Do you get insulted if people don`t like Game of Thrones?

Feologild

This probably should be moved out of the Miscellaneous section into one of the boards actually dealing with Game of Thrones.

But since you phrased this as "Game of Thrones" instead of "A Song of Ice and Fire" -- no, I certainly wouldn't be insulted because I don't watch the TV show any way, I'm just a fan of the books myself. I also wouldn't get insulted if someone said they don't like the books, though, unless they continued on and made some specific criticism that I thought was unfair. Expecting everyone to like what you like is arrogant and narcissistic.

Uh...no? No work of art is universally liked. Even Shakespeare has his critics. I know people who think The Godfather and Shawshank Redemption are trip. People are free to have their opinions.

I do get insulted when people are insulting about their opinion, though. You see a lot of snobbery, where those who believe themselves to be smarter than they are and refined of taste have an emotional reaction to a work of art, decide their opinion is the correct opinion, and view those who disagree with them as stupid plebs.

You find this attitude all the time, particularly on this forum in regard to Game of Thrones. There are people who simply cannot fathom that it's possible to be an intelligent person and like Game of Thrones (like, say, the President of the United States), and when they get analytical about why they think Game of Thrones is bad, and find that those who like it are unpersuaded by their reasons, they make the declaration that the person obviously doesn't understand what they're talking about.

I've had numerous people tell me that Game of Thrones is intellectually vacant and if I like it I must be dumb, and that the only reason I can like Game of Thrones is for the spectacle and the nudity. And there's a cognitive dissonance about it too. Some people who dislike the show can appreciate the subjective nature of all shows, and we discuss things and ultimately agree to disagree - I can respect their opinions and I enjoy the fact they have a difference of opinion because it allows for a stimulating discussion. But there are so many out there who have a total douchebag attitude, and even when they are annihilated in a debate they are unable to recognize it and like rubber bounce back to their original position and ignore that their points had just been disemboweled, and they just get more insulting and condescending.

That attitude is annoying and somewhat frustrating. But, you know...that's just how some people are, I guess.

TL;DR: Anyone is free to have an opinion about anything, but try not to be an asshole about it.

Archived