What is D and D's endgame?

So, they state they have two short seasons of material for GoT left.  These could probably be filmed in one year.  So, what are they up to?

They have not announced a GoT spin-off on HBO.  Why not?  HBO would pay huge for this.  So, my expectation is after they finish the filming for this show, they announce some huge deal with Disney for films, or Netflix/Amazon for TV, or both.  

3 hours ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

So, they state they have two short seasons of material for GoT left.  These could probably be filmed in one year.  So, what are they up to?

They have not announced a GoT spin-off on HBO.  Why not?  HBO would pay huge for this.  So, my expectation is after they finish the filming for this show, they announce some huge deal with Disney for films, or Netflix/Amazon for TV, or both.  

I remember reading somewhere that Mr Benioff and Mr Weiss have a deal for a film once GoT is over, but I'm not 100%.

To rule the world, obviously.

18 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I don't really understand the question. They are accelerating the pace towards the endgame and have been for a while. Think they'd rather that than drag it all out forever, which might actually not be possible considering production restrictions.

why would they want to do a spin off? What would be the purpose?

This. If anyone wants to drag things out it's HBO (and GRRM).

IIRC they said they'll not be in for a spinoff and HBO - as of now - insists on their involvement.

D&D, in all their wisdom, said that they want to end GOT with giving fans the feeling of "wanting more", that they wish it had not ended. This way D&D can cement their legacy. I think they said this in last week's interview in EW, can look for a link.

The movie rumors are, unfortunately, nothing but that. I bet that there won't be a GOT-movie.

28 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I don't really understand the question. They are accelerating the pace towards the endgame and have been for a while. Think they'd rather that than drag it all out forever, which might actually not be possible considering production restrictions.

why would they want to do a spin off? What would be the purpose?

They own the right to Westeros in visual media, that is worth alot of money.  As they are rushing to finish, I do hope they sell them.

1 minute ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

It seems like they have little to no passion for the story post-rw but have too big of egos to let someone else take over

Agree, that is why I think they sell the rights.

People had been trying for years before D&D to get GRRM to give out his book rights to make films but it wasn't until D&D posing the offer of a TV Series that he changed his mind after asking them who Jon Snow's mother was. I think D&D started out loving what they were doing but then started to become "bored" it'll happen after a while to some people, becoming creatively exhausted towards a certain property. They've been spending years developing this show and keeping their head's in this universe. I think they are unfortunately speeding this up because they are sick of doing this show.

I doubt we are getting movies after the show is over. We may get spin offs or prequels in a television format under new showrunners but I doubt they'll ever be a featured film in theaters, I think HBO learned from their failed Entourage movie that bringing a tv show into a film form usually doesn't print money like they think it would. Yes GoT is one of their most popular TV properties and it would make more money at the box office than Entourage was ever going to, but I doubt it'd make block buster numbers and make back all the money they'd have to put into it.

I think they are burnt out and want to end the show ASAP.  This is why they are floating the 13 episodes/mini season, it lets HBO market an 8th season and they're only shooting 3 more episodes.  They've been doing this a long time, I believe it IS grueling work, especially since it's my opinion they're not very good at management or delegation, which is why GOT is stressful, always over budget and missing deadlines.

I don't see them being involved in any other GOT projects, they are at their most marketable now, and want to cash in on that and do some different projects.  It remains to be seen if those will be similarly successful or not.

8 minutes ago, Ben H'gahr said:

IIRC they said they'll not be in for a spinoff and HBO - as of now - insists on their involvement.

D&D, in all their wisdom, said that they want to end GOT with giving fans the feeling of "wanting more", that they wish it had not ended. This way D&D can cement their legacy. I think they said this in last week's interview in EW, can look for a link.

The movie rumors are, unfortunately, nothing but that. I bet that there won't be a GOT-movie.

I don't know if you're referring to my post, but in case are and just to clarify, I didn't mean a GoT film at all.

I mean, even I can think of interesting ways to extend the series.  How about a war between the Dothraki over Dany before she becomes the stallion the rides the world? Why not extend the God of the Seven stuff longer and have them create a real army to fight?  

All this in addition to actually reading the books....

Just now, GrapefruitPerrier said:

I mean, even I can think of interesting ways to extend the series.  How about a war between the Dothraki over Dany before she becomes the stallion the rides the world? Why not extend the God of the Seven stuff longer and have them create a real army to fight?  

All this in addition to actually reading the books....

They don't want to extend the series.  Dan and Dave are done with GOT.  They said 7 seasons, then they apparently got convinced to go 8 and now they're back to 7+3 eps.  

3 minutes ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Who's the "they" in this sentence, David & Dan? I thought HBO owned those rights.

Nope, pretty sure GRRM signed them over to D and D, for all of Westeros and Essos - not just ASOIAF.

6 minutes ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

Nope, pretty sure GRRM signed them over to D and D, for all of Westeros and Essos - not just ASOIAF.

Doubtful. If they were to do a second series such as Dunk and Egg there would have to be massive renegotiations.

Archived