MLB 2016: Chia Pet Un-Safe Zone

Ramsay B.

How dare this kid watch his monster homer for a second or two instead of immediately running the bases against John Lackey. He must not have gotten the memo that all must kneel at the altar of the Cubs at all times...

http://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/john_lackey_on_christian_bethancourt_admiring_hr_i_got_a_long_memory/s1_8061_20894674

I'd like to run something by the board's bullshit detectors.

David Price has had a poor start to the season. He got eaten alive by the Yankees last week. Then, the story goes, Dustin Pedroia points out a flaw in his mechanics, they iron it out, and he strikes out 12 Astros and gives up one run (though he escaped a jam or two) and displays better control in his next start. I guess we'd need more starts to really tell, but does it really happen that neatly? Or is it because it was the Astros? Maybe both?

If Price is, uh, right again, and Porcello can maintain his shocking recent competence (having the team score 8 runs every time he pitches is nice too) then I'm not even that worried about Buccholz being his regular wobbly self. Especially with a team that's scored 50 runs in the last four games.

12 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

How dare this kid watch his monster homer for a second or two instead of immediately running the bases against John Lackey. He must not have gotten the memo that all must kneel at the altar of the Cubs at all times...

http://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/john_lackey_on_christian_bethancourt_admiring_hr_i_got_a_long_memory/s1_8061_20894674

I bet John Lackey's ex-wife also has a long memory. That might be petty and low given I don't know why he filed for divorce while she was undergoing treatment for breast cancer. But anyways, fuck him. Don't want perceived showboating to wound his widdle feewings? Don't cough up a homer that lands outside the park. 

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'd like to run something by the board's bullshit detectors.

David Price has had a poor start to the season. He got eaten alive by the Yankees last week. Then, the story goes, Dustin Pedroia points out a flaw in his mechanics, they iron it out, and he strikes out 12 Astros and gives up one run (though he escaped a jam or two) and displays better control in his next start. I guess we'd need more starts to really tell, but does it really happen that neatly? Or is it because it was the Astros? Maybe both?

If Price is, uh, right again, and Porcello can maintain his shocking recent competence (having the team score 8 runs every time he pitches is nice too) then I'm not even that worried about Buccholz being his regular wobbly self. Especially with a team that's scored 50 runs in the last four games.

I think things like this can happen but may not be consistent. Mechanics is all about muscle memory so if he has a flaw, it might take some time for him to build it into his muscle memory. Correcting flaws do make a difference though as he might have better control of his pitches, better location, more bite on off speed, more movement on FB, etc. That's why pitching coaches are generally so valuable, at least the good ones. 

Also, Astros have some pretty good talent at the top end of the line up though they do have a propensity to strike out.

If Pedroia is one of those players that studies an assload of tape on starting pitchers looking for nuances, I could see him spotting something that may be different in Prices mechanics as he has played against Price quite a bit over the years.

I turned on the Sox game(I still don have YES, it's dire times) and Clemens was in the booth and they were breaking down what he was doing differently this game than previous games. I missed most of the breakdown but it had to do with him keeping his hands higher throughout the wind-up to get better balance and drive, or something along those lines. I wish I saw the whole thing since it seemed interesting and Clemens obviously knows what he's talking about. But even before this game Price was striking out batters at a career high rate, he just obviously needs more consistency which will come. Sox are just mashing the ball right now and it's fucking annoying.

2 hours ago, Ramsay Blow said:

I turned on the Sox game(I still don have YES, it's dire times) and Clemens was in the booth and they were breaking down what he was doing differently this game than previous games. I missed most of the breakdown but it had to do with him keeping his hands higher throughout the wind-up to get better balance and drive, or something along those lines. I wish I saw the whole thing since it seemed interesting and Clemens obviously knows what he's talking about. But even before this game Price was striking out batters at a career high rate, he just obviously needs more consistency which will come. Sox are just mashing the ball right now and it's fucking annoying.

Ah, I had it muted while Clemens was on. Not particularly because I hate Clemens, but because Mrs. Gabriel and I were chatting and the baseball was background for the moment. Keeping his hands higher does sound like the initial critiques from Pedroia that I read about a few days ago.

Pesci, I would absolutely believe Pedroia to enough of a film guy to be able to identify flaws in form. He's the goddamn Laser Show. So that's cool, hopefully Price can keep the mechanics consistent going forward, and this was an aberration.

Mostly my suspicion was that, when the story came out about Pedroia spotting the flaw and Price working on it, it sounded like excuse-making for Price's poor start. Team-generated smokescreen to fend off fan upset over an expensive free agent failing (though I and many others WANTED the team to go after the top pitching free agents just because we were so pissed about letting Lester walk over money and last year's "we believe we have five number one pitchers!" charade). The Sox are notorious for trying to gaslight fans or leaking bullshit to the local media for PR purposes, the worst of it being the smear job on Francona when he left. We had one sports talk baseball guy, the afternoon before Price's start, saying he wasn't going to trust the radar gun at the stadium.

The Sox are mashing but I remember a few hot starts that ended up in despair. Jackie Bradley Jr. is laying waste to pitches like he was at the end of the last season when none of us would allow ourselves to believe it was anything more than a fluke. Fuck, they benched Panda and his bench replacement has been better than Panda's best projections were. And even Christian Vazquez, a "his defense is good enough to ignore the absence of a bat" catcher, has been productive lately. Even Hanley is growing on me. But again, too early to get excited.

Poor Jake Arrieta gives up a two run double, then proceeds to blatantly bean Kang high up on the back with the next pitch (his first hit batter of the season). Gotta love the entitlement of these Cubs...

30 minutes ago, Triskan said:

It blows my mind that the Time Warner and Direct TV fight over the Dodgers is still going on.  I will be attending St. Louis @ L.A. tonight; which I pretty much must do in order to see L.A. 

It's nuts.  I live less than an hour from Busch Stadium, and thanks to MLB.tv I have access to every Dodger game while the vast majority of my Dodger-loving extended family, who live within an hour or so of Dodger Stadium, are screwed.  I know at least one of my cousins would have switched providers specifically to watch the Dodgers, but he can't even get TWC where he lives.

David Ortiz tripled to tie the game in the bottom of the 9th and then doubled in the 11th to drive home the winning run, and got mobbed by the team on second base. Great moment. Great finish to a very entertaining game. This is why grown-ass men across the country call him "Papi."

Archived