Episode 2 - "Home" - Preview

The Dorne Ultimatum

10 hours ago, evita mgfs said:

I am betting on Bran resurrecting his bastard brother in the WF crypts.

I agree with quite a bit of your post, but I suspect the resurrection will take place in the WF godswood - that's the center of the Stark's power. Jon will get dunked in the pool in front of the heart tree. A sacrifice should be involved. That is, if the show does it right.

But yes, Bran doing the resurrection seems to be the most likely outcome. There's lots of book foreshadowing for this as well. Bran the Blessed from Welsh mythology owned a resurrection cauldron. In Russian folklore, the Winged Wolf is a classic fairy donor that uses the Water of Life to resurrect the Prince who has been murdered by his brothers.

17 hours ago, Stangler said:

Sansa is really the only Stark left in play. She will be an important part of rallying the north to take on the Boltons. 

Bran may go Home to the weirwood there, I think that is one of the first things he does in the book.

Sansa is setting out to retake her home from the Boltons.

Tommen wants to get his wife home.

Euron Greyjoy may have come home.

The dragons may be released to escape their prison and come home

I think it may generally point to a theme or the episode may end with a specific scene about home, which points to Sansa declaring her intent to take back WF. Which makes the most sense. 

I agree: the "Home" title most probably refers to a collective desire to "go home". The war has taken its toll on each and every character, and with winter coming everyone just wants it to come to an end and have peace.

Curiously, the words "I want to go home" have been uttered in only a handful of occasions.

Dany - AGOT Daenerys I

Dany looked at Khal Drogo. His face was hard and cruel, his eyes as cold and dark as onyx. Her brother hurt her sometimes, when she woke the dragon, but he did not frighten her the way this man frightened her. "I don't want to be his queen," she heard herself say in a small, thin voice. "Please, please, Viserys, I don't want to, I want to go home."

In this case "Home" is intended as the house with the red door in Braavos, but in subsequent iterations of her desire to "go home" she intends Westeros and the Iron Throne that was stolen from her family. Also, given that most probably we will see her going to Vaes Dothrak in this episode, this might mean that Quaithe's prophecy is close to being fulfilled.

Spoiler

"To go north, you must journey south. To reach the west, you must go east. To go forward you must go back, and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow."

Going back to her "origins", the life with the Dothraki, might be part of this prophecy. She was given to Khal Drogo with nothing but the clothes on her back, and that is how she returns to Vaes Dothrak. The lowest point may well become the point from which upward is the only possible direction.

Catelyn - AGOT Catelyn XI 

"Well, the one is done, and the other forever beyond our reach. I will mourn for Ned until the end of my days, but I must think of the living. I want my daughters back, and the queen holds them still. If I must trade our four Lannisters for their two Starks, I will call that a bargain and thank the gods. I want you safe, Robb, ruling at Winterfell from your father's seat. I want you to live your life, to kiss a girl and wed a woman and father a son. I want to write an end to this. I want to go home, my lords, and weep for my husband."

Spoiler

I don't suppose this will be relevant since the show has left all the LSH plot out of the storyline.

Arya - ACOK Arya III

"I don't care. I want to go home."

Arya's plot arc will still keep her in Braavos for quite some time, I suppose - but still, her "home" is WF.

Sansa - ACOK Sansa VIII 

"I want to go home."

The queen was irritated by that. "You should have learned by now, none of us get the things we want."
For Sansa, "home" is WF - and she seems to be the one pillar around which the re-conquest of WF will rotate.
Bran - ACOK Bran VII

It seemed a long while before they heard anything again. Bran had begun to fear that something had happened to Osha. His brother was squirming restlessly. "I want to go home!" he said loudly.

Little Rickon was extremely distressed when they had to leave home.
Spoiler

He is probably staying with the Umbers, where Sansa might be headed next. So that would be a nice family reunion AND a joining of desires to get their "HOME" back.

Definitely looking forward to what feels like it will be a very nostalgic and heartfelt episode.

