prospects were like four of the top ten overall...those guys are all up.  It's an acceptable price.  But it's still Chapman and there's a certain ickiness to this...

43 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Yikes, Cubs paid a pretty steep price for a rental.

Likely Theo wouldn't have made this move without knowing that Chapman was going to sign longer term...

5 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Unfair when the Steinbrenners play it smart. This is what happens when you let a baseball man make the move he wants to make.

I hear you, but I've always seen the Steinbrenner effect as a nod to the gods of parity.

I understand that Torres isn't Bryant or Shwarber, and I understand that he was blocked in the Cubs organization, but your top prospect plus three others is still a high price to pay for a rental reliever, even one as good as Chapman. And yeah, maybe they extend him, maybe, but that's a different transaction, it's got nothing to do with the price they paid. This trade only looks good for the Cubs if Chapman plays a big part in winning them a championship this year. Then it's a brilliant move, and Epstien is the genius hero once again. But if the Cubbies don't win it all and Chapman opts for free agency, they'll sure wish they still had old Gleyber to dangle as trade bait.

Archived