[Spoilers] Criticize Without Repercussion

teemo

17 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

It's harder for her to keep the deadpan delivery when it's an actual conversation, so the monologue is helpful to support the vacant imperial stare+deadpanning. As well the monologue is another opp to list her titles...which I started to wonder, is the show doing this now to make her seem silly? or what?  

My pet theory for deadpan is that all of her concentration is focussed on trying to keep her eyebrows under control.

http://acidcow.com/pics/20131008/emily_clark_05.gif

1 hour ago, Tijgy said:

It would best to prepare yourselves for monologues by Bloodraven. Isaac just told in an interview Bloodraven might have lot speech which might look as filler. 

He’s a charming man. There are certain lines that you think are almost fillers, lines you don’t think are imperative to any kind of storytelling, like, “He’s over there.” But when Max von Sydow says it, it sounds like it’s the most important news you’ve ever heard. He just amplifies the sense of creativeness and it’s quite something to stand next to. Even short lines that I would have no clue to how to make sound interesting he does it so effortlessly. And he’s also a completely lovely man.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/27/game-thrones-bran-season-6

Long live the actor?

For the people interested: an article on the nonsense of Theon, Sansa, Brienne and Pod scene: http://www.fandomfollowing.com/game-of-nonsense-week-one/

Well. At least MVS has a great voice.

4 minutes ago, Tianzi said:

Lol, for five seasons of this shows I have never seen her being half as expressive as on this gif.

Look at her in S1 and in her interviews. She's naturally animated and funny. Her scene with McIlhinney wasn't deadpan; her character seemed very engaged. I don't blame her in the least for the deadpan; she's still quite young. I lay that ALL on the directors and writers. They're doing the same kind of weird voodoo to Dany that they've done with Ellaria, Cersei, Brienne, Sansa ... well, really just about all the female characters. Women on top! 

2 minutes ago, TepidHands said:

Look at her in S1 and in her interviews. She's naturally animated and funny. Her scene with McIlhinney wasn't deadpan; her character seemed very engaged. I don't blame her in the least for the deadpan; she's still quite young. I lay that ALL on the directors and writers. They're doing the same kind of weird voodoo to Dany that they've done with Ellaria, Cersei, Brienne, Sansa ... well, really just about all the female characters. Women on top!

I'll look at S1, but the interviews don't count ;) Also, didn't say that I blame her, just what I see.

3 minutes ago, TepidHands said:

Snark aside, I agree with you that even the most talented actors can't do much when all they are given is terrible writing and direction (even the vignette structure of the show works against them). The showrunners even discourage reading the books which would help them better understand their character's motivations and thought processes, and they seem to fob the actors off if they have any questions (see Stephen Dillane's comments). I'm not convinced that Clarke is a talented actress, but it's impossible to tell from this show alone, given what the show saddles her with (I've only seen her in this and the Terminator reboot, where I felt she was miscast).

1 hour ago, Sir Loin Steak said:

Snark aside, I agree with you that even the most talented actors can't do much when all they are given is terrible writing and direction (even the vignette structure of the show works against them). The showrunners even discourage reading the books which would help them better understand their character's motivations and thought processes, and they seem to fob the actors off if they have any questions (see Stephen Dillane's comments). I'm not convinced that Clarke is a talented actress, but it's impossible to tell from this show alone, given what the show saddles her with (I've only seen her in this and the Terminator reboot, where I felt she was miscast).

Just look at Indira Varma between Seasons 4, 5, and 6. It's like Ellaria's got dissociative personality disorder!  I have seen the actress's performances in Rome and Luther, and she's very good. So it has to be the script and direction, because it's certainly not in Martin's books. 

5 hours ago, Sir Loin Steak said:

I can attest that she is equally bad in Triassic Attack. She can't deliver a line without sounding like a character in a Don Hertzfeldt animation... "I am a banana!" ... I swear, sometimes all a casting director needs to hear is a British accent to think you're Laurence fucking Olivier. 