Sednonsatiata- Yes i also thought of Quaithes prophesy.... so all Dany needs to do now is pass under the shadow (Asshai) and then on to Westeros at last! Hooray!  :)

I (think) Rickon is staying with the Umbers in the book but in the show they may change it to him staying with Randall Tarly as we already know that Randall appears this season & it may tie in neatly with Sams storyline.

2 hours ago, Ibbison from Ibben said:

I agree with quite a bit of your post, but I suspect the resurrection will take place in the WF godswood - that's the center of the Stark's power. Jon will get dunked in the pool in front of the heart tree. A sacrifice should be involved. That is, if the show does it right.

But yes, Bran doing the resurrection seems to be the most likely outcome. There's lots of book foreshadowing for this as well. Bran the Blessed from Welsh mythology owned a resurrection cauldron. In Russian folklore, the Winged Wolf is a classic fairy donor that uses the Water of Life to resurrect the Prince who has been murdered by his brothers.

I hope that Bran doesn't warg into Jon Snows body. If Jon is going to be resurrected i hope it is still actually him on the inside & not a Bran puppet.... unless it was temporary, say Bran wargs into Jons body and throws himself into the pool, then be re-born as the actual Jon Snow (or Stark etc). Very weird & maybe stupid.... but more unlikely events have happened.

43 minutes ago, Jon Snow Bengal said:

Sednonsatiata- Yes i also thought of Quaithes prophesy.... so all Dany needs to do now is pass under the shadow (Asshai) and then on to Westeros at last! Hooray!  :)

I (think) Rickon is staying with the Umbers in the book but in the show they may change it to him staying with Randall Tarly as we already know that Randall appears this season & it may tie in neatly with Sams storyline.

In the trailer it seemed to me that Sansa was in the same place as Davos, which appeared to be a Mormont castle hall? So maybe that could also be an option, since the Mormonts are Stark bannermen.

(Also, making it more interesting, we have the intersection with defunct Lord Commander Mormont's and Jorah Mormont's storylines, which might shed some new light on those plots. - But it might mean the show would wander too much around, so they probably wouldn't do it.)

My two cents ;)

Maybe I'm thinking too simple about this...but I'm pretty sure nobody is going to give a crap about the NW vows once they witness/watch their murdered commander rise for the dead.  The vows are just words...there are no magical spells or anything woven into them.

Jon's not going to give a rats ass about "his vows" anymore once he's back....regardless of whether or not he's technically still "bound" by them.  Nor do I think the NW is going to put much stock in them either after watching him be re-born.  Just my thoughts.

14 minutes ago, SevasTra82 said:

Maybe I'm thinking too simple about this...but I'm pretty sure nobody is going to give a crap about the NW vows once they witness/watch their murdered commander rise for the dead.  The vows are just words...there are no magical spells or anything woven into them.

Jon's not going to give a rats ass about "his vows" anymore once he's back....regardless of whether or not he's technically still "bound" by them.  Nor do I think the NW is going to put much stock in them either after watching him be re-born.  Just my thoughts.

There was a thread around about the power of the "words" said when taking the Night's Watch vows. The Wall itself has magic woven into it, and the "words" have power.

This Sam quote is a good example of this magic coming into practical action.

"Why?" Meera demanded. "If there's a gate . . ."
"You won't find it. If you did it wouldn't open. Not for you. It's the Black Gate." Sam plucked at the faded black wool of his sleeve. "Only a man of the Night's Watch can open it, he said. A Sworn Brother who has said his words."

2 minutes ago, Drunken_Sailor24 said:

I'm curious to as why this episode is called "Home"

My idea is that we are going to start to see Sansa wanting to take back her home

Yeah, right? My thoughts exactly.

Look above, I tried to put down a list of occurrences of the words "want to go home" from the books, which might shed some light on what to expect from this episode.

2 minutes ago, SedNonSatiata said:

Look above, I tried to put down a list of occurrences of the words "want to go home" from the books, which might shed some light on what to expect from this episode.

