Melissandre spoilers included

aryagonnakill#2

50 minutes ago, pigpiginsunspear said:

Wait a minute- Shireen being burned is confirmed?? Do you have a source on this? Haha unsure how I missed that.

Argh, sorry if I spoiled that, but yes. It's in one of their "Inside the Episode" from last season (the one after the episode in question, I suppose). They said "Martin told us". I remember because Linda went ballistic.

1 hour ago, shk12344 said:

There was never link or actual statement confirming Mel as the  last survivor. It's an unconfirmed internet rumor where someone supposedly said it but actual link was never provided.

As for what D&D says about the characters. If they misquoted GRRM then I'm sure George would have gone on record to correct them. So far he hasn't done that . There is no reason to believe D&D are wrong.

There is no reason to believe that GRRM would want to correct them. If they are wrong it will be revealed when TWOW or ADOS comes out. If GRRM confirms what they say, then he has doubled down on the spoiling of his own books. So, I think GRRM saying nothing one way or the other is to be expected.

1 hour ago, 239JMFL34109 said:

400 years is a very specific age to throw around when they could just be saying old. it also would put her around the age to have seen the fall of valyria. Maybe this is the character whose point of view we get when we see valyrian in the past like GRRM mentioned once. 

I think the shadow binding and burning people don't have anything to do with one another. quathie was also a shadow binder but she doesn't seem to follow the same religion. I think she has been using the sacrifices  to keep herself alive. I am not sure if she really believes in stannis or is just trying to make the prophecy come true with stannis.  

there was also the guy who played the maester in season one he said the same age in an interview years ago.

You're correct. Shadow binding is completely separate from the whole red priest gig. Melisandre may have decided to learn shadow binding after she read the prophecies that scared her so badly.

Just now, bent branch said:

There is no reason to believe that GRRM would want to correct them. If they are wrong it will be revealed when TWOW or ADOS comes out. If GRRM confirms what they say, then he has doubled down on the spoiling of his own books. So, I think GRRM saying nothing one way or the other is to be expected.

D&D is on the video stating GRRM told them Mel was several centuries old. Video link below, starts at 2.50 minutes

"...going back very early conversation with Georg Martin about her, she was supposed to be several centuries old."

It's part of ongoing HBO video series where GRRM has appeared in the past to explain the book and the show.

56 minutes ago, pigpiginsunspear said:

Wait a minute- Shireen being burned is confirmed?? Do you have a source on this? Haha unsure how I missed that.

It start at 1:30 minute mark....

2 hours ago, bent branch said:

You're correct. Shadow binding is completely separate from the whole red priest gig. Melisandre may have decided to learn shadow binding after she read the prophecies that scared her so badly.

They dropped a line in the show that they filmed where she drops that she is 400 years old. The actors who played the maester talked about it and so did the actress herself. Seem like something they were told a long time ago. 

Here is my question: will we finally here the prince that was promised prophecy?  

Ok, to sum the whole thing a bit. We know, about Mel:

- Her real name is Melony

- She was a slave / sold as a slave.

- She's very old, very likely 400 years old.

- She has been in Asshai, where she learned mostly of her magic.

While the "400" number could be a coincidence, I doubt it. I think she is indeed around 400 years old because 400 years ago was the Doom.

Now, my theory is that Melisandre is not exactly "immortal" but she simply won't die of natural causes. Beric Dondarrion is not exactly a good example because he kept getting himself killed:

Impaled
Smashed with a mace on the side of the head
Hanged
Stabbed in the eye
Killed by an archer of the Brave Companions
Killed by Sandor Clegane in a trial by combat.

So, I guess that, if someone tries to cut Mel's head, she won't keep walking around and would be dead for good. As Beric "gave up" his life for Stoneheart, we don't know what would have happened had Beric decided to retire and leave peacefully somewhere. Maybe he would get to live until he's 500 years :dunno: And maybe, he's immune to diseases or even poison.

