Who got shafted worse? Doran Martell or Stannis Baratheon

I'll go first.  Doran got shafted worse, Stannis killed his daughter, lost his wife, army abandoned him, and got killed by Brienne.

Doran lost his daughter and his first born son, lost his life, his bodyguard's life, his youngest sons life, and the indignity of being killed by horrible teenage mutant ninja sandsnakes, as opposed to a legitimate fighter like Brienne.

In terms of how they are portrayed from the show to the book I think Doran got shafted as well. They just portrayed him as naïve and weak in the show whereas in the book he is much more cunning and may still have secrets yet to be revealed about his long game plan.

Though their portrayal of Stannis wasn't the best, at least they allowed him to do something of importance, Doran did pretty much nothing before getting the axe.

20 minutes ago, matsuki said:

Is Stannis dead? Seems too weird to have left that out and have Roose specifically ask if Ramsay saw "the man" who cut him down...nobody saw anyone cut him down.

I think that was supposed to be a joke

Because there wasn't a man who cut him down, it was a woman

Harhar so cleaver d&d

Cue slowclap

I'm gonna have to go with Doran. Mainly because I've never been a huge Stannis fan, although what D&D did to him was atrocious, I'll freely admit that anytime. But Doran got way less screentime than Stannis and he did nothing. Literally nothing. They wasted an interesting character and a good actor with him. D&D clearly have no idea what they're doing, they're making it up as they go, and at this point, they don't even care. They never were geniuses, but at least there was a time they somewhat cared about making a good adaptation. The whole butchering Stannis and Doran shows that clearly. They didn't even adress the Dorne scenes in this week's very insightful "Inside the episode" video, because I think they know what a clusterfuck that whole storyline is. I mean there are gaping plotholes left and right that they just can't explain.  

2 minutes ago, Ambria said:

I think that was supposed to be a joke

Because there wasn't a man who cut him down, it was a woman

Harhar so cleaver d&d

Cue slowclap

Definitely...but we didn't see his head roll. (Not yet at least) Not too often the show shies away from that mess....and then there's the idea that another life is needed to pay for Jon's second life. Maybe not too tinfoil if you consider the actor's comments didn't come out until after season 6 was shot....

5 minutes ago, matsuki said:

Definitely...but we didn't see his head roll. (Not yet at least) Not too often the show shies away from that mess....and then there's the idea that another life is needed to pay for Jon's second life. Maybe not too tinfoil if you consider the actor's comments didn't come out until after season 6 was shot....

Oh I'm not shunning the idea of Stannis being alive, It could happen, I just don't think that's what they were hinting at with that particular piece of dialogue

Both were screwed, but Doran got the worst deal.

Stannis at least got to go out fighting and being killed by Brienne as a direct result of killing Renly. Hence we at least have some karmic and narrative closure to a major story point from 3 seasons back.

Doran...was murdered by his brother's lover and daughter with his son being murdered by two other nieces. And apparently the guards are okay with this even though they'd previously thwarted Ellaria's first attempt on Myrcella's life before...despite being under Ellaria's control? Nothing here makes any sense...

If we're talking last Season, then I'd say Barristan got shafted worse than Stannis.

In the books Stannis's story seemed to be going on a downward spiral (though burning your show daughter was pretty harsh)

but ser Barristan the bold greatest swordsman in Westeros gets killed by a few poncey haircut silk pyjama wearing Harpy WTF and now I'm pretty sure his story line of rallying together the troops and saving Mereen will be usurped by Tyrion

Stannis was way worse butchered they've made him burn his daughter ( Half my army is made up of unbelievers. I will have no burnings. Pray harder) , made him like a bad commander who lost the battle when 20 good men raided his camp "geniusly" written  and most of all made him deserted by his army and didn't give him the northern houses support like he had in the books. I kinda expectect Doran to go this way in the show since they didn't introduced Arianne Martell and young Griff so there was no way they could have made the Doran plot like in the books and still i'm about Doran's death cuz the actor playing him was so good and they've written such bad script for him. In 2 episodes they've managed to extinct 2 of the great houses of westeros Baratheons and Martells leaving only bastards alive gj producers.

I feel they just shouldn't have bothered with Doran. Seems pointless him ever even being there, seeing how rushed it all was. 

I really liked the Stannis stuff from last year however, they built an interesting story out of it and was a fantastic emotional tragedy. Wasn't the same as the books, but he was a major plus point of last season, whereas Doran will be an afterthought.

Stannis went from a character most viewers were rooting for in the first 8 episodes of season 5 to the most hated character in one episode, then he died. All of this just so D&D could force a moral listen about religious fanaticism onto the viewers. And this is coming from an atheist. D&D have absolutely no clue about how to do morally gray characters. Their attempts at morally ambiguous characters has simply been for characters to take 180 in their moral compass without it naturally arising from their character progression.

Archived