As far as Daenerys goes, in the minds of the Dotharki, Vaes Dothrak is her "Home" right now

On ‎25‎.‎04‎.‎2016 at 4:04 PM, queen of meraxes said:

I still can't understand why Jaime is obsessive with Cersei.This divergence from the books seems illogical to me :wacko:

He loves her. Also, their relationship is a bit different in the books - in the books, it has become frostier, they are more distant, and I think he's starting to realise (in the books) that he's been played and manipulated. On the show, Cersei tells him that she told Tywin about herself and Jaime and that she wants to be with him. That's basically her telling him that she loves him - all he ever wanted. The show made Cersei not as bitchy as she is in the books and not nearly half as insane. She's a different character on the show, and while she accuses him of having been away for such a long time (S4), she comes around and seems to truly love him. I don't think she's playing a trick on him there.

Thoros of Myr had to have a crisis of faith in order to be given the power to resurrect Beric Dondarrion. Mel's crisis will either make her strong enough to resurrect Jon, or else she will sacrifice herself in Jon's burning ceremony, just as the burning death of the magic-capable Mirri Maz Duur resulted in Daenerys' firey rebirth and gave life to her dragons. 

Also, don't forget that Mel sacrificed Shireen Baratheon, who had king's blood, and still hasn't really "used" that magic other than having a vision of success on the battlefield. So it's possible no additional sacrifices are necessary. It would be nice to have that horrible death end up meaning something...although I realize that in Martin's world, meaningless death is more the norm.

I also predict Sansa and her company will learn that Jon is dead, or perhaps find the way north blocked by Ramsay, and change course. Instead of heading to the Wall, as Ramsay would expect, they will go to House Manderly (where Davos spends quite some time in the books) or perhaps to Greywater Watch, to meet Howland Reed. 

Everyone assumes that we're going to get the R+L=J story from Bran's visions. I think it would be more interesting for Howland Reed to reveal the story to Sansa, Theon and Brienne.

Important characters they should bring in or bring back: Gendry, Blackfish, Howland Reed, Lord Manderly.

On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 11:53 PM, Neto2350 said:

I think we see Bran towards the end of Ep. 2, he has the TOJ flashback, and the final scene of the episode is Jon's resurrection.

From the synopses I think we do see Bran in Ep 2 but the TOJ won't be until Ep 3.  I expect the resurrection mid-season, ep 5 or 6 or so.

Home synopsis says "Bran trains with the Three-Eyed Raven"; Oathbreaker synopsis says "Bran meets the past"

2 hours ago, SedNonSatiata said:

Sam traveling back to his "home" , sansa wants take her home back, Bran goes back to winterfell in his visions, and Euron comes back to the iron islands. 

1 hour ago, Jehane said:

He loves her. Also, their relationship is a bit different in the books - in the books, it has become frostier, they are more distant, and I think he's starting to realise (in the books) that he's been played and manipulated. On the show, Cersei tells him that she told Tywin about herself and Jaime and that she wants to be with him. That's basically her telling him that she loves him - all he ever wanted. The show made Cersei not as bitchy as she is in the books and not nearly half as insane. She's a different character on the show, and while she accuses him of having been away for such a long time (S4), she comes around and seems to truly love him. I don't think she's playing a trick on him there.

Yeah i guessing we will be reminded jaime has only been with cersei and loved her but jamie will find out that she has had different lovers when he was away. He will realize she uses jaime just like she uses everyone else. 

Also i just don't see how in the books or show jon get brought back in winterfell. 

14 minutes ago, Emanresu said:

From the synopses I think we do see Bran in Ep 2 but the TOJ won't be until Ep 3.  I expect the resurrection mid-season, ep 5 or 6 or so.

Home synopsis says "Bran trains with the Three-Eyed Raven"; Oathbreaker synopsis says "Bran meets the past"

I think that is bran seeing jaime killing the king and etc...

If the show could delay the resurrection of Jon the pay off will be so rewarding. If they could also avoid going back to Dorne for a few episodes I feel like we'd be better off. I want more Bran and I want flashbacks BAD. Probably gonna get our first look at Euron though which is long overdue for me.

I can't get behind the "glamour" Jon theory. I don't see a benefit of having a glamoured Jon. What would the point be? What would Mel try to achieve by glamouring someone into Jon? The removal of Mel's necklace/showing her true form was just to portray how worn out/run down she really is and how down she is about her faith. She's at a very low point, which is very important. I certainly do not think the point of that scene was to set up a possible glamouring of someone in the future. It just doesn't make much sense to do that. 