Now, about her origin, I think she died at some point, either because she was a slave or because magic was involved. She was brought back like Beric or Stoneheart, but she retained her mind because her death wasn't "traumatic" nor was she brought back six times. If she doesn't remember clearly things from her past, it's because 400 years have passed already. It's natural she forgets thing as anyone forgets things from even last year :dunno:

In relation to Valyria, I think she somehow heard from first hand about the AA prophecies, and that's a fixed memory in her mind. I think it's not coincidence she headed to Dragonstone, the home of the Targaryens, but she doesn't really know why. The fact she's "fire" and she's fighting the Great Other, who is "Ice", might be something she remembers from when she was in Valyria, and not just from her time in Asshai.

47 minutes ago, shk12344 said:

D&D is on the video stating GRRM told them Mel was several centuries old. Video link below, starts at 2.50 minutes

"...going back very early conversation with Georg Martin about her, she was supposed to be several centuries old."

It's part of ongoing HBO video series where GRRM has appeared in the past to explain the book and the show.

It start at 1:30 minute mark....

Look, I'm not questioning what D&D said. I've seen that for myself. What I was responding to was your statement:

As for what D&D says about the characters. If they misquoted GRRM then I'm sure George would have gone on record to correct them. So far he hasn't done that . There is no reason to believe D&D are wrong.

Then I said:

I don't know why you interpreted this exchange as doubting D&D made the statements they did, but hopefully this clears things up.

39 minutes ago, 239JMFL34109 said:

They dropped a line in the show that they filmed where she drops that she is 400 years old. The actors who played the maester talked about it and so did the actress herself. Seem like something they were told a long time ago. 

Here is my question: will we finally her the prince that was promised prophecy?  

Again, I know what those involved with the show are saying. We are in the book forums and in the books Melisandre implies that she learned shadow binding and read ancient texts in Asshai. There is nothing in the books where Melisandre implies she got any of her knowledge from Valyria or that she has ever been there. What I was agreeing with you about is that shadow binding does not appear to be a standard practice for red priests. I guess we can say Melisandre is showing initiative as far as the shadow binding.

Returning to the main topic. Can we use the word of D&D to tell us anything about what we can expect in the books? I say only if what they say has been foreshadowed in the books. Shireen burning was predicted by the fandom before it appeared in the show. D&D said GRRM told them about it and they chose to use it. This means they "spoiled" that Shireen burns. The how and why is still open as we know it can't be exactly how it is in the show.

D&D have said that GRRM has told them that Melisandre is several centuries old. Has Melisandre been foreshadowed to be much older than she appears in the books? Yes, she has. In fact, this reveal is not that surprising to those that have read the books because we have been expecting it. Does this mean that Melisandre is 400 years old and is the last survivor of the Doom of Valyria. I doubt it. I will first point out that this is not me denying that D&D said Melisandre is several centuries old. This is me saying that Melisandre being the last survivor of Valyria is NOT foreshadowed in the books. If you think differently you need to go find that proof yourself. I can't find proof of something I say doesn't exist.

Finally, if you want to use statements by D&D as evidence of something in the books, you need to also find the evidence in the books themselves. If all you are going to do is keep repeating that D&D said such and such, then you need to be in the show section. D&D saying something should not be an open back door to discussing the show in the books forum.

27 minutes ago, bent branch said:

Finally, if you want to use statements by D&D as evidence of something in the books, you need to also find the evidence in the books themselves. If all you are going to do is keep repeating that D&D said such and such, then you need to be in the show section. D&D saying something should not be an open back door to discussing the show in the books forum.

:agree:

13 minutes ago, bent branch said:

Again, I know what those involved with the show are saying. We are in the book forums and in the books Melisandre implies that she learned shadow binding and read ancient texts in Asshai. There is nothing in the books where Melisandre implies she got any of her knowledge from Valyria or that she has ever been there. What I was agreeing with you about is that shadow binding does not appear to be a standard practice for red priests. I guess we can say Melisandre is showing initiative as far as the shadow binding.

Returning to the main topic. Can we use the word of D&D to tell us anything about what we can expect in the books? I say only if what they say has been foreshadowed in the books. Shireen burning was predicted by the fandom before it appeared in the show. D&D said GRRM told them about it and they chose to use it. This means they "spoiled" that Shireen burns. The how and why is still open as we know it can't be exactly how it is in the show.

