Orphan Black 3: So, sometimes stuff just works out[SPOILERS]

RedEyedGhost

Binge watched season 4 Tuesday and Wednesday.  Woo!  That was tense.  It was an excellent season, and way darker in some ways. Alison wasn't comic relief, though Donny did his best to sub for that, and in an odd way, so did Helena as she subbed as Alison when the cops come to the Hendricks'.  There were no Klone Klub Kumbya scenes of eating, dancing and drinking and / or reunion. The new one, MK's still out in the cold and evidently dying. Krystal flatly dismisses she's related in any way to Sarah. Instead, the season finale ended on a cliff hanger.

There was so much to appreciate.  Among my particular appreciations is how the writers redeemed sticking in the seemingly useless (innocent, Neolution calls them?) and dim Krystal, who isn't really dim at all.  She was the true comic relief in this season, but authentically a Leda.  She's a spectacularly successful character, i.e. yet another unique Leda, herself and herself only, like the others.  She even seems voluptuous in figure in a way that Sarah isn't, just as Cosima is ill-thin, as Sarah isn't.

This season Maslany, particularly as Sarah, Alison and Krystal, looked stretched, i.e. exhausted, as well she might be after 4 full seasons of doing what she does.  I'm so glad the producers et. al are being smart and cutting it off after 5 seasons. It is enough.  Any more will ruin what they made, the very best Science Fiction ever to hit the screen, filled with meaningful content while vastly entertaining, and with a great actor.  And let us not forget Maria Doyle Kennedy.  Has there ever been an actress who is so convincing carrying a rifle, threatening torture -- and doing it --  and being the nurturing, caring and even strict mom, all at the same time?  Gads, she's good. The show would be so much less without her.  Also less without the actress who plays Kira.

I do hope the final season will provide an explanation for Kira's visions, and her sense in particular of the sistrahs and their whereabouts and feelings.

I read all your comments here while season 4 was running and I wasn't seeing it.  What's also interesting to me, in terms of the writing, is that while I've seen all the previous episodes, nothing recapped about Season 4 made any sense until I was able to watch it myself.  Then, watching it, it all made sense (mostly :) ). Good writing, all you Orphan Black writers.  You get 10 more . . . . 

There was a bit -- a very bitty bit -- in one of the last episodes, when Cosima arrives at Dr. Susan's Duncan's house, where she's on a sofa, a glass of red wine in hand.  "Welcome," she says, "to the Island of Dr. Moreau."  Or something like that -- I don't recall the exact words other the "welcome," "island," and "Dr. Moreau" ones.

Is this telling us what and where will be centered the action of the final season, season 5?

If so, that's pretty darned cool.  Actually, if Dr. Duncan's Island of Dr. Moreau reference doesn't mean anything more than what it signifies in that brief bit, it's also very cool.

Next season pretty much has to focus on the island, at least to begin with. Cosima, Dephine, Charlotte and Sarah are all there, with Cosima in with the Neolutionists. Rachel is still there, the Neolutionists camp is there. I imagine the island will be the main stage for at the very least the first couple of episodes, but probably longer

Yah, I can't imagine how they'd get off that island without at least 2 episodes.  Aren't more of Our Friends also heading there?  Or trying to?

What a terrific series this has been.  I'm sure the final season will blow our sox off.  If Maslany is tired or over-stretched from playing so many Ledas, each one different and unique to herself, as it felt a smidgeon in this season (to me, anyway), she will have her mojo back in spades, knowing this is the final and The End, so there will be energy pouring out like lava from Vesuvius.

I will miss them of course, but it is the right decision.

• 2 months later...

Season 5 has started filming (I think it was sometime in the last couple of weeks it started) and news is trickling out. The expected cast members are returning, and a few new cast members have been announced, including the guy who will play Westmoreland (I'll tag to be careful) Will also mention a couple of other spoiler-y bits in the tag

Stephen McHattie. 

Other roles: Elyse Levesque as Detective Engers, a Neolution Cop

Andrew Moodie as Mr Frontenac, Rachel's consultant

Simu Liu as Mr Mitchell, Kira's new homeroom teacher (I guess this is something of a spoiler considering she was last seen as hostage of Ferdinand)

Jessica Grant as Mud, a young islander.

Was also a livestream on set today. They were shooting Helena (still pregnant) hunting in the woods (and it looked as though she was avoiding someone who was looking for her) 

I bailed on the livestream before they shot that, because it didn't look like anything was going on.   Will have to go back and check that scene out.

Also, we didn't have a collective woo-hoo! for Tatiana Maslany's Emmy win.  WOO-HOO!

15 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

I bailed on the livestream before they shot that, because it didn't look like anything was going on.   Will have to go back and check that scene out.

Also, we didn't have a collecting woo-hoo! for Tatiana Maslany's Emmy win.  WOO-HOO!

WOO HOO!

Because of time differences I watched the live stream when it wasn't live :P so I did skip over bits. It's not until after halfway they start shooting.

(The livestream and casting stuff has been popping up on their FB page and I assume it will be on their twitter thing too)

• 3 months later...

Yes, usually April or late March -- same time as GOT starts, but of course that will be later as well.

From wikipedia:

Season Episodes Originally aired
First aired Last aired
  1 10 March 30, 2013 June 1, 2013
  2 10 April 19, 2014 June 21, 2014
  3 10 April 18, 2015 June 20, 2015
  4 10 April 14, 2016 June 16, 2016

3 hours ago, Arkash said:

Later than usual, if I remember correctly. Didnt previous seasons started around April / May ?

Yeah. But I mentioned this to someone else, the filming seemed to start fairly late last year, late in October. So I wasn't expecting the series in April. It would make actually filming and then post-production very rushed.

eta: it's been pointed out that the show is back on a A Saturday for its final season. Anyone got the ratings from last year see how it fared?

• 1 month later...

Archived