Where to start with Rush

davos

I've been aware of Rush (the band) for many years and have always told myself I should give them a listen.  I know a lot of people who's tastes I like that also like them.  I also am to understand that this is a band that one can form an educated opinion on without putting some effort into listening to them.  This is a problem as they have a rather massive catalog with several stylistic shifts along the way.  Its also my understanding that, as is the case with many prolific artists, that they have several efforts that are not up to their usual standards.  

As know that there are several Rush fans that frequent these forums, my questions is this: where does the neophyte best put their effort to get a handle on what this band is about?  Advise would be most welcome.  

'Moving Pictures' is the classic Rush entry album, I suppose, but I would go a different route and recommend instead that you get any of their live albums. This may be influenced by the fact that I'm listening to the classic 'Working Man/Finding My Way' medley from 'All The World's A Stage' as I type, but I think it's a really great way to survey the band's range while at the same time showcasing one of their biggest attractions: the fact that they're such fantastically talented musicians capable of playing in such a tight, skillful unit.

Of course this does mean you will be exposed to an eight minute drum solo but for you,, I think that's probably not going to be an issue. ;)

2 hours ago, mormont said:

but I think it's a really great way to survey the band's range while at the same time showcasing one of their biggest attractions: the fact that they're such fantastically talented musicians capable of playing in such a tight, skillful unit.

To me that's their greatest strength and primary attraction. A really talented power trio brings a tightness and conciseness that a four piece plus band simply cannot attain. 

Moving Pictures is a good entry point. More commercial than the 70s stuff but still RAWK enough compared to what followed in the 80s. If you're more inclined to keyboards, the best bets would be Grace Under Pressure, Signals, and Power Windows. If you want to experience the more proggy, epic Rush go back to A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Moving Pictures, and 2112. All of the albums recorded after Neal's return to music, I think Clockwork Angels is the best. They went back to recording songs that were somewhat epic in length and finally ditched the tendency to lope along at mid-tempo. There's some moments on CA that are just FIERCE.

I listen to more live Rush than the studio stuff these days - in part because I played the studio albums to death. I've got several boots that are just full of piss and vinegar. Of the official live releases, All the World's a Stage just has this hunger about it. Exit Stage Left comes off as a bit stiff in comparison. A Show of Hands is a good summation of the 80s. Different Stages and Rush in Rio summarize what came after. With Rio, they began to release a live album for every tour. The trouble is that tracks the decline of Geddy's voice all too well. I have a real hard time listening to any live Rush after RIo - Ged sounds just strained on any older material and those tempos are slowing up. 

I'm as old as dirt, as I proved long ago in a Zeppelin thread. I'll never forget seeing them for the first time, opening up for Blue Öyster Cult in a small arena in Minot North Dakota. And I damn sure remember Geddy saying, "this is side one from our latest album. This is 2112." And the hall exploded with thunder and lightning. 

I'm a "2112" person. (A fan of the 70's Rush)

If you want to listen to a few albums before enjoying 2112 in all her glory you could go with-

1980 Permanent Waves

1977 A Farewell to Kings

1976 All the Worlds a Stage

1978 Hemisperes

But whatever you choose to start with, it must lead to "2112" or you haven't sampled Rush at all. If you could only listen to two of these I would make it "All the Worlds a Stage" and then "2112". <<< I cannot stress that enough, those two encompass the best range of the 70's Rush sound/style/work imho.

I have no opinion on anything "Post- Tom Sawyer" as I specifically favor this earlier Rush.

13 hours ago, Jerol said:

All of the albums recorded after Neal's return to music, I think Clockwork Angels is the best. They went back to recording songs that were somewhat epic in length and finally ditched the tendency to lope along at mid-tempo. There's some moments on CA that are just FIERCE.

Definitely, although I personally love all the albums recorded in that period. They have technical accomplishment married to a renewed energy. But CA manages to combine the 'modern' Rush with an older sensibility, harking back to the '70s in places without ever being a pastiche.

Archived