D&D have said that GRRM has told them that Melisandre is several centuries old. Has Melisandre been foreshadowed to be much older than she appears in the books? Yes, she has. In fact, this reveal is not that surprising to those that have read the books because we have been expecting it. Does this mean that Melisandre is 400 years old and is the last survivor of the Doom of Valyria. I doubt it. I will first point out that this is not me denying that D&D said Melisandre is several centuries old. This is me saying that Melisandre being the last survivor of Valyria is NOT foreshadowed in the books. If you think differently you need to go find that proof yourself. I can't find proof of something I say doesn't exist.

1) I was not saying she learned shadowing binding in valyria. where did i say that?

I said it seems like they were told this and it could change from when they learn this 6 years ago but that we know as book readers 400 year ago is important. IF she is 400 years there would be no proof that she is from there is am saying she might be a good candidate in the books for a POV character to give us a look at valyria. I would say bran and dany would also be good candidates for that as well. GRRM did mention once having at look at the place before the doom. 

2) we have no idea where Melisandre is from but we know it is not asshai. 

" She made it sound a simple thing, and easy. They need never know how difficult it had been, or how much it had cost her. That was a lesson Melisandre had learned long before Asshai "   ADWD mel 1

3) she does not have to be a survivor of the doom to give us a look at valyria before the doom.

4)  i was asking if we would get from her the text of the prophecy of the prince that was promised. We have parts of it in the book  but not the whole thing.  is there an actual song that people know in the world called the song of ice and fire? who do you think will reveal the whole thing? 

32 minutes ago, 239JMFL34109 said:

1) I was not saying she learned shadowing binding in valyria. where did i say that?

I said it seems like they were told this and it could change from when they learn this 6 years ago but that we know as book readers 400 year ago is important. IF she is 400 years there would be no proof that she is from there is am saying she might be a good candidate in the books for a POV character to give us a look at valyria. I would say bran and dany would also be good candidates for that as well. GRRM did mention once having at look at the place before the doom. 

2) we have no idea where Melisandre is from but we know it is not asshai. 

" She made it sound a simple thing, and easy. They need never know how difficult it had been, or how much it had cost her. That was a lesson Melisandre had learned long before Asshai "   ADWD mel 1

3) she does not have to be a survivor of the doom to give us a look at valyria before the doom.

4)  i was asking if we would get from her the text of the prophecy of the prince that was promised. We have parts of it in the book  but not the whole thing.  is there an actual song that people know in the world called the song of ice and fire? who do you think will reveal the whole thing? 

First, let me apologize. Only the first paragraph after your quote was in response to you. The rest was a more general rant. I can see where I didn't make that clear and I apologize.

1)  What I was responding to was where you pointed out that both Mel and Quaithe are shadow binders while Quaithe doesn't appear to be a follower of the same religion. And you're still correct.

2)  I didn't make the claim she came from Asshai. I have no idea where she came from. All I know is that she claims to have studied in Asshai. Indeed, Davos noted that at the whole flaming sword ceremony that she did everything in High Valyrian, Asshai and the Common Tongue. The quote you provided is proof that she was somewhere before she went to Asshai. I had to go read more of the text around the quote and what Mel is saying here is that what she learned long before Asshai is that she had to present herself as confident and powerful in order to get people to believe her. It doesn't really show what actual magic she did or did not learn in Asshai.

3)  You are right.

4)  Melisandre is a potential source for the entire prophecy. I hope someone reveals it. I will say that Melisandre appears to be making the claim that she got the information on the prophecy from Asshai:

"In ancient books of Asshai it is written that there will come a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world In this dread hour a warrior shall draw fron the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he sho clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again and the darkness shall flee before him." ACOK-Chapter 10.

On April 25, 2016 at 1:54 PM, Ser Gareth said:

I do love this forum and the way people seem to constantly question D&D's basic level of intelligence or dismiss them as liars.  They are quite successful at their craft.  They aren't dumb.  I'm pretty sure they have discussed in great length and detail many nuances of the story and back  story with GRRM.  As demonstrated with the Mercy chapter they definitely have access to unreleased material.