Why is it important that Mel is at a very low point? This exchange between Thoros of Myr and Mel is why:

Thoros of Myr: [in English] I've always been a terrible priest. Drank too much rum. Fucked all the whores in King's Landing. It's a terrible thing to say, but... by the time I came to Westeros, I didn't believe in our Lord. I decided that He, that all the gods, were stories we told the children to make them behave. So I wore the robes, and every now and then, I'd recite the prayers. It was just for show. A spectacle for the locals. Until the Mountain drove a lance through this one's heart. 
[Thoros points at Beric
Thoros of Myr: I knelt beside his cold body, and said the old words. Not because I believed in them, but... he was my friend. And he was dead. And they were the only words I knew. And for the first time in my life, the Lord replied. Beric's eyes opened. And I knew the truth: our God is the one true God... and all men must serve Him.

When Thoros brought back Beric, it was when he gave up on his faith. Mel is getting to that point. Her visions of Stannis have all been wrong and now Jon's dead even though 'she saw him on the battlefield at Winterfell'. She's getting to the point where she probably doesn't believe in her lord, either. Why should she? Everything's she's believed in has been seemingly false. This sets up the option for her, like Thoros, to say the words to Jon and have the Lord reply by bringing him back and restoring her faith. 

8 hours ago, Ibbison from Ibben said:

Definitely!  Did you read Issaac's interview where he says he will play the role of kingmaker and cause an earthquake?

"And it looks like we are going to see a lot of Bran in Season 6: the young Isaac Hempstead Wright offers these tantalizing glimpses during his PR rounds: “I can’t say a lot, but I am back this season and it’s going to get particularly interesting with Bran. He has some interesting visions.” In another interview Hempstead hints at Bran taking on the role of “kingmaker,” to “expect lots of magic,” and “extraordinary enabling abilities” that could cause an “earthquake” in Westeros. What kind of earthquake? Hempstead doesn’t say"

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/game-of-thrones-season-6-bran-stark-confirms-return-and-weighs-in-on-the-jon-snow-debate-10386913.html

Winterfell godswood is a good location as well.  I think Bloodraven will be the blood sacrifice, but I also believe that he has planned to use Ghost for his final life - only BR will be cognizant of the events around him and he will not forget himself to the beast he wargs.  [My wildest theory is that BR warged the male direwolf that impregnated the female, giving her Ghost especially for JS and for himself after Jon's warg leaves Ghost to return to its host.]

I really love the water baptism - nice touch!  The water imagery is big in the novels, and Martin baptizes many characters in water, blood, sewer waste, tears, etc.

I do think the earthquake may be Bran awakening the stone Starks, turning stone to flesh, powerful, stern, merciless Stark men to march with Jon to turn back the Long Night.  I hope Ghost transforms into the Ice Dragon, only he will look like Falcor the Luck Dragon from the Neverending Story.  Shaggy Dog looks like the Gmork.

Or, the earthquake may be the Wall weakening, although I believe that Bloodraven has the vested interest at this location, and Bran not as much, especially if Jon heads for WF - or his corpse is secreted there by Davos.

26 minutes ago, evita mgfs said:

I really love the water baptism - nice touch!  The water imagery is big in the novels, and Martin baptizes many characters in water, blood, sewer waste, tears, etc.

And Bran is half Tully. In the books at Hoster's funeral, Catelyn claims that the Tullys "draw their strength from the river". Bran should have some kind of a connection with water. 

Because Martin has said that there will never be actual proof that any of the gods in his saga are real, it's unlikely in the extreme that the Lord of Light actually raised Lord Beric and Lady Catelyn from the dead, or even Coldhands.

There must be a plausible alternate non-divine agent, not a god, who could be who's pulling the strings of these animated corpses.

Jon may well stay dead, even if Bloodraven or Bran marionette him  It may well be that Jon will live out his second life as Ghost, and his body will just be scarecrow of his former self, never again alive even if no longer mobility challenged.

Archived