What did this episode spoil about AsoIaF/tWoW? [Spoilers]

Attitude

Absolutely nothing.

While it wouldn't surprise me to find Doran killed in the books, it won't happen as soon or at the hands of anywhere near the same people.  If it happens, it'll be at the machinations and hands of Dark Star.

The Wall is in a much different state.  What we're seeing in the show is an end to the Night's Watch at the hands of the Wildlings.  That's not going to happen in the books.  The situation is much more chaotic there, but Jon also integrated the two sides across most of the Wall by the time he's killed, so it would take a massive uprising and inter-wall war for one side to completely trump the other.

In the books Sansa is in the Vale, Theon was recovered by Stannis, Brienne never made it north of the Riverlands and linked up with the BWB and, later, Jaime, and the Boltons are expected to lose the Battle for Winterfell.  So...yeah, nothing really spoiler-heavy on that front.

Arya is still beyond where she's at here, and her training in the books is much different.  The books recognize they're trying to make her into an assassin, in the show they're equating assassin with badass so they're giving her generic blind combat training.  It's juvenile.

Mereen in the books is under siege with Barristan in charge while Varys is back in King's Landing keeping up the chaos factor.  I think that's all I need say about how much this episode spoiled for the books.

King's Landing...well nothing really happened in the show to spoil anything, keeping in mind that two of the characters featured here, Jaime and Trystane, aren't there in the books, Trystane not existing and Jaime having long been in the Riverlands.

The only thing remotely the same is Dany and that's only because she is found by the Dothraki.  Nothing which happened is outside expectation, though I very much doubt it ends the same.

1 hour ago, PCK said:

What about what Roose said to Ramsay in regards to rebelling against the Lannisters? Dustin tells Theon that she believes he is up to something more in ADWD.

Nah. It won't really matter. Ramsay and Roose are dying this season and I believe the Boltons will lose the battle of Winterfell 

1 hour ago, PCK said:

What about what Roose said to Ramsay in regards to rebelling against the Lannisters? Dustin tells Theon that she believes he is up to something more in ADWD.

Nah. It won't really matter. Ramsay and Roose are dying this season and I believe the Boltons will lose the battle of Winterfell 

1 hour ago, PCK said:

Not really sure but i was wondering: Does Ghost howl in the show before or was he "mute" like in the books?

Because i always thought (atleast in the books) that Ghost making sounds could be a sign that he is warged by Jon and i kinda think that Jon warged him when/while he died, so there is that.

I knew that Mel was ancient, I just thought her magic or her god maintained her beauty, I didn't think it was glamour. Now, that I think about - it is most likely spoiler from the book with all the hints given about her glamouring Mance with her ruby.

I believe that scene is the spoiler from the books just as Land of Always Winter was a spoiler from the books too.

Dorne was just D&D cleaning up after themselves, but I was always pretty sure that Arianne will die in the next book and thus lead the Dorne conspiracy and Doran scheming to naught, except for the case of Sand Snakes in the King's Landing. 

The other storylines - Sansa, Boltons, Maureen, Cersei/Jaime are different enough that anything they do cannot be a spoiler in the books.

After reading Arianne I from TWOW, and comparing it to the Dornish hot mess...
There is no way that the books and show are related any more.
Even if something similar or the same happens in S6 and TWOW, I won't care because it will have context and things that make sense behind it.

Pretty much confirmed to me that Areo Hotah is not gonna survive Darkstar, Obara and Balon Swann encounter (with Darkstar and Obara surviving).

Also, I think that there will be some parallels of Doran dying in the show and the books: he died hearing the news of Trystane's murder - I think he will die once he hears the news of Quentyn dying in Mereen - not because of stabbing, but because of poor health.

And Arianne and Sand Snakes taking over the control of Dorne just like Ellaria did in the show.

Also, the show kinda spoiled to me that Davos will be on his way to the Wall after he brings Rickon to Manderlys, possibly to retrieve Stannis' family only to learn of Shireen's sacrifice and witness resurrection of Jon Snow.

15 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

Regarding Dany,

We have to keep in mind a couple of things: one is that when Dany is found by the Dothraki at the end of A Dance With Dragons she has Drogon with her, so Khal Jhaqo shouldn't be able to seize her. Another is that the action in Meereen is behind Dany's: Viserion and Rhaegal are still in the dungeons, no ironborn at sight, no battle to be seen,...

If I were to bet, I'd say that bringing her to Kosh Daleen and everything that will happen with Dany this season (or at least in the first part) will be D&D's invention.

My guess would be that she learns something there that helps her control the dragons.  

They can't just stay uncontrollable(and locked in a dungeon) until the end, so something has to give.

I thought it was obvious that Mel was extremely old from the book.