GRRM is not infallible.  D&D are not 100% fallible.  People need to stop trying to spin things to suit their hopes and views and face some facts.  D&D know more about the story and lore than almost everyone who posts on these forums.  They speak directly to the man himself.  If they are unsure about something I am sure they can just give GRRM a quick call and clarify.

A year ago the D's did an interview and basically admitted they never read past Storm/ the red wedding. It's at the 13:50 mark. 

And it is explained that there are only 4 people in the writers room and GRRM is not one of them. http://collider.com/game-of-thrones-how-a-season-is-written-bryan-cogman/

George doesn't meet with them that often anymore and he has not written an episode since season 3. He has not told the showrunners everything. 

"They know certain things. I’ve told them certain things. So they have some knowledge, but the devil is in the details." http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2014/03/george-r-r-martin-interview

As to the OP, it's possible that the ones interviewed were purposely ambiguous because the show isn't able to go into the full background stories of each character and maybe, for show purposes, the only thing we need to know is that Mel is really old.

I know the Bloodraven+Shiera= Mel theory and it is very convincing, but maybe a few too many circumstantial pieces of info. 

Radio Westeros does a great job of explaining the theory, even if you don't agree  http://radiowesteros.com/radio-westeros-e03-melisandre-a-red-red-star

3 hours ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

Ok, to sum the whole thing a bit. We know, about Mel:

- Her real name is Melony

- She was a slave / sold as a slave.

- She's very old, very likely 400 years old.

- She has been in Asshai, where she learned mostly of her magic.

While the "400" number could be a coincidence, I doubt it. I think she is indeed around 400 years old because 400 years ago was the Doom.

Now, my theory is that Melisandre is not exactly "immortal" but she simply won't die of natural causes. Beric Dondarrion is not exactly a good example because he kept getting himself killed:

Impaled
Smashed with a mace on the side of the head
Hanged
Stabbed in the eye
Killed by an archer of the Brave Companions
Killed by Sandor Clegane in a trial by combat.

So, I guess that, if someone tries to cut Mel's head, she won't keep walking around and would be dead for good. As Beric "gave up" his life for Stoneheart, we don't know what would have happened had Beric decided to retire and leave peacefully somewhere. Maybe he would get to live until he's 500 years :dunno: And maybe, he's immune to diseases or even poison.

Now, about her origin, I think she died at some point, either because she was a slave or because magic was involved. She was brought back like Beric or Stoneheart, but she retained her mind because her death wasn't "traumatic" nor was she brought back six times. If she doesn't remember clearly things from her past, it's because 400 years have passed already. It's natural she forgets thing as anyone forgets things from even last year :dunno:

In relation to Valyria, I think she somehow heard from first hand about the AA prophecies, and that's a fixed memory in her mind. I think it's not coincidence she headed to Dragonstone, the home of the Targaryens, but she doesn't really know why. The fact she's "fire" and she's fighting the Great Other, who is "Ice", might be something she remembers from when she was in Valyria, and not just from her time in Asshai.

Melisandre is like an elf from Lord of the Rings? I like it. I keep going back and forth re: Mel being undead a la Beric or just really really old a la Nicholas Flamel, but the idea that her death was different from Beric's and Stoneheart's, which is why she is still mentally with it, is very interesting. Of course, it was the events leading up to Cat's death which were so traumatic; to me, her actual death would have been a bizarre form of relief, at least the anguish of watching the brutality of the Red Wedding was finally over. But by that point she had lost her mind, lost herself. I do wish we had seen Beric earlier in his death cycle, to see the change in his mental state over time.

About Beric's retirement: I don't think he would be immune to disease or poison, as he was originally mortal and is still susceptible to other forms of death, but I would think Thoros would be able to bring him back from such a death, if he was still around. Beheading, or death by some other dismemberment, would seem to be the only non-recoverable-by-kiss death.

One other thing we know about Melisandre is she does not require sustenance, but sometimes takes food and drink to keep up appearances. I think Beric also mentions not eating or drinking, which, if true, would help make the case Melisandre had received the kiss at some time. Perhaps R'hollorism has a ritual similar to the drowning ceremony we saw Damphair performing? Slaves are (peacefully?) sacrificed, and then are given the Kiss, and those who recover get to join the clergy? Could explain Thoros's comment about seeing the kiss performed many times.

