'I choose violence'

Barrystan the Bald

Hello all. I'm a longtime lurker who has finally plucked up the courage to sign up and post. Please be gentle.

So from the trailer for season 6, the one scene which really got me excited for the new season was the confrontation between Cersei and Lancel Lannister. The one where Lancel says: 'Order your man to step aside or there will be violence.' To which Cersei replies 'I choose violence.' 

The thing that I loved about it was that while I'm not particularly a fan of Cersei, the way she was treated in the last season coupled with Lena Headey's amazing portrayal of the character makes me wish for the character to gain some sort of vengeance. It's pretty rare to have a character that I can hate, yet still wish for some form of redemption.

How do we think this scene will play out? My hope is that Robert Strong gets to lay the smackdown on those religious zealots, but I suspect that we may be trolled and this scene will tease a confrontation but will eventually end in Lancel and his crew leaving before sh*t gets real. Would love to know what everyone else thinks. 

Welcome! 

And yes I agree with your prediction. I'm sure Cersei and the Sparrows will be ready to kill each other, but someone (Tommen or the High Sparrow) interrupt things and essentially tell Cersei "save it for the trial." 

I don't want Cersei to be redeemed, so to say. I want her to have a kickass story, but I don't want her to be a good person at the end. She's fucking crazy and that's what I like about her. Maybe we'll get a follow up scene where she says "fuck it, I am a monster" after saying Myrcella and Tommen were the only things that made her think she wasn't a monster. 

It was in the 'Red Band' trailer I believe. 

I wouldn't say that I want Cersei to be redeemed - I just think that the way this scenario has come about has been achieved very well (in both the show and the books). I love the fact that I can both deplore the things that Cersei has done, and yet somehow I want her to be victorious in this upcoming battle. Robert Strong is not the typical hero figure either - as the reanimated corpse of perhaps the most evil character in the series. So its weird to be rooting for him as Cersei's new protector as well.

9 minutes ago, Barrystan the Bald said:

I wouldn't say that I want Cersei to be redeemed - I just think that the way this scenario has come about has been achieved very well (in both the show and the books). I love the fact that I can both deplore the things that Cersei has done, and yet somehow I want her to be victorious in this upcoming battle. Robert Strong is not the typical hero figure either - as the reanimated corpse of perhaps the most evil character in the series. So its weird to be rooting for him as Cersei's new protector as well.

I guess I'm rooting for Cersei, and by extension the Mountain I presume, vs High Sparrow.  Indifferent vs. say, maybe, a sand snake.  Other than that, I'm really looking forward to both of their deaths.

I think cersei will sit at the table in the room as robert proceeds to rip off a man's hand with his zombie hands...

Also lancel and jaime have to have a talk right? 

also i think Cersei will kill tommen cause she will try to poison Margery and Tommen will drink of the poison himself. 

On 4/25/2016 at 7:04 AM, Barrystan the Bald said:

Hello all. I'm a longtime lurker who has finally plucked up the courage to sign up and post. Please be gentle.

So from the trailer for season 6, the one scene which really got me excited for the new season was the confrontation between Cersei and Lancel Lannister. The one where Lancel says: 'Order your man to step aside or there will be violence.' To which Cersei replies 'I choose violence.' 

The thing that I loved about it was that while I'm not particularly a fan of Cersei, the way she was treated in the last season coupled with Lena Headey's amazing portrayal of the character makes me wish for the character to gain some sort of vengeance. It's pretty rare to have a character that I can hate, yet still wish for some form of redemption.

How do we think this scene will play out? My hope is that Robert Strong gets to lay the smackdown on those religious zealots, but I suspect that we may be trolled and this scene will tease a confrontation but will eventually end in Lancel and his crew leaving before sh*t gets real. Would love to know what everyone else thinks. 

Welcome and I suspect that Tommen at the end of the season, will be declared a Bastard and the Faith comes to remove him from the Iron Throne as they are telling Cersie to tell Robert Strong to "step asside" which to me means, get out of the way while we seize your bastard son. This will be what sets everthing "off" in Kings Landing. Probably in the finale.

21 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

Welcome and I suspect that Tommen at the end of the season, will be declared a Bastard and the Faith comes to remove him from the Iron Throne as they are telling Cersie to tell Robert Strong to "step asside" which to me means, get out of the way while we seize your bastard son. This will be what sets everthing "off" in Kings Landing. Probably in the finale.

But the Faith don't have evidence to prove Tommen is a bastard do they?

35 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

Really? i think the choose violence scene is next episode. Lancel gets captured and now the faith has no evidence for any other crimes of cersei's. Some episode in the future Jame and Lancel will have a meeting about why lancel abandoned his family for the faith. Jaime will find out about Lancel and Cersei. 

7 minutes ago, 239JMFL34109 said:

Really? i think the choose violence scene is next episode. Lancel gets captured and now the faith has no evidence for any other crimes of cersei's. Some episode in the future Jame and Lancel will have a meeting about why lancel abandoned his family for the faith. Jaime will find out about Lancel and Cersei. 

I do not think so, I think it comes later but Jaime will find out that Cersie and Lancel had an affair and that will be before he departs for the Riverlands and that will change his storyline or it should.

Just now, A Ghost of Someone said:

I do not think so, I think it comes later but Jaime will find out that Cersie and Lancel had an affair and that will be before he departs for the Riverlands and that will change his storyline or it should.

I think jamie finds out about it in episode 3. i fell like a confrontation is going to happen pretty soon with the tyrells and lannister vs the faith.  The faith ends up given up margaery and Loras. so he leaves for the riverlands in episode 3 or 4. 

On 4/28/2016 at 6:28 PM, Barrystan the Bald said:

That's one of the trademarks of this remarkable show. Characters you may dislike at first, or feel indifferent about (to say it least), you may end up rooting for.
Wild-lings - at first we see them through the pov of people south of the wall (and their limited beliefs). Then via Jon Snow we get to know them, and maybe like them (I did).
NW - at first we think of them as that cool ancient special military formation. However, later on, when JS enters wild-ling village for the 1st time, (when he stares at the giant), by reaction of the kids you can see - "crows" are classic villains, even dressed all in black. What to even say after this latest episode - NW is more like towards the other end of the spectrum.
Jamie Lannister, at first appears as arrogant prick, Hound as Joffrey's bodyguard and so on.

Episodes with Cersei and High Sparrow are the pinnacle of the above paradox. Cersei of all people, they'll never top it. I have to admit, at one point I told my wife - if Joffrey was there he would wipe the floor with this f-ck.

Cersei in-prisoned, and no-one there to take her out (by her own doing, for the most part); pure, righteous and judgmental HS and his followers (and among them, Lancel of all people) - that's the show. All in details. Not so much about the final outcome, but how they tell the story.

Finally, who knows, I wouldn't be surprised if Danny ends up being an anti-hero. Reversed path - She starts as "innocence" and in extremely difficult environment, may end up burning alive her enemies big time - All rulers are rather buchers or meat.

1 hour ago, Tyrosh said:

Finally, who knows, I wouldn't be surprised if Danny ends up being an anti-hero. Reversed path - She starts as "innocence" and in extremely difficult environment, may end up burning alive her enemies big time - All rulers are rather buchers or meat.

That has crossed my mind.

Archived