Is the show really going to finish in 8 seasons?

I have trouble believing the show can be finished in 8 seasons without it feeling rushed. Are they trying to throw us off? 

If you look at what plots season 6 has they've thrown in parts of AFFC and ADWD. They've given Yara Victarions role, Sam is off to the citadel, Arya is training in Braavos. Jaime heading to the riverlands for the siege of riverun. These could arguably be story fillers. 

Jon's story will be the aftermath of his death at castle black, then getting resurrected. And battle of winterfell.

Dany - in Vaes Dothrak, rescued by Drogon, heads back to Meereen with a khalasar, then meets Yara. 

Tyrion - preparing for the battle of Meereen.

Bran - greenseer training and potentially the cave getting attacked by white walkers. 

Is this seriously the whole story from TWoW? Let's bare it in mind theres ADoS yet. I understand they're diverging from books but  I feel like D&D are taking a huge gamble diverging from the novels. It's okay to do it in bits but they need to be careful trying to rush it. I understand that there's no more novels to refer to but I don't believe Grrm didn't offer a brief outline of how TWoW would go. Surely they're going to be sticking to an outline based around the books?

They've missed a trick in not allowing Doran to be a master schemer in this season it could have erased the damage of the sandsnakes from last season. 

They've got to be careful because diverging too much could mean diverging from what GoT is all about.

First of all, RIP Doran. I do agree on that point.

I think that with a lot of the subtleties gone in the TV show - Littlefinger's complex plotting in the North, the Karstarks, presumably much of the Citadel stuff, most of Dorne by the looks of it, Aegon, and I imagine the Greyjoy story will be thinned out a lot - the show's inevitable conclusion is going to be a lot more "fight & bicker" rather than whatever GRRM has in mind.

I suspect they'll stick to GRRM's outline for this season, but they've probably made their peace with the fact that GRRM won't have Book 7 out this decade, so they'd rather conclude the story in a way that will please TV fans rather than try and be loyal to what is essentially another author's outline.

But more to the point, the real push here is cast-related. Both the rising stars in the cast and the established actors can't be expected to put their lives and careers on hold forever, no matter how much HBO is paying them! To get other theatre or regular TV roles isn't easy when you're required to report to a scattered part of Europe for several months each year, often to film for only a few minutes' screentime per episode. It worries me to think that the series could lose Dinklage, Headey or anyone similarly important before it ends. I'm sure it's been a lot easier to renew contracts with the assurance that the show will reach an endpoint.

And yes: I think it will inevitably feel rushed. For instance whether or not Dany ever makes it to Westeros (I think she kinda has to on the TV series, even if not in the books), that will surely feel like an anticlimax unless it occupies at least a season and a half, I would argue.  Still, I'm staying hopeful!

D&d tend to make battles into one episode, so any upcoming battle can happen in 45 minutes. No big problem there. I think D&d are going to start to "Dorne" all plots they won't use, and simply kill people here and there.

Also, there isn't really that much things left to do in the next books. Dany is likely returning for the final book (we don't have to see all her trip documented), after Westeros is about to be invaded by the Others. A lot of characters are starting to merge too.

If these latest leaks are correct, absolutely. Not only have Benioff and Weiss consolidated a lot of the narrative, they also tend to have a complete disregard for the concept of travel and how long it should take.

The show is already rushed.

People teleport,

Time is inconsintent,(Little finger, Sand snakes)

No character buildup (stannis must have slowly gone mad. Not one day just kill his daughter)

And,

With S6E1, I am convinced, they WILL wind it up in 7 or 8 seasons. That too with lesser episodes.

Rwmember 13?

1 hour ago, Faint said:

If these latest leaks are correct, absolutely. Not only have Benioff and Weiss consolidated a lot of the narrative, they also tend to have a complete disregard for the concept of travel and how long it should take.

I can't speak Spanish and the translate isn't working well what did he say?

1 hour ago, Faint said:

Dafuq is that video?

40 minutes of some dude talking in what language?

What is the spoiler?

2 minutes ago, robasp2 said:

Dafuq is that video?

40 minutes of some dude talking in what language?

What is the spoiler?

Ok looked up in reddit an

Spoiler

Ramsay kills Roose/Walda

Euron kills Balon

Bran sees a WF flashback and Hodor once could speak properly

Throne is not killed but his plot if foiled

an Mel's initial attempt to bring back Jon fails but when Ghost goes to sniff him he starts to move *end episode*

1 minute ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

Hide contents

Ramsay kills Roose/Walda

Euron kills Balon

an Mel's initial attempt to bring back Jon fails but when Ghost goes to sniff him he starts to move *end episode*

Thanks...

I would have said it seemed too stupid or just fanfiction..

But, um. No nowdays random stuff like this happens on the show with no reason.

I would think Roose lasts longer and I would hunch Walda dying in childbirth but then again, there is actually little screen time when in context of the whole show so things are rushing forward like water down a toilet. Fatster and faster till it is gone. So it seems but then again, the cersei stuff takes forever. Sick of it.

I used to think it would be impossible to do it in under 10 seasons. But that was based on the assumption that the end game Martin had planned was much further off, and was also not the one that everyone is expecting.

The news that they think they can do it 13 more episodes after this season makes me suspect Martins end game isn't all that complex, which is why he's dithering and adding plot elements to delay and pad out his story. 

It could well be possible to do it all much sooner without all the padding. Which is essentially what we seem to be seeing already. 

Its a shame to have it all rush towards the end but really that is better than dragging it all out and maybe never finishing 

I think D&D are much more likely to wrap their shit up in 7-8 seasons, than GRRM wrapping his up in seven books. For one, they actually cut stuff out, and finish story lines. Doran Martell (and whatever his plan was) - gone. Stannis Baratheon - gone. Young Griff - never was. Lady Stoneheart - maybe

Yeah, they can wrap it up. And dragging the show for too long will turn GOT into a soap opera.

Given what they did with Dorne in 1 or 2 minutes, what they did before with Stannis, Mance, Barristan, LSH... and Aegon. I have no doubt they can finish in no time their telling. With less episodes to cram more battles, the last ones will be reduced to shouts, gore and explosions. Not much dialogues left. IMHO, a dismal perspective, but fully in line with their Dorne strategy.

46 minutes ago, BalerionTheCat said:

Given what they did with Dorne in 1 or 2 minutes, what they did before with Stannis, Mance, Barristan, LSH... and Aegon. I have no doubt they can finish in no time their telling. With less episodes to cram more battles, the last ones will be reduced to shouts, gore and explosions. Not much dialogues left. IMHO, a dismal perspective, but fully in line with their Dorne strategy.

Mance was okay.. I never read the books so I never compare, and I didnt feel Mance was rushed/ruined.

Barristian, well maybe. But still okay wrt time.

Stannis & Dorne shit was too quick. No buildup.

It sucked. I dont care how many people say otherwise. It sucked.

They have one whole year to optimize their scripts and dialogues..yet why such unplanned stuff?

10 hours ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

Reveal hidden contents

Ramsay kills Roose/Walda

Euron kills Balon

That is a pretty terrible translation of what he said.

Spoiler

For one, Melisandre's resurrection attempt was successful but she left the room with Davos and Tormund before Jon woke up.

7 minutes ago, Faint said:

Hide contents

For one, Melisandre's resurrection attempt was successful but she left the room with Davos and Tormund before Jon woke up.

so they are basically ripping off Buffy. A lot of shows do that recently.

9 minutes ago, Faint said:

Hide contents

Makes more sense

Archived