Orphan Black 3: So, sometimes stuff just works out[SPOILERS]

RedEyedGhost

Even when she broke into the video call on the laptop, I thought there was something... off, with Alison. I wondered for a moment if it was just a rare slip in Tatiana's performance, or some hint of nefarious skulduggery by Neolution, but no. Alison's just been discovering herself. :P

On 24/07/2017 at 8:51 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

A Rachel-centric episode was always going to be excellent, but this surpassed my expectations. The flashbacks were very insightful and showed how her experience growing up considering herself as simply the possession of others influenced how she is now. Loved the scenes cutting between PT giving her possession of herself (which, ew, so disgusting, but obviously it's hugely important for Rachel given her upbringing) and her realisation that it's all a lie. Have to say that I thought from almost the beginning of the episode she would end up helping Kira escape, but the fact that was obvious didn't detract from the episode at all.

Alison's return was weird. "Liver deep" :rofl: 

Nice to see the return of Mark and Gracie. Interesting to see what happens with each of them (and how Gracie found Helena).

That last scene :stunned::blink: @karaddin good luck with this one :lol: Not going to lie, I actually curled myself up into a ball cringing watching it. 

Eta: very interesting. Their promo for next week contains no footage of next week at all. Spoiler-y I guess?

I saw the notification pop up before watching the episode and clicked it without thinking, so I knew there was something gross coming at the end of the episode. Naturally this meant as soon as Rachel found that monitor of PTs I knew what that something gross was going to be.

ew ew ew ew just no. Leave the eyes alone!

Aside from that...that was a superb episode of television. Cosima reuniting with the geeks was very :grouphug: I almost wanted Rachel to go with Sarah, but it wouldn't fit the character. She will stay, and fight, and she's probably the Leda that doesn't get to find a happy ending in her redemption. Very worried about poor Helena now Gracie is there to fuck with her.

That was probably my favorite episode of the season.  Most of the rest of the episode has felt very disjointed, but getting everybody back together for this one was amazing.  Especially Felix's show, so good.  Scott's buddy getting up and at the end of the show was great, and looking him up right now on imdb, it appears that the character name is Hell Wizard :lol:  How did I not know that??  Fucking Ferdinand though.  Glad to see him get shot in the throat though.  It will be interesting to see if Siobhan survives.  They set it up with her 14% and Sarah realizing she was gone, but... I'm not sure that she does with Felix actually recognizing her positive influence on his and Sarah's lives, it's the clichéd time for her to bow out.  

I'll just go ahead and quote what I wrote in the Turn thread here too.

59 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Only two more weeks :(  Should be a helluva ride though!

I saw the headlines on facebook, but fortunately they didn't mention which character dies.  I watched it all the while thinking at any moment that the character I was looking at then would be the one, "no no no not him!   wait, no no no, not her!" eventually for every single character.  Mrs. S was the most obvious one, but I thought that might be misdirection.  Everyone else had a moment where it seemed the show was foreshadowing it was them.

Good shot, Mrs. S.

Now to rescue Helena.

The actress who plays Charlotte made this:

Hell Wizard's rap:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CloneClub.OrphanBlack/permalink/1616929405018071/

From Felix's big speech, to Cosima's (happy) tearful breakdown, from Gracie's terrible dilemna to Helena's always so eerie and menacing presence and words, from Rachel's pain and choice to Ferdinand's end, from Kira meeting Charlotte to the seestras showing off for the gallery and finally to that beautiful, tragic and breakhearting ending, well that was an epic rollercoaster.

The end of that story is shaping up to be magnificent. 

This season has not had enough Felix, but honestly there can probably never be too much Felix.

Kira meeting Charlotte was so sweet. Really loved that.

Ferdinand getting shot in the throat rules. S dying was, in one sense of the word, predictable, in that you knew it was coming before it happened: but not in the bad sense, of something uninspired. It's fitting that she should be the one to take Ferdinand out: the episode sets it all up so well, from Felix's speech to the denouement. And no, I don't think there's any chance she's coming back from that.

Gracie going out hurt too, because of the manner of it. Cruel. I hope Helena avenges her.

Best episode of the season so far?

12 hours ago, mormont said:

This season has not had enough Felix, but honestly there can probably never be too much Felix.

Kira meeting Charlotte was so sweet. Really loved that.

Ferdinand getting shot in the throat rules. S dying was, in one sense of the word, predictable, in that you knew it was coming before it happened: but not in the bad sense, of something uninspired. It's fitting that she should be the one to take Ferdinand out: the episode sets it all up so well, from Felix's speech to the denouement. And no, I don't think there's any chance she's coming back from that.

Gracie going out hurt too, because of the manner of it. Cruel. I hope Helena avenges her.

Best episode of the season so far?

I preferred last week's episode. But this was still great. 

Not much more to add, apart from I'm glad I didn't imagine her name was Gracie. Netflix has her as Chrissy in the subtitles. 

Eta: also Cosima's cute laugh as she and Delphine uploaded was wonderful

Even with Helena getting captured, I knew too much had gone right for this far out from the end so was expecting things to go badly with S, and she's definitely the role of the mentor that dies and leaves her chickens to take flight for themselves having finally grown up (look at how mature Felix and Sarah have managed to become in different ways this season, while still being very themselves in others). I loved the show, particularly Cosima as Metis/Wisdom and Sarah as Athena/War, I wonder if that specific take on those archetypes had been in mind all along (along with Hestia for Alison and whoever each of the others were).

14 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

That was a damn fine episode, I'd say.

Absolutely. This whole season has even brilliant, but the last few weeks has been strength after strength.

Mark's death was surprisingly moving. For all Coady is (well...was) an evil woman there was some small part of her that cared for her boys. Not enough to turn against PT/John, but it made the scene better having hat mothering side to her. 

Helena's flashbacks were good, and it was great seeing how she met Tomas. And got her peroxide blonde hair. Would I be correct in assuming that is the cause of her puffy red eyes and so on too? 

There has been quite a lot to be squeamish over this season. This episode wasn't quite as difficult on that front but still, Helena's slicing her wrists was enough to leave me genuinely frightened for her survival. And I hated Coady so much after her comments on Helena as a mother and putting her in that emotional state. 

The finale should be good. Is it just standard length, does anyone know? I'm not sure 40 minutes is enough to wrap everything up satisfactorily. But I have great faith in this show so I'm sure it will turn out well.

So far this is probably the best season, imo. Glad to see them go out on a high

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The finale should be good. Is it just standard length, does anyone know? I'm not sure 40 minutes is enough to wrap everything up satisfactorily. But I have great faith in this show so I'm sure it will turn out well.

So far this is probably the best season, imo. Glad to see them go out on a high

Yeah... this season has been terrific... and what surprises me is that this show started out strong.... dipped in the middle... and then picked itself back up.... normally when a show starts to slide there's no coming back... So well done to the showrunner for righting the ship...

Newest episode was great. I've complained about less character-centric episodes this season. I thought last season was great due to all the Beth background. The best seasons are the ones which prioritize characters over plot. I think this final season has done the opposite. I just don't care about Neolution. I want to see these characters work through their baggage -- especially because it's the final season.

Best episode of the season was the Rachel one because it was what I wanted to see. This one just falls short, but still really good.

My favorite thing about it was them digging up Helena's dirty laundry. I've been a critic of the character's white-washing. I think previous seasons started to portray Helena as lovable and quirky, forgetting the fact that this girl has a lot of blood on her hands. Yeah, she was brainwashed and is just as much a victim, but she still killed innocents. I'm not saying it makes her a bad character, because I love Rachel -- also a killer -- but I think it needs to be woven back into Helena's arc.

I think it's weird that they didn't use the same young girl for the Helena flashbacks. Helena is a clone -- she should look like all the other girls. I'm assuming they went with the new girl because she spoke Russian...?

As the series winds down, my clone power rankings:

1. Beth

2. Rachel

3. Krystal

4. Sarah

5. Helena

6. Alison

7. Cosima

Another excellent episode. I'm not sure we really needed the secret origin of Helena's hairstyle, but I do like the idea that since she must have been maintaining it over the years she has presumably reclaimed it as a sort of defiance?

I genuinely thought we would be losing Helena, which would be sad but I could cope if it didn't involve losing her babies too. Mark's death was inevitable: actually Gracie's made me sadder, though at least Mark didn't know about that. I will be upset if they kill Art, and I feel like they're setting that up. And Jordan Gavaris knocked yet another scene out of the park with the eulogy to S. How great is he? I mean, Tatiana deservedly gets praised for what she does, but the supporting cast are amazing too. Josh Vokey, Kristian Bruun, and of course Maria Doyle Kennedy. So good.

Finale next week but I won't get to watch it till Monday - convention stuff!

4 minutes ago, mormont said:

Another excellent episode. I'm not sure we really needed the secret origin of Helena's hairstyle, but I do like the idea that since she must have been maintaining it over the years she has presumably reclaimed it as a sort of defiance?

I genuinely thought we would be losing Helena, which would be sad but I could cope if it didn't involve losing her babies too. Mark's death was inevitable: actually Gracie's made me sadder, though at least Mark didn't know about that. I will be upset if they kill Art, and I feel like they're setting that up. And Jordan Gavaris knocked yet another scene out of the park with the eulogy to S. How great is he? I mean, Tatiana deservedly gets praised for what she does, but the supporting cast are amazing too. Josh Vokey, Kristian Bruun, and of course Maria Doyle Kennedy. So good.

Finale next week but I won't get to watch it till Monday - convention stuff!

Agreed on the supporting cast. I also loved Jordan Gavaris last week too. And did you see his boots last week? :o 

Yeah, the wardrobe department are always on point too. And I was just thinking last night how I like the score. Pretty much everything about this series is great, in fact!

14 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

I think it's weird that they didn't use the same young girl for the Helena flashbacks. Helena is a clone -- she should look like all the other girls. I'm assuming they went with the new girl because she spoke Russian...?

I was wondering about this as well.

9 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Newest episode was great. I've complained about less character-centric episodes this season. I thought last season was great due to all the Beth background. The best seasons are the ones which prioritize characters over plot. I think this final season has done the opposite. I just don't care about Neolution. I want to see these characters work through their baggage -- especially because it's the final season.

Best episode of the season was the Rachel one because it was what I wanted to see. This one just falls short, but still really good.

My favorite thing about it was them digging up Helena's dirty laundry. I've been a critic of the character's white-washing. I think previous seasons started to portray Helena as lovable and quirky, forgetting the fact that this girl has a lot of blood on her hands. Yeah, she was brainwashed and is just as much a victim, but she still killed innocents. I'm not saying it makes her a bad character, because I love Rachel -- also a killer -- but I think it needs to be woven back into Helena's arc.

As the series winds down, my clone power rankings:

1. Beth

2. Rachel

3. Krystal

4. Sarah

5. Helena

6. Alison

7. Cosima

Really? This season is easily the most character focused for me. Each clone has had an episode that focused on who they are as individuals - Alison at the Church fair, Cosima at the dinner party, Krystal falling arse first into Neo dirt, Rachel's history, Sarah working out her troubled history with S (over the entire season), Helena's history. This season has been very character focused, but what makes it so great is that the character work has been integrated perfectly with the plot so things don't stagnate. I certainly wouldn't say Season 4 was more character focused

Archived