2 hours ago, Eden-Mackenzie said:

Melisandre is like an elf from Lord of the Rings? I like it. 

LOL, yeah, that's what I was thinking... but I didn't want to say it U_U

About Beric's retirement: I don't think he would be immune to disease or poison, as he was originally mortal and is still susceptible to other forms of death, but I would think Thoros would be able to bring him back from such a death, if he was still around. Beheading, or death by some other dismemberment, would seem to be the only non-recoverable-by-kiss death.

One other thing we know about Melisandre is she does not require sustenance, but sometimes takes food and drink to keep up appearances. I think Beric also mentions not eating or drinking, which, if true, would help make the case Melisandre had received the kiss at some time.

I mean that he became immune to those things after he was brought back once, which I think happened to Melisandre and that's the reason why drinking poison, not eating or not sleeping doesn't affect her. She's alive, but her body doesn't work human any more. She can age, though.

But this is just speculation. We don't really know if Beric would still be alive 400 years later. He might, he might not.

Perhaps R'hollorism has a ritual similar to the drowning ceremony we saw Damphair performing? Slaves are (peacefully?) sacrificed, and then are given the Kiss, and those who recover get to join the clergy? Could explain Thoros's comment about seeing the kiss performed many times.

You might have a point here. I wonder if the reason the Ironborn perform this ritual is because they are inspired by the R'hollorists, or the other way around. Or it's not necessarily related (many religions practice similar rites without being related in any way).

From all that I have read, the attempts to associate Melisandre with Bloodraven are not well supported. As to her age, we have three separate statements:

(1) Carice telling the actor playing Maester Cressen that the character is 400 years old.  See here.

(2) Carice subsequently saying that she did not know Melisandre's exact age but that she is "way over 100 years."  See here.

(3) David Benioff's statement that Melisandre is "several" centuries old as told to him by Martin.  See here.

Taken together, I distrust the first statement most because: it is hearsay; based on recollection almost a year in the past; and Carice basically admitted she does not know the character's age beyond the fact that she is ancient. I believe that Benioff and Weiss told Carice exactly what they told us, that Melisandre is several centuries old without specifying further (probably because Martin did not specify further to them).

In any case, it seems clear to me that Melisandre is considerably older than Bloodraven. Bloodraven is 127 years old or so, Melisandre, at minimum, is almost twice that figure, if not older.

I personally doubt Melisandre has any secret identity. She is simply a former child slave from Essos that was sold to the Red Temple and eventually dabbled in dark sorcery, thereby prolonging her life.

Strange voices called to her from days long past. "Melony," she heard a woman cry. A man’s voice called, "Lot Seven."

She was sold a slave in Asshai. Possibly, but not likely, she was already old and powerful when she was sold. More likely, she learned her trade in Asshai, with the shadowbinders and the red priests.

She made it sound a simple thing, and easy. They need never know how difficult it had been, or how much it had cost her. That was a lesson Melisandre had learned long before Asshai; the more effortless the sorcery appears, the more men fear the sorcerer.

IMO, the thing she learned before Asshai was to hide how much it had cost her. It could apply to sorcerer. It could apply much better to a sex slave. Something someone assaulted, violated, abused, would learn. Even a child could learn that. Long before being sold in Asshai.

4 hours ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

I mean that he became immune to those things after he was brought back once, which I think happened to Melisandre and that's the reason why drinking poison, not eating or not sleeping doesn't affect her. She's alive, but her body doesn't work human any more. She can age, though.

If she died some time ago, she should not age. Look at the Waif. But I understand the show would have to show an old woman, to let us know she is old.

8 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

A year ago the D's did an interview and basically admitted they never read past Storm/ the red wedding.

Whoa, David Benioff admitting he doesn't know or remember Sam is a POV. Impressive.

@BalerionTheCat

It is actually not likely that Melony/Melisandre was sold as a slave in Asshai. The whole 'lot seven' thing suggests that she was sold in Ghiscari slave auction since the auction of Tyrion, Penny, and Jorah went exactly the same. There is no reason to believe that there are even slave auctions in Asshai, and even if there were it would be a pretty big stretch that they would work exactly the same way as those in Slaver's Bay.