8 hours ago, TepidHands said:

They're doing the same kind of weird voodoo to Dany that they've done with Ellaria, Cersei, Brienne, Sansa ... well, really just about all the female characters. Women on top! 

Indeed.

To answer the question...

"Women on Top" was the tag line of a series EW covers on female characters in Game of Thrones.

The covers and the obvious double entendre, and the show's poor handling of female characters...

And in light of this episode, where for Sansa, Brienne, Dany, Cersei, and Ellaria it's more like "Kill the men"...

/we are saying "women on top" in jest

5 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

"Women on Top" was the tag line of a series EW covers on female characters in Game of Thrones.

The covers and the obvious double entendre and the show's poor handling of female characters...

And in light of this episode, where for Sansa, Brienne, Dany, Cersei, and Ellaria is more like "Kill the men"...

/we are saying "women on top" in jest

What's sad is in the little clip with the article the actresses all seem charming and so capable of so much more than what they are given, especially Emilia and Sophie.  I haven't seen Emilia in outside interviews before and she seemed quite charming.  Shame they couldn't allow for their personalities to come through on the show.

I will likely never get through this thread (35 pages atm), but thank you all.  This has been cleansing after watching that episode.

Some writer described badly written "enpowered" female characters as simply scantily clad and violent.  That came to mind here.  I also thought of the jewel thieves in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.  " Two reasons. One: we're walking, talking, bad girl cliches. "

22 hours ago, Shortspear Rick said:

I can attest that she is equally bad in Triassic Attack. She can't deliver a line without sounding like a character in a Don Hertzfeldt animation... "I am a banana!" ... I swear, sometimes all a casting director needs to hear is a British accent to think you're Laurence fucking Olivier. 

I must bring up Terminator again.  She was terrible in that.  I've never thought she was a great actress or anything, or had any kind of major range, but I was really surprised that not only was she 'not good' 'not showing movie star charisma' but she was bad, hard to watch bad.

At least Kit, who also ain't no Lawrence Olivier, I thought improved significantly after his trip to Hollywood, he certain has the action choreography down...I was sort of interested to see if Emilia would seem to have benefited from being in a big budget movie, but she's same as she ever was.

And I have to say it, she loses 95% of the presence she has when the blonde wig is gone, then she's just another pretty brunette with questionable acting ability.

On 4/27/2016 at 9:24 PM, WolfQueenArya said:

Soo...re-watched the episode again and noticed something that has me really annoyed! Sophie's name is separate now. But Maisie is not! Maisie deserves her own spot! Arya is one of the top important/main characters! They have made Sansa more important than Arya now when that is not the case in the books! (IMO). Is anyone else annoyed by this? Or am I then only one? Maisie better get her own in the last seasons...

I think they are building Sophie/Sansa up to an eventual fall.   Making her seem important as a ruse.   It is freedom to fill space that Martin has left them with his story in the books.     

You know, I find the show helps me appreciate the books more. The whole river-crossing thing made me think of Sansa's escape with Dontos. Didn't she also have a panic attack when he asked her to climb down the cliff? But I re-read it. What really happens is that Sansa, at first, doesn't know there's a ladder carved in there, so she freaks out because, if even Bran could fall while climbing a cliff, there's no way she can safely get down. Then she asks Dontos if there's an alternate, safer path. When he says there isn't, she tells him to climb down first--she knows he's drunk, and she's smart enough to worry he might drop down on her head. Yeah, she's scared and doubtful, but her concerns are practical and grounded in fact. If the river scene was meant to parallel that, it should read like this.

Theon: We must cross the river!

Sansa: Are you crazy? We might drown or get hypothermia?

Theon: We must!

Sansa: (scared) We can't! Isn't there another way?

Theon: No! Dogs!

Sansa: You go first, then, and start a fire on the other side so we can dry our clothes!

Like, this is way closer to who she was in the books. Stop acting like you're giving her her agency back, Show, when you took it away in the first place. 

Archived