[spoilers] What You Liked/The Positivity Thread

HexMachina

The Dothraki dude looked exactly like a guy I went to school with.. Lol. I have to find that guy and see if theyare the same...

Tyrion - Varys duo.. Alwayls loved it. I like when there is high intellect. Similar to the Darker (vaeys-baelish) and (varys-oberyn)

I loved reek - sansa fleeing. It kept me tensed.

The following are moments of pleasure for me:

v Brienne and Pod find and then rescue Sansa and Theon from the Flayed Men of Bolton.

v The episode opens at Castle Black with the howling of Jon’s direwolf Ghost.

v Davos discovers Jon’s corpse and has the forethought to bring the wolf to Jon.

v Davos sends a brother to the wildlings for help in fighting off Thorne and company.

v The anticipated speech ala Brutus after Caesar’s assassination is given to Thorne, not Bowen Marsh. [Later, Tormund will give an impassioned speech modeled after Marc Antony’s in Shakespeare’s Caesar].

v Mel’s magical glamor exposed aligns with the novels and Arya’s sharp eye for perceiving beyond such theatrics. 

v Arya needs to intern with the mummers on the show to make her magical powers believable for the viewers.

v After watching all of Season 5 before the first episode of Season 6, much has been foretold:  yes, Arya will animate the Titan of Braavos and make it move at some point, and for some purpose, before she leaves for Westeros.

v Sansa’s affinity for birds and air has also been hinted at in the show, as has been Arya’s association with water.

Sadly, Sansa’s warg nature should have repelled the dogs hunting her scent.  An oversight that could be dismissed because she lost her wolf

I was very touched by the scene between Sansa and Brienne. It was particularly bittersweet because young Sansa's daydreams were filled with gallant knights saving noblewomen in distress and romance blossoming between them.

She's been married to a dwarf (whose, fine qualities, it must be said, she was incapable of appreciating), and a sadist. Her first knight is female and they're both straight.

Poignant.

Seaworth asking for mu'on.

The Melisandre shocker.

Also loved the costumes. Roose Bolton's fine blue leather doublet, the embroidery on Cersi and Ellaria's dresses.

I really enjoyed the episode as an appetiser, it's made me want more and I'm excited to see characters that were missing like Bran and Sam

I'm hoping the whole Dornish disaster ends soon, kill the rest off and be done with it.

Also...go Pod...I let out a little cheer when he stabbed that guy! Can't wait for the Sansa revolution to begin.

What I liked:

• The entire northern arc; Ramsay giving us a glimpse of humanity, and then snatching it away when he told the maester to feed Myranda to the hounds; Theon and Sansa's escape, particularly their hug - I cannot recall the last time someone genuinely hugged her (and I am so not counting Littlefinger) - it was probably Anya Waynwood at the end of season 4; Brienne proving to Sansa that she was worthy of serving a Stark and that she was someone to be reckoned with; I hate Thorne, but I believe that he thinks he did the right thing (don't agree!) and that he did what he did because he believed it to be the best course of action for the Night's Watch; Davos, Edd and the rest loyal to Jon (I re-watched season 5 over the weekend, and although I am not 100% certain, think that at least some of those in the room with Davos were at Hardhome and therefore witnessed the massacre that took place there); Melisandre and the scene most book readers have been expecting for a while; Pod defending the woman he probably still perceives as Tyrion's wife. 
  • While bookCersei and showCersei have not always matched up, I defy anyone to deny the talent of Lena Headey. She is an amazing actress and the look on her face when she realized that it was Myrcella's corpse that was returning to her was heartbreaking. I am really looking forward to the KL plot this season, and she is the main reason why. 
  • Tyrion and Varys make a really good TV double act. Their sense of humors align, and they both understand the political side of the world that they live in. Some of my favorite past scenes are of the two of them together, and I hope we see more of it moving forward. Varys is a great foil to Tyrion, and one of the few that believes in him (something I think that Tyrion needs).
  • I am so psyched for Arya's arc this season! I have my hopes for the next few episodes based on AFFC, but based on tonight, I think we saw a vulnerability to Arya that hasn't always been evident.  I think that show-wise, she has always had some sort of protector following Ned's execution. First it was Yoren, then Gendry, and then Sandor. When Arya left Sandor for dead, she assumed Jaqen would take up that role, and thought he had - until the scene in the Hall of Faces at the end of season 5 when she was blinded.  For the first time, I think showArya feels entirely alone. And I cannot wait to see how that plays out!!!
  • Given the lack of Tyrell involvement in KL at the end of last season, I was pleased that we checked in with Margaery. I would like to see Loras, as the trailer shows him as heading for broken, but one Tyrell will do in an action-packed ep.1! Also have to add, with the High Sparrow's comments, that I think he may try to manipulate Margaery as much as I think she may wish to manipulate him. 
  • Jorah and Daario may seem a bizarre adventure, but I like their brutally honest discussion on Daenerys. They both love her, and both want to protect her. But ultimately, I think that deep down (in spite of Daario saying in season 5 she should marry him and not HIzdahr) both Jorah and Daario know that when Daenerys returns to Westeros, she will have to marry someone to cement her rule there. She cannot marry for love, for all that the marriage she and Drogo had turned into that. 

I liked Cersei a lot, and Lena was perfect, despite hating her character.

I liked Arya (not the waif) and Braavos. (the location was the best thing).

I liked Dany with the Khal, when she says she won't have a baby (the first part about she being naked is horrible)

I liked Jorah, just because it's Jorah and he is Lord Friendzone :wub:

I liked that Brienne has taught Pod how to fight offscreen. They are a superhero team.

Alliser Thorne. Owen Teale does a tremendous job every time out and keeps getting better imo.

Also like that Davos is poised to breakout as a leader and have a big impact in the North/Wall storyline. 

The opening shot of the episode coming in on Castle Black from the wall to Jon while Ghost is howling.

Davos throughout the episode.

Dolorous Edd getting nice screen time and lines.

Theon hugging Sansa was one of the kindest and sweetest moments of the show.

The whole fealty scene was very nicely done. 

Ellaria speech to a dying Doran was very good.  Indira Varma did great in the scene.

Tyrion mistating that he wanted to eat the baby.

Jorah and Daario is a nice pairing.

It is very nice to have the Dorthraki back. 

It is known

Melissandre reveal is going to be one of the show iconic moments.

Cinematography was better than usual for the most part. Lena was excellent as usual playing her version of Cersei. The music is great. A few of the attempted jokes actually hit the mark, which makes a handy change from last season. The Mel reveal was interesting but I'd have preferred it to have ended on the mirror shot with the aged face in it.

I liked Davos. He's one of the few characters I'm still enjoying. Liam just brings something special to the role. Maybe it's the rare sincerity and goodness of the character.

Archived