And considering Mel's religious indoctrination it is more likely she was first the chattel of some Red Temple and eventually were sent to Asshai/decided to go there later in her career. Whether R'hllor is even worshiped in Asshai isn't clear, either. Mel mentions ancient scrolls from Asshai but whether those are just some scrolls containing prophecies or whether they are part of R'hllorian religion isn't clear at all.

39 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

@BalerionTheCat

It is actually not likely that Melony/Melisandre was sold as a slave in Asshai. The whole 'lot seven' thing suggests that she was sold in Ghiscari slave auction since the auction of Tyrion, Penny, and Jorah went exactly the same. There is no reason to believe that there are even slave auctions in Asshai, and even if there were it would be a pretty big stretch that they would work exactly the same way as those in Slaver's Bay.

And considering Mel's religious indoctrination it is more likely she was first the chattel of some Red Temple and eventually were sent to Asshai/decided to go there later in her career. Whether R'hllor is even worshiped in Asshai isn't clear, either. Mel mentions ancient scrolls from Asshai but whether those are just some scrolls containing prophecies or whether they are part of R'hllorian religion isn't clear at all.

I mostly agree, it's clear she went to Asshai. The auctions however are less clear, we've only seen one, and they seemed to me just like any other auction, bidding on lots. Any big slave salesman might sell lots, mostly in the ghiscari region, but in the Free Cites there might be smaller slave markets.

11 hours ago, bent branch said:

It's not D&D making stuff up, it's relating what GRRM has told them in person. I will gladly choose facts given out by someone who actually had one on one conversation with George Martin  over  some fanboys third rate interpretation of ambiguous passages from the book.

3 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

@BalerionTheCat

Exactly! 100% my view. Didn't finish the story before. She was a slave somewhere. Her master was not having the pleasure he wanted. He sold her at the local market. Don't matter where. The red priests remarked her because she was strong willed and resilient. They bought her and sent her to Asshai for training.

She said "before Asshai".

ETA: I see. I said "She was sold a slave in Asshai". Was not my point. She possibly came a slave but she could have been sold anywhere. Sorry for the confusion.

9 hours ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

LOL, yeah, that's what I was thinking... but I didn't want to say it U_U

But this is just speculation. We don't really know if Beric would still be alive 400 years later. He might, he might not.

You might have a point here. I wonder if the reason the Ironborn perform this ritual is because they are inspired by the R'hollorists, or the other way around. Or it's not necessarily related (many religions practice similar rites without being related in any way).

Ahhh that makes sense, especially with the poison. 

About the aging thing: at this point we can be pretty sure Mel is wearing a glamour, but the question remains if it is to make her young, or beautiful, or young AND beautiful. 

Excluding Coldhands and the wights, the only undead we have seen are Beric and Stoneheart, and neither of them looked particularly peachy, but it is impossible to know if their appearances have aged with the progression of time, or simply aged due to trauma. However, if I had to guess, I would say it is the latter. Stoneheart spent a few days in the river, and between the skin pruning, the decomposition process in general, and the horror immediately prior to her death, it is really no wonder. Then there is Beric, who seems to have been revived pretty soon after each death, but none of his deaths were easy, peaceful deaths, and Arya seemed pretty shocked at his appearance. Thoros's appearance has also changed, but he is now living the life of a guerrilla rather than the king's drinking buddy

Returning to Coldhands and the wights, most them seem to have kept up their appearance, with a little frost detailing added by the elements. There are some descriptions of wighted creatures that look to be rotting, but that could be due to a lapse in time between dying and being wighted. We know from Maester Aemon that cold preserves and fire consumes. Perhaps this applies to the undead as well, and Melisandre hasn't aged so much as she has gradually been consumed by the fire? In comparison, Bloodraven and the Ghost of High Heart just look really really old, and as far as we know they have not yet died, and both are associated with the old gods.

7 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

@BalerionTheCat

I pretty much agree. I'm mostly just putting my vote in for the scrolls in Asshai to be non-R'hllorian. I think what Mel found in Asshai is what set her off on her unique path.

Archived