It's possible that Doran and Trystane will die in the books and that Dorne is the proverbial shaggydog story with tons of characters all coming to nothing, but I'm sure it will not be such a hamfisted silly kinslaying fiasco as what we saw on the show.

7 hours ago, Kimbono said:

Not really sure but i was wondering: Does Ghost howl in the show before or was he "mute" like in the books?

Because i always thought (atleast in the books) that Ghost making sounds could be a sign that he is warged by Jon and i kinda think that Jon warged him when/while he died, so there is that.

I don't know about howling, but I do know that Ghost growled at Rast in season 1? When Jon and his posse were trying to intimidate the others into leaving Sam alone. They commented on it once that they tried having Ghost mute, but it didn't play well on screen.

14 hours ago, McAssey said:

I agree.  When we last see Dany in the books she is with Drogon when the Dothraki arrive.  I think it's more likely they will pay homage to her and offer themselves to her service and bring her back to Meereen to join the battle there.

I think the circumstances are a little different but they will get to the same end. The show has to re-establish the Dothraki and the Khal before they bring the dragon into things.

14 hours ago, McAssey said:

Unless she or Drogon executes that khal and takes command of his men.

Possible but part of the plot is surely to show how Danny will handle the situation differently now.

14 hours ago, redeagl said:

Mel is older than SS. She is 400 years old.

I doubt the show cares much. They don't have to ground things in the back story like the books do. 

13 hours ago, Hodor's Aunt said:

But drogon is only a juvenile dragon, injured and the khal has 20.000+ warriors. I don't see her putting up a fight.

I don't think she needs to. A dragon is the ultimate mount. The Khal can't ride Drogon, only Danny, Tyrion and Jon can. (OK maybe Gendry). All Danny needs to do is to demonstrate that she can control the dragon and she has the Khal eating out of her hand. The Dothraki admire power above all.

2 hours ago, Scorpion92 said:

Pretty much confirmed to me that Areo Hotah is not gonna survive Darkstar, Obara and Balon Swann encounter (with Darkstar and Obara surviving).

Also, I think that there will be some parallels of Doran dying in the show and the books: he died hearing the news of Trystane's murder - I think he will die once he hears the news of Quentyn dying in Mereen - not because of stabbing, but because of poor health.

And Arianne and Sand Snakes taking over the control of Dorne just like Ellaria did in the show.

Also, the show kinda spoiled to me that Davos will be on his way to the Wall after he brings Rickon to Manderlys, possibly to retrieve Stannis' family only to learn of Shireen's sacrifice and witness resurrection of Jon Snow.

Then Jon Snow is going to stay for months if Davos is going to see his resurrection. 

Only possible spoiler for the book is the Mel thing, me thinks... and not the she is a lost Targ or Shiera or any of that. The only thing that sticks out (and is still probably true) is that Mel's magic is strong enough to work even when magic had been in decline for a long time. Remember, Thoros' magic only worked AFTER the dragons returned (in both the book and show), but Mel's had worked even before the dragons had returned. I don't think this means she's a Targ, just powerful. Exceptionally powerful, even... but we already knew that.. So.. maybe not spoiler at all, just more confirmation of her power?

Sheesh, all these people yelling that the PRODUCERS GOT IT WRONG because the plot didn't work out the way they hoped. 

Shireen burns, get over it. It wasn't a surprise in the show because the books made it obvious that is where Stannis was headed.

I can't see what the whining about Dorne is all about. Dorne hasn't been on the screen for more than about 30 minutes total. And they iced one of Cersei's kids. People whined about the poison scene with Bronn then we saw the point with Myrcella's death. It was the same at the start of season 5 when people were complaining about the gay sex scene with Loras. The scene that the entire High Sparrow plot is hinged on.

I like the Dorne bits, they are stunning visually and they are establishing the sand snakes as a major threat to the Lannisters. And they have to be busy with something or else they might actually start taking notice of the white walker threat.

The show Sansa plot has actually got to an interesting juncture. Sansa has actually taken charge of something. After being a pawn in other people's schemes, she is now expected to stand on her own feet and to lead. GRRM is surely going to get there eventually. But the show has got us there quicker. And it isn't the travesty that people imagine when you understand that Sansa was originally going to have that plot line in the books and  GRRM introduced fake Arya as an afterthought because he couldn't move the characters about fast enough.

I guess wih Dorne, Doran and Areo will die, and the Martells will fail epically after going all in for Aegon. That isn't too surprising considering they aren't exactly a competent bunch in the books either. I doubt Trystane dies, considering his character is pretty much close to a non entity in the books and also too different.

2 hours ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Then Jon Snow is going to stay for months if Davos is going to see his resurrection. 

I actually expect him to be out for a while, he is not going to be resurrected right at the beginning of Winds of Winter. His skinchanged mind needs to mesh a little with his wolf's